Anyone else’s body responds better to 1-5 reps ranges?

seanni

I started training with BWT 1.5 year ago mostly high reps basic movements (dips, pull ups, squats and variations of them). Did this for 6 months, got fairly good results and noob gains. Did a couple of months of weight training with hypertrophy ranges 6-15, gained some size but not wasn’t still satisfied. Started doing a simple 5x5 with only Squats-weighted dips-weighted pull ups 6 weeks ago and muscles are exploding! Core is getting stronger, jeans and t-shirts are feeling tighter and muscles feel like rock hard. My diet is same as it was but I sleep a bit better better. Is it possible that for some people over 5 rep ranges just don’t work at all?

@seanni There have been studies done showing there isn't much difference between high reps vs low reps as long as it's done (close to) failure.

Maybe it's because you push yourself harder in those 5 reps to really go the extra mile vs doing high reps?

@seanni I think it varies. For me, it’s easier to get to or closer to failure with lower reps. Higher reps the lactic acid and burn usually cause me to quit before I actually reach failure. I feel like it’s a lot easier to give everything to squeeze out that 5th or 6th rep than it is the twelfth or twentieth.

So I have historically had more success with programs that put me in that range. Currently experimenting with more high reps, and trying to find the extra gear to push myself through.

@seanni I get better results with lower reps but I'm sure it is mainly because lower reps are way less demanding mentally to get close to failure. Doing set after set with 20 reps is tough.

@seanni Mentally, I feel like going much more than 5 reps is pointless. It's not, but that is just my reactive feeling about it. So I like to increase resistance and keep reps low.

@seanni I’m the opposite. As a calisthenics guy and climber I’ve trained endurance my entire life so I’m used to the ‘burn’ of lactic acid in my arms and can often still push for a lot longer (I’ve done 10+ min dead hangs even though pain starts at around 2-3 min).

With strength exercises I’m fine for the first 3-4 reps and then suddenly I have nothing left for the 5th. It’s not painful at all it just feels like my body is malfunctioning lol.