Why your homebrew routine is (probably) bad

@christianchurches Again, I don't disagree on any major points. I especially agree that the tone of this needs work. I honestly made it from getting burnt out with repeating the same information over and over again to people asking for routine critques on routines with no pulling movements, no progressive overload, etc., where all I want to do is point them to the RR. Which, in retrospect/seeing the response, probably isn't the best mental headspace to sit down and write this out. I may try to edit it for tone tomorrow - or I may leave it as is. Example of my hubris I suppose.

I agree with information overload - and this post adds to it. My goal was to push people towards a free routine - the BWF Primer, RR, or one of the ones in the r/fitness wiki. I wanted the take away to be "get on a professional made routine like the RR in this subs wiki for 4-6 months, trust the process, be consistent and work on form. That's all you need, and read as you go"/ But it can be seen as chasing people into the arms of paid routines. It's a tricky distinction to be like "do a free routine, but not like a chris heria on thenx routine, like a real routine", and I could have done more work towing that line.

Also meant to say "200 pushups or variations", not 200 pushup variations :p - which would still be hyperbole, but plenty of homebrew routines have 3, 4 versions for 50+reps. I digress.

Thank you for your insight!

@legatichristi I strongly disagree with your last sentence there - 'wrong' is such a strong phrase to use.

I'd argue that anyone doing a high volume of push-ups consistently, getting better over time, will definitely see some results. Just look up kboges in YouTube.

There's nothing magic about the RR when it comes to progressive overload.

To be honest, these types of posts aren't helpful to beginners. They're overwhelming, complicated and demotivating. Just let people enjoy their exercise - no need to throw a bunch of rules out there.

@mau this so much. any exercise people get in is a big stepup for most people already, as they hit plateaus or can’t progress the way they did they’ll naturally try to learn more on how. the ones that do that don’t need this post at all really, the ones that stick to the same thing won’t use this post either.

@legatichristi I am going to push back a little on number four. I got some of my greatest strength and muscle gains doing EMOM (not HIIT or "Tabatha").

Rotating muscle groups while maintaining zone 2 cardio does wonders for your cardio foundation. Most plateaus are from either lack of muscle cross section or lack of cardio base. The real issue is people rotate wrong.

After 3 minutes a single muscle group has recovered to about 85% of it's initial energy. Rotating through legs, push, hinge, pull on EMOM can take advantage of it. However you need to do high intensity low rep sets and rest at least 40 seconds between rotations.

The bigger issue is most people don't know to modify to keep from going above zone 2 cardio (aerobic only).

Rotating between traditional strength 90 sec pairs like the RR, EMOM days, and high rep muscle days does wonders to prevent plateaus.

@legatichristi "Your body is split roughly into 4 groups - legs and core for lower body, and the upper body is split into muscles that push things away from you (chest and triceps) and ones that pull things to you (biceps and back)".

No, and sometimes, education is important here.

There's alot wrong in this post entirely, not all of it. But this post was beyond un-needed and this one section here explains it all.

How is your core lower body? The upper body only pushes and pulls? etc etc

@codysnider Not necessarily the upper body only pushes and pulls, but PPL is a super common split for a reason. Doing compound movements like pullups and rows work the biceps and back, or the pulling muscles. I think, for beginners who may have seen a ton of "10 minute full body no equipment" routines on youtube, or come in here looking for a no equipment routine that will make them super strong, yeah, you have to mention the pulling muscles. There's not a good way to work out your biceps or back without pulling on things. It's a disappointment, but abstractly splitting the upper body into those two groups is a valuable tool for both workout splits and explaining well-balanced routines.

I group core with lower body because when I started saying "your body is split into three groups, push, pull, and legs" people would ask "what about abs". Yeah, it's a really rough breakdown of muscles, muscle groups, compound movements, etc. The point of that section wasn't to go super in depth on anatomy (though I realize now it was unclear), but more to provide the case for why people need to do rows/pullups/etc.

@legatichristi I highly recommend you retract your statement on being "fairly educated". This post and your comments defending it prove otherwise.
"I have no formal instruction... but that's kind of the point" is proof you shouldn't be on your high horse here.

Education is important, and your post is 100% evidence for education. Formal and experienced. You are in no position to make a post like this, and it should be deleted.

@legatichristi I’d say this is generally right, especially for beginners. However I do see an advantage of making your own routine in that it fits your specific needs. But still what you said is true, that without a very deep knowledge you are sure to miss something. That said its not like you need to come up with everything yourself, you can copy what the people who know their stuff say and make it yours. When I was coming up with my routine it took me a couple of days and I was basing it mostly on what Jeff said in his videos on push/pull routines, but the exercises I have chosen and many specifics are different, because I had quite specific needs. Now I have a routine, that I can scale infinitely and not worry about next progressions that do not fit with the rest of the exercises and takes me the exact time I have for working out in the morning. I did have some intermediate knowledge from years of training, but yeah, I just wanted to throw this out.

@legatichristi Very well written. I disagree a little bit on progressive overload tho, in my case i do train by myself and for back i do weighted pullups (Bw+40kg) ive been "stuck" on that weight for 2 years, my reps had gone up by 2 reps (from 7 to 9) and i dont feel yet the need to put more weight. Sometimes specially if you have been training for 10+ years, progressive overload might mean not adding weight for a long time.

@legatichristi This is probably a silly question, but I still have a tough time with "sets", the word.

Ok, so resting 1-3 min per set. Say I am doing Bulgarian squats paired with scapular pulls. I do 5x3 squats....I rest 1-3 min before moving onto the pulls?

Or do I rest 1-3 minutes between each set of 5 within the squats?

@daveisonthisforum Rest after each set regardless of what the next exercise is.

Do 5 Bulgarian squats=1st set

Rest

Do 5 scapular pulls=1st set

Rest

etc. Repeat until you've completed your required sets for each exercise.

@dakota7 Got it. Ok. That will help my form, I think. Taking more time in between.

I know the RR states that it should take about an hour, but it's been taking me about 1.5hrs, and that is resting only between different exercises. I think that's why I assumed it wouldn't be between the actual sets themselves.

@daveisonthisforum Theres an answer in the RR FAQ. You rest 90s after every set. Pullups, rest, squat, rest, loop. The goal being for the pairs that you get 3m rest until you get back to the next set for eg pullups.