[ANNOUNCEMENT] XXFitness Buddy Matching System Now Open!

rustedspurs4

By overwhelming request, we're doing another round of buddy matching for /r/xxfitness ! Our last matching had well over 950 respondents and we're hoping to break the 1000 club this time. :)

tl;dr - Do the survey, wait 2 weeks, and get a fitness buddy!

Link to the survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/13B8bBidxlNV5ZLs-7ZJSON5YPWXv1ltKl_gzjRvoEH4/viewform?usp=send_form

How it works

You fill out the survey, giving as little or as much information as you want Generally, the more information, the better we can match you. A week and a half from today (the morning of 8/18), we'll close the survey and begin matching. Depending on how many entries we get, matching will take between 3-5 days and the results will come out by the end of that week. The matches will be posted and then you can connect with your buddy!

If you resubmit your results, I'll take the entry closest to 8/18.

After 2-3 weeks, we'll do a smaller rematch for people who want multiple buddies/missed out/had unresponsive buddies.

Remember: we pair you the best we can given the information we've been given by other buddies. More information helps us, but sometimes, a bad match will happen. It's ok to be rematched/have multiple buddies!

Updates to the matching survey
  1. Gender question - Based on our results last year for those who identify as transgender, I've added a question about gender on the survey. This will let you identify as female, transgender (both male to female and female to male), male, or other. Please let me know in the comments if you have strong preferences about matching based on you or your buddy's gender (ex: you're MtF and want to be matched with someone else who is MtF! or if you only want to be matched with women, etc.)
    Men who use xxfitness and want to register may do so, but understand this sub is focused on women's fitness and it may be pretty difficult to match you :)
  2. More expanded activity selection - I've expanded this section to include the most popular activities from our last survey (biking, mountain climbing, etc.). You can also select more options this time.
  3. Local buddy option - This was VERY popular last time and there's now a dedicated section for those of you who really want a local buddy. If you put a location in here, I'll try my best to match you with someone in your area. Please be as specific as you'd like to be matched (cities/universities for potential gym/workout buddies).
  4. Special life circumstances question - I've added this to the survey to encompass many of the popular comments we've gotten - these include pregnant or new moms, women prepping for their wedding, or women with PCOS. Don't hesitate to add your own to the comments - I try my best to match those of you with similar outcomes and conditions to each other.
  5. As always, comments help us the most if you have special requests. We had an amazing diversity of comments and users sign up last time. Good examples of comments- "I have anxiety and want to talk to someone else with anxiety", "I'm prepping for a bikini competition and want to pair off with someone like me!", "I want a fiercely chatty buddy", "I'm experienced and would love to mentor a new lifter/runner"
Again, link to the survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/13B8bBidxlNV5ZLs-7ZJSON5YPWXv1ltKl_gzjRvoEH4/viewform

tl;dr - Do the survey, wait 2 weeks, and get a fitness buddy!

Request - I'm looking for anyone with a strong skillset in algorithms to write a script to automate some of the buddy matching tasks. You'd be working with me (I'm a CS PhD student but my skillset isn't in algorithms) to develop some code that takes a CSV, clean it up (remove duplicate entries, testing for valid usernames, etc.), MAYBE does rudimentary matching, and spits out a CSV of matches. My preference is to use Python, but we could use something else. PM me if you're interested with your qualifications and any code samples on GitHub or something demonstrative of your skills.

@rustedspurs4 This is possibly an obnoxious question, but based on how buddy matching has gone before do you think it's worthwhile for someone with a lot of medical restrictions to sign up? I'm interested in the same activities, but I'm just not able to participate in them to the level most of the people here do, so I don't know what kind of commonality I'd really have with a buddy (unless they were matched based on something similar). I'd hate to be either very difficult to match or a disappointment to a potential buddy.

@jm001 People with injuries/lower fitness abilities have signed up in the past and have marked it inside the comments, and I've been able to match them up pretty decently.

@rustedspurs4 Just signed up! I'm looking forward to hearing back about this. It feels like not many people around me irl are interested in following similar fitness/workout plans, so it'd be great to have someone to talk to!

@rustedspurs4 Submitted mine!

If you're still needing programming help with the algorithms, I will see if the person I have in mind can handle it. I know they are fluent in Python and many other languages. I'll PM if it looks like I can help. Thanks for doing this...I guess I missed it last year.

@rustedspurs4 Ahh I filled it out! I didn't put any comments though, because although I'm fairly set it my ways, I'm open to people who are approaching fitness in a completely different way from me. It'd be cool to get a local buddy, maybe they'd know stuff going on in town that I don't know about!

Maybe I'll resubmit with comments.