Bad Programming

duskborn

Hello, I have been having doubts about my boxes programming and was wondering if someone can help me please? I am an experienced CrossFitter and have been to multiple boxes as I have moved around etc.

Pretty much I have not got the strength increases I have hoped for during the period of time I have been there and I heard some other members complaining about the programming. I did some thinking and realised that some weeks it appeared to be a lot of movements on one body part. In addition the strength work did not seem structured and varied greatly week to week e.g we weren’t building on % each week because the movements were completely different. A lot of a time it was build to an x rep max/ heavy rep instead of working on certain %s etc.

The coaches are very nice but I find I am not ‘coached’ but just do the sessions as their time is taken up with the less experienced athletes which is fair enough but with the membership price increasing I would like at least a bit of feedback.

I don’t know if I am overthinking it or if there any genuinely any red flags. I am happy to elaborate on any point.

@duskborn I have have had access to over half-a-dozen SugarWOD backends and 1000+ athletes all using the same programming.

Despite sharing programming, the gyms had drastically different results. Programming is significantly less important then people selling you programming would have you believe.

Unless your Weightlifting total is over 250KG/170KG (550LB/374LB), your strength likely will continue to increase as long as the effort is present.

Unless your Fran is under 2:45, your general fitness will increase as long as the effort is present.

Listen to your coaches. Sleep 8 hours a night. Keep your nutrition dialed in. And focus on your effort each day.

@sharzid Thank you that’s quite useful to know - that is some of my problem, I don’t necessarily get the consistent feedback within classes as the coaches are looking after the less experienced athletes which is understandable

@duskborn You are paying for coaching.

If you do not feel you are receiving adequate feedback or making marked progress, talk with ownership and/or consider leaving the gym.

@sharzid Sure newb gains are a thing but the programming does have implications on overall progress. Are you getting an even split of movements each week? Is there a method/reason to the number of reps and stimulus for conditioning? Does the person writing the program understand metabolic pathways and aerobic capacity?

I’ve seen lots of atrocious programming

@duskborn Just a personal opinion but when you reach a certain threshold in CrossFit, you need individualized programming. CrossFit classes are good for the beginners and people who just want to move.

@ioannes I’ve experienced this in BJJ, too. The economics of building a gym, Jiu Jitsu or crossfit, means that the bulk of the memberships will be beginners or intermediate athletes. If you flip the programming to bias the needs of the top athletes the masses might feel they are not getting what they need to feel successful.

@duskborn Could be you need more additional programming. But also keep pushing yourself with the workouts you do have. My affiliate has CAP. I like it, a lot of classic CrossFit but it doesn’t have strength building cycles which is a bummer. Works for my specific gym since it’s 24hrs and a lot of open floor time so I can work on things outside of class as necessary.

@duskborn I've read a few comments that say the programming isn't that important, but focus on how you are pushing yourself. I think I disagree with this. Of course, at the end of the day, you won't progress much if you aren't pushing yourself. but programming can have a huge effect on this. It would be more fair to say that programming can't give you results if you aren't putting in the effort. but on the flip side, you can totally program in a way that isn't that beneficial to people who are pushing themselves. A true "hopper" model of programming isn't that good for building fitness, but very good at testing it. if you want to get a better deadlift, but it only shows up in programming once every 2-4 weeks, then you WONT get better at the deadlift. I would suggest you talk (not complain) to your affiliate owner about your goals and desires for programming. It doesn't have to be a complaint in the suggestion box, but rather a client or customer communicating their needs and desires for thief fitness membership. At the end of the day, the phrase "the customer is always right" has some weight here. If an affiliate owner won't listen to members, they won't stay members for long. just tell them that as a playing member, you would love to see XX or YY more often. or more focused cycles that build strength or skillsets that you want to work on. Other options include finding another gym, or (my favorite) coming in twice a week early and doing a squat program like Hatch on your own.

@duskborn Worry less about the programming and more about how hard your pushing yourself. Programming isn’t bad you probably don’t push yourself as hard as you could… look within before looking out.

@romeohoy That’s the reason I made this post because I had looked within first - I’m normally very hard on myself so always push stuff 100% and make sure my diet is clean etc.

@duskborn There's not a single cf gym in the entire world where 100% of the members agree with the programming... just like every sport, there are seasons in cf programming as well. Some are strength heavy. Some metcon heavy. Some a mixture or both... side note, there is so much more to crossfit and improving than just getting stronger. Strength is the easiest thing to improve and focus on for the avg cf'er . Take this season to focus and push on things you don't particularly want to

if you feel like you aren't getting the coaching you'd like, I'd try just having a conversation with your coach...

Back