Anyone here have success with growing their legs (quads, hamstrings, glutes, calves) that weren’t already naturally big?

xcept68

Late 30’s, two kids, travel for work a lot, golfer. I’ve been at it since September and basically took one month off to complete my masters in December. I’ve had some small noticeable improvements and I can definitely move more weight than when I started but I’m just not seeing the physical growth I hoped to have gained.

I’m 5’9 170, eat close to 160-170g of protein each day. I have usually 2 devoted leg days a week and try to sneak in a few extra sets on my other days. I try to get about 25 or more sets each week balanced between quads and ham/glutes. A typical day might be 4-6 sets of squats, 3-4 extensions, 3-4 leg curls, and leg press or DL. I try to get 12 calf sets each week as well.

I’ve spent months going heavier with 4-6 reps squatting and recently trying 8-12 reps to see if that changes things. The other exercises I usually go around 10. Calves I’ve gone anywhere from 15 to failure and 25/failure (standing and sitting with weight).

My one hinderance is I need my right hip replaced (thanks skateboarding in my teen years) so going super deep on squats and other heavier lifts that put a lot of pressure on my hip can be a problem (currently get injected every 6 months until they stop working, then it’ll be replaced. Got the green light from Mayo Clinic).

I’d love to hear how anyone has improved their otherwise stubborn legs without TRT 😂

Thanks!

@xcept68 Those will work, but actual wedges will feel more stable and let you optimize the angle for your limbs.

Prime has a good short video about how to pick wedges.

@xcept68 Literally just eating more calories and protein and doing similar stuff to what you have (but probably less volume) with progressive overload. Legs 2x/week, usually 5-6 sets each workout for calves, hammies/glutes, and quads. My legs are noticeably bigger than they were 2 years ago, even as a tall person.

@xcept68 Surprisingly cycling has helped my quads more than a year of squats and deadlifts did. I wouldn’t say I’ve gained a ton of mass in my legs, but a noticeable amount, and they have become much more defined as well.

@xcept68 I've had a lot of success building legs with the nSuns 5/3/1 app. It's free, no adds or tracking. Barebones but the workouts are customizable. It really helped me realize I needed more recovery time.

I've got hip trouble too, so I sub in RDLs and leg press for more stability. B-stance variations are my friends.

@xcept68 Start doing barbell loaded hip thrusts, stationary reverse lunges, Bulgarian split squats, Romanian stiff leg deadlifts. You’re not doing enough to work your lower half in terms of compound movements. Look up Bret Contreras online for more info

@franciscovelasco I’ve recently tried going for higher reps but not 20. Sounds daunting haha

I can get more depth on several exercises with lighter weight due to my hip so maybe I’ll give it a try

@xcept68 It’s pretty simple, actually.

Take your 10 rep max and do a set of 20. Don’t rack the weight until you’ve done 20, but pause to take deep breaths as required. It sounds daunting because it sucks, but the results are awesome.

Next workout, add 5 lbs and do it again.

@xcept68 I had chicken legs until I started working out. Went from 145 and skinny fat to 195 and relatively lean.

I would second the recommendation to try something like Supersquats (20 rep squats). I find that my body responds really well to higher reps. Plus, the mental fortitude and ability to push you develop will make every workout afterwards seem easy.