Am I too Old for gains? Muscle and Strength?

@lucaannibale I don't think you rest enough. Recovery is equally important to working out. I think you should consider reducing your strength training to 3 days a week instead of 5. You also seem like you might be in this kind of underfocused no-mans-land where it isn't clear what you're training for. You're priority is to get stronger and more muscular, but you sound like you're eating and training for a weight-loss deficit.

@lucaannibale I too am kid fourties and interested in maintaining muscle mass and gaining some.

The things I’ve hit on that have made a difference diet wise is protein grams per kilogram of bodyweight.

Nothing new with protein intake being considered important but the ranges I’ve heard discussed are on the low end 1gram per kilo of bodyweight up to 2grams per kilo of bodyweight.

Then the appropriate amount should come in amounts that are a minimum of 30grams. This 30grams is related to muscle protein synthesis.

Sources for this is largely from listening to the Dr Gabrielle Lyon podcast and the searching around the info and sources her guests discuss.

Seems legit to me. I’ve noticed a difference by trying to get 150grams of protein per day (I’m 100kgs) in three serves.

Note - I was well below this 150grams and I’d recommend building up from where you’re at to the number you want to get too. Rather than going in one hit.

In terms of your workouts. Could it be that you’re ‘used ‘ to the workouts? Not switching them up enough - search time under tension.

Disclaimer that I’m not an expert but I reckon this is a reasonable question given the amount of time you’re putting in - could you benefit from a full rest day?

@lucaannibale If your trainer reccomends you to take supplements, drop him ffs. Checkout Renaissance Periodization on youtube, goldmine. Try to look less often into the mirror. Focus more on how you workout, and the quality of the different elements of your workouts. Unless you are someone who has low appetite and is full after 3 bites, dont actively restrict your food consumption.

@lucaannibale There is such as thing as eating too little - your body starts to conserve energy and you end up burning less fat. Granted everyone is different, but given the amount you’re working out and your weight/height you should be eating a lot more than 1700 a day. Find a caloric calculator online to find out what your maintenance calories is, then eat 250-500 less than that but no more. Monitor for a few weeks and adjust accordingly.

@lucaannibale 47 is not too even close too to old.
  1. calories aren’t enough for gains. you need to do a bulk. if you want to cut first go for it. but you need to bulk.
  2. you need to add creatine and protein. well protein is just making sure your macros are right. it’s good you track calories. now track macros. carbs and fat are less important. just make sure protein is tracked. also add creatine.
  3. measuring strength gains with pull-ups is tough. because strength gains happen mostly in a bulk when bodyweight exercises become harder. you’ll see those gains when you bulk, gain strength and muscle, then cut and lose the excess fat.
  4. cardio is great but what are your goals with it? might be good to do a couple longer sessions at a lower heart rate (maintain a good job) and a couple shorter sessions with some high heart rate stuff (sprints idk)

@lucaannibale It doesn't sound like you're eating enough. I'm f44, significantly smaller and lighter than you, and probably average closer to 2200 calories daily. Try increasing calories, particularly in protein form.

@lucaannibale Creatine is one of the most well scientifically researched supplements and you can get it for like 30 bucks a kilo. No reason not to throw it in there.

I like potein powder to throw in my oats but you can just count your macros and prioritize getting enough and do alright. It’s more of a convenience/QOL thing.

Imo, that sounds like a lot of volume. No matter the modality make sure you’re utilizing progressive overload. 3-5 sets of high intensity compound movements scaling (with more reps, harder variations, or more weight) with each work out along with another 3-5 sets of accessory work has worked for me if I was in a bodybuilding gym or working on calisthenics. I’m in and out the gym in 30-40 minutes and have gotten good results.

You could also consider deloading. It’s been over a year you could be stalling and just need to cut your reps/weight in half and work your way back up then over. Powerlifters use this, your body has a hard time maintaining the same intensity and continuing to grow over long periods of time basically. Just my two cents based on what works for me.

@lucaannibale I turned 40 this summer and have been a long distance runner for a decade, started doing weightened bodyweight stuff early summer.

Every now and then i did something before but this time i stuck with it and noticed noticable gains on biceps, triceps, shoulders and upper back - and i'm probably pretty bad and weak.

I do kettlebell rows, band assisted chin ups (too weak for regular ones), resistance band pull downs, dead hangs, different push ups, kettlebell lat raises, weightened squats, step ups and bulgarian split squats.

And my diet is really bad atm, i do IF 16/8 but in my eating window there is lots of chocolate, cookies etc.

And i'm still seeing results.

I'm no way an expert but i'd guess you're doing too much with 5 days a week, eat more calories and throw in more protein sources and make sure ro rest and sleep properly.

I think it will work for you If it does for me.

@lucaannibale You're not too old. It's just a bit harder and you probably need to eat more.

Creatine is a great idea.

Protein, I assume he means supplementing it, which if you find it hard to get enough, yes. Not necessary though as you can just eat higher protein foods if you prefer. I like shakes, they're convinient.

@lucaannibale I’m a little younger, an inch taller, and 10 pounds heavier than you. I work out 5x a week but only 30 - 45 minutes a day and alternate cardio and body weight strength. I’d say you are not packing nearly enough protein in your diet and not resting enough. My trainer has me on 160 grams a day with a goal of almost 2700 calories a day. You could also benefit from some rest. Your body may not be getting the fuel and rest it needs to see gain.

@lucaannibale You absolutely should add creatine and protein. Get unflavored creatine and add it to your favorite morning beverage. Every day. There are some really tasty whey protein powders out there. Chocolate tends to be the safest flavor to start out with.

@lucaannibale Hey,
I commend you for your work ethic, that being said I’ve found that personally I can’t make muscular gains and lose weight at the same time, the work your putting out is being sustained by a weight loss nutrition plan.
In my opinion your body is starving and trying to retain nutrients and calories. I believe your trainer is correct in suggesting protein and creatine to supplement your nutrition plan. Additional calories are also suggested to support muscle gain which will be increasingly important as you age.
I’m 64. I am 5’09” tall and weigh 170, I don’t know my BMI and really don’t care. My focus is muscle retention/growth and more importantly mobility.
My opinions and suggestions are experiential only. Lots of experience over a lifetime.

Back