Any fellow petites here lose weight without exercise? If so, drop your routine please!

@chelsey423 Here my 2 cents. In your 20s, maybe. 30s, probably not. 40s, not possible. I'd do whatever you can to get back in the habit of staying active because the longer you go without it, the harder it will be to get off. Good luck!

@laughter To be clear, the thermodynamics of weight loss don’t change as you get older, in that losing weight is always a matter of eating less than your body needs to maintain its mass.

Metabolism change unassociated with muscle mass loss is incredibly tiny—your metabolism declines by about a glass of milk’s worth of calories from 20-80 years old. But most young people have a base level of muscle tone from active play, walking, and physical education in school that’s lost with years of inactivity. If you’re 40 and have been sedentary for 20 years, you’ll definitely find it harder to lose weight than when you were 20. It’s still equally possible to lose via pure caloric restriction without exercise; however, your basal metabolic rate is lower because fat takes fewer calories to maintain than muscle, meaning you need to eat even less to lose.

Exercise is really important for aging gracefully, bone density, not getting injured… lots of reasons to do it beyond weight loss, but it’s not necessary for the thermodynamics calculation of losing weight.

@chelsey423 Due to health issues I can't do too much exercise, so I do r/Volumeeating. Most of my calories come from fruit and veg, and a little from grains (barley, sourdough bread) and meat (chicken and salmon.) I avoid processed food most days (except for special occasions.) I don't count calories and I'm never hungry, but I am aware of approximately how many calories are in my food and approximately how many I eat (1400-1600). I do take daily walks, 20-60 minutes, but my job is really sedentary.

I will say I don't think I could lose weight eating the standard american diet and not exercising due to how hungry I used to get. Back when I could work out though, I could eat any diet and still lose b/c my maintenance was so high. In my experience, the cleaner you eat the easier it is to eat fewer calories.

@chelsey423 I lost 21 lbs when doing keto. I’m grateful for that, but it wasn’t sustainable. I weighed 142 lbs and got down to 121. I wasn’t able to keep that weight off and I usually yo-yo between 126-132 now, but I’ve never reached that highest weight again and it’s been 6 years since doing keto!

@chelsey423 I could have written this post! I’m 30/F, 5’1” and 123lbs. Goal weight about 108-110lbs I think. Would be up for an accountability buddy if you want?

I lost weight through covid too, but my fiancé died suddenly around Christmas time and I’ve put on about 14lbs since then. Now trying to lose it again, and I’m happy to walk (not a fan of running!) but other than 10K steps I’m managing maybe a yoga class here or there and that’s about it. Would rather limit my calories than add more stress to my already busy life at the moment.

@keepitsimple144 I’m so sorry to hear this. Life definitely throws stuff at us and then it feels like weight loss and exercise just take a back seat. So don’t feel bad, I prob would have gained 30 pounds if this happened to me. Sending you all the hugs ❤️❤️❤️ also we could start an accountability chat - there was someone else here that wanted to do it. But I try to limit my social media and Reddit usage bc my eyes are getting bad due to too much screen time🥺🥺🥺

@chelsey423 Hi! I’m wondering the same thing (if anyone has more advice)!!! I have significant injuries which won’t allow me to exercise strenuously much for the foreseeable future + a very intense (sedentary) work schedule for the next few months that doesn’t allow a lot of free time (at the hospital so not allowed to have a standing/walking desk).

It’s super easy to put on the weight when you’re forced to be sedentary — so far the only thing that’s worked for me is:

1) OMAD (one meal a day) with an 18:6 IF; around 1300 calories in that meal/time period. I don’t weigh my food because that’s stressful for me, but I do at least eye what I’m eating. This has been the biggest key I think. Controlling the amount of calories I let in my body in one period of time, so no mindless snacking or surprise calories adding up throughout the day

2) Cutting out alcohol which has been HUGE. Even a glass of wine a day was significantly impacting my ability to lose weight. But within 2-3 weeks of stopping, I dropped almost 10lbs and so much facial swelling/body swelling (went down 2in on my waist). I also cut out any other sources of empty calories (ex: milk in coffee, protein shakes with too much added sugar).

3) Aiming to walk 20-40 min a day, but split into 2 segments so I don’t feel the strain too much on my body/feel like a significant chunk of my day has to be used/or get me super sweaty. Ideal days have 30 min in the AM and 30 min in the evening at least 5 days/week. I live in NYC, so it makes it easy in terms of walking to work every day + adding a little extra before/after so that it’s an essential part of the day. I also try to get up and do like 10 squats every hour especially when I sit for extended periods of time.

These things have helped me from gaining any weight, but the loss has been slow - maybe 0.5lb/week, when it does happen. However, it does feel more permanent, where a few days of splurging doesn’t put the weight back on immediately. It feels with every lb I lose, it’s a new established baseline.

However, I understand your frustrations in that even though weight loss happens in the kitchen, it’s the exertion that adds the extra push for petite people who don’t naturally burn as much in general!! If anyone has any additional tips, it would be much appreciated!!

@chelsey423 I’m unable to do much exercise due to physical limitations, but I’m still trying to do what I can. I have an aversion to exercise because if I do too much, I get dizzy and pass out. I think you can still workout in a 3rd floor apartment. Even gentle workouts and floor-based exercises are better than nothing. I’m on the east coast too, and I make it a point to walk every single day as long as it’s not actively raining — which sometimes means wearing a thick coat and a hat for warmth, and being drenched in sweat by the time I get home!

@habdain For the dizziness, try getting a full iron panel including ferritin levels. I had normal hb but low ferritin and experienced the same issues with exercise. Taking iron supplements has fixed it for me. Not a doctor, just sharing what worked for me.

@chelsey423 About 10yrs ago, i lost 40+ lbs only counting calories. I ate about 1200cals a day and lost the first 30lbs within the first year. Did 0 exercises. CICO is super effective if sone right and arguably the most effective way to lose weight. Exercise can build muscle and add to a deficit, buts its way harder to burn 300cals than to just not eat it.

@chelsey423 I originally lost the weight with no exercise. Went from 160 to 120 without any exercise. I started exercise when I got down to 120 and still wasn't happy with how my body looked (skinny fat) so started strength training, and to get more calories to eat so I could go back to enjoying food instead of only eating healthy stuff. Did it all by being in a calorie deficit. It was slow, but it is very possible. I ate 1200 calories a day.

@jszlauko How quickly did you raise your calories with strength training? I’d love to get to 120 and then focus on it. It’s hard for me to focus on both exercise and CICO.