Anyone here ever had to change their “fitness identity”?

@livingtildead This is really interesting to me, as someone who’s in the midst of becoming a devoted ashtangi. I wonder sometimes if I can stick with it for... years? For ever? I’ve never done anything especially not exercise with this level of devotion and regularity. I hope if I ever leave Ashtanga I can bring that commitment to my next “thing.” Cheers for finding a fitness outlet that’s a better fit for you!

@pastabarr thanks!! also see my below comment. I had the same thoughts about longevity in ashtanga but realized I was missing the nuts n bolts of a solid, biomechanically integrated vinyasa (esp chaturanga). also tbh the guru reverence left a funny taste in my mouth. but I'd be lying if I said the initial sequence doesn't find its way into my movement repetoire occasionally. love that ninja transition between both sides of parivritta trikonasana :)

edit: I also was not fitness oriented at all before ashtanga!

@pastabarr I don't think it's one thing or the other. If you drift away from Astanga at some point in the coming years, you'll always have this experience - the one you're living now - to inform who you become and where you go. And you'll always be able to look back on it with fondness. Even if you do stay with it forever, your practice in 20 years will be vastly different from what you're living through now.

@anton0003 I am, or was, or am in between being, a horseback rider, a singer, a career woman, a partier, a cyclist, a gardener, a runner, a knitter, a dog owner, a mechanic, a squash player, a Whitewater kayaker, a swing dancer, a punk rocker.... The list goes on. Some of those parts of my identity I was exclusively devoted to at certain points. Some parts I'll likely never do again for all sorts of different reasons, but they still form part of who I am. You're a dynamic person and your interests and priorities will be equally dynamic. You can be artsy, strong, sensitive, daring - none of those things keeps you from the others. Just rock whatever it is you're doing!

@anton0003 I came here as a derby girl, and now I'm a swimmer/ triathlete..
For those the years I ate slept and breathed derby. It was what started me with lifting. It gave me more confidence than yoga did. It made me a strong badass, that took no crap on the track or in life. People from suppliers knew me as the derby girl, they rarely knew my name.
I retired after an injury and I still run into people that ask me about the team. Not being on the track crushed me for a long time. Letting go of that part of me has neen an ongoing struggle.
Due to my injury, I went back to swimming (no impact), I had been a swimmer in high school. I've always been a cyclist across multiple disciplines. So doing tri's came naturally.
I'm still not calling myself a triathlete other than on this post. I definitely feel a difference in how I feel about training. .ow it is purely for me, which is nice. Before it was to not let my coach or team down and to prevent injury.

@charles1967 Feeling this. Derby has been my be-all-and-end-all for the last 6 years and...I just don’t have the love for it any more, so I’ve been considering retirement. But who am I without derby??? I think I want to compete in Strongewoman but that seems like such a lofty goal that it’s almost not worth trying haha.

@pumpkinpieohmymy It is okay to change and do grow beyond the comfort zone.If you aren't feeling the love, it is time. Before Derby you were a ___girl. Me I was a yoga girl, before that an outdoors woman, and also that fixie chick.
Derby is one of many iterations/chapters of you. Change is hard, but you're derby strong (we're just stubborn) ;)

@charles1967 Blerg, I feel this real hard. I've been getting into so many other activities in the last year and it's hard to justify to time commitment for derby. It's been my identity since 2011 and just...oof. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going back this season because I don't want to be injured and ruin my other activities/training.

I'm still skating, but distance skating on rail trails, so great for my endurance and still having wheels under my feet.

@cartesian12 "Derby is a cult, not a sport" according to an ex-partner. They were a skater too, so they got it.
I feel for you, I was considering going back midseason. But the smart side of the brain realized that if I got seriously hurt, it was game over for everything else that I do for at least a year. Everything else actually won over derby. For me it was like a legit death for a while. But I can still toss on a riot girl record and old jersey and run or bike my guts out
I'm hoping that by summer I can trail skate again. Best luck with which ever choice you make.