Am I fit enough for a Kettlebell class?

ulfric

My gym has a weekly kettlebell class that I’m considering signing up for. I’m f/34/250lbs. I’m down 100lbs from my peak so feel great...for me...

I’d love to join a class for social reasons, to also have someone check I’m not going to break myself (and, if I’m honest, because I like to get value for money and I paid for this membership). In your collective experience, what are the minimum fitness requirements for a kettle class?

@ulfric Depends on the class, but I'm guessing so long as it's a beginner class you'll be fine. Maybe consider hiring the instructor for a private lesson as a first go to get real good 1:1 form instruction so you can hit the ground running.

@on_a_mission_ Thanks. I’m considering asking to speak with the instructor first to ask some questions but wanted to know if it was something you had to be uber fit to do before I did it.

@ulfric Nope! Just willing to start and willing to keep with it long enough to improve! (improvement comes quickly that's why I love kettlebells)

@iamabcy This. If the teacher is worth anything they'll be able to help you scale the class to your ability level. I'd talk to them beforehand just so you know what to expect going in.

You'll probably just use less weight.

@ulfric I instruct kettlebell group classes in between personal training students. Any instructor worth their salt will be able to work with students at any level. Inquiring for a personal lesson is a great idea, just to nail down the basics. Go for it!

@ulfric My gym is a full on Kettlebell gym. I went in with no experience and completely out of shape. Everything can be modified. You can stay with no weight or very little weight. You’ll be fine.

@ulfric I teach kettlebell classes and everything I teach can be modified to a beginners level!
Just go for it, let the instructor know you're pretty new and if they're good they'll help you with any adjustments you need.

@ulfric i say go for it. my first kb class, i loved but my body wasnt prepared for it (ie the soreness in tye aftermath). hpwever i eventually went back and love it. it was basically my entry drug for weightlifting. that was a few yrs ago and KB still kicks my butt. i fell so strong from it but so beaten at the same time as i progress in weights. it is like a sadistic relationship for me that i fn love.

@ulfric Depends on the class. Often kettlebell classes are cardio circuits and it might be hard even without a kettlebell if you haven't been training lately. But talk to the instructor and take breaks when you feel like it even if it seems like you are slacking. Maybe take the first time as practice: do enough of the exercises to understand it and don't push your HR too high. Next time you'll have a better idea about it

@ulfric Yes, you should be okay, as most anyone would be provided a competent instructor. They should challenge you but first and foremost get you dialed in on form and working safely with weights you're comfortable with.

That said - it depends on the gym - if this is a normal commercial gym there's a very good chance the instructor doesn't actually know how to use kettlebells properly. I cringe at the amount of terrible instruction I've seen at local gyms and people squatting while they swing (indicator of bad instruction) etc. Ask your instructor what kettlebell specific certifications they have, and if they don't have one specifically for the bells I'd be a little wary.

Google Karen Smith on youtube and if you instructor doesn't seem to align with what she's teaching, ask more questions. It's not that it has to be done only one way, it's just that there really are a lot of people using them sloppily. For instance, if your lower back is sore even a little bit, you're doing it wrong. It's not hard to do right and they are an amazing tool, it's just that a lot of people don't put in short amount of time it takes to get properly acquainted.

@ulfric You should have a trainer with you to help you with form as you can injure yourself with even a light weight (my lower back can testify to this). My suggestion is do the first few workouts with bodyweight only to perfect your form, and then start building up your weight levels.

@ulfric You've already got some great advice. Just wanted to say congrats on the 100lbs! That's amazing! Good for you for getting after it and taking it to another level with bell work.

@ulfric Even if you are 500lbs and 90 years old you are fit enough for a kettlebell class. Anyone can kettlebell, just go light, take it easy, and have fun. Go for it!

Back