Beginner (again) deadlift form check please! :)

@knsokamd The small plates are making the deadlift harder, you're essentially doing a deficit deadlift of 1-3 inches. It might explain why your hips are so high. However, your gym might not have regular sizes plates besides the 45LBS/20KGS

@knsokamd To me, these look like Romanian Deadlifts rather than traditional deadlifts. I’m sharing a link to a ~16 minute long YouTube video produced by Sohee Lee “A Basic Primer to the Deadlift.” I think you’ll find it incredibly helpful in terms of correcting your form.

@knsokamd it might just be the angle, but you could prob drop your butt a few inches and brace your core more, and engage your lats literally pulling the bar into your legs/shins. The second rep it looks like you move the bar out of the way of your knees. As you start to go heavier you will want to focus on keeping external rotation of the knees (like in a squat kinda, but less extreme...) and keeping that bar path as straight as possible while getting your knees out of the way. If your knees don't get out of the way its because you are TOO squaty, not deadlifty enough.

When I was learning deadlifts it was almost easier to learn the cues/feeling by doing top down deadlifts- I would set up in a rack just below arm length, grab the bar, get your whole body cued, and slide that bar DOWN the legs then back up, going just a few inches before the floor if flexibility permits. Haha I still do this because it feels good. If you are having a hard time understanding the lat-activation part I would suggest doing the top down dead (kinda like RDL, but bending your knees I guess) with a snatch (wide) grip. It cues your lats to engage way more, and its a great back burner too.

edit- here is a link that explains the reasoning for the reverse DL-

@hmlarson001 Ah ok thank you so much! I’ve seen a video about someone explaining to “tuck” under the bar and I didn’t really understand but I think I get the gist from your comment. Really appreciate it! I’ll have a go at the reverse deadlifts today when I go in the evening too. Thank you!

@knsokamd I wouldn’t tuck your chin into your chest (this is what I started out doing) but rather try and look at the space 5-10 feet in front of you. That way you can still see what’s in front of you in your peripheral vision while maintaining a neutral spine.

@knsokamd It looks to me like your hips are too high and are rising too early. Your hips should be lower and your whole torso should be more upright (not parallel to the floor). I would also try spending more time on your set up, and really wedge yourself into the bar more to get your hips lower. And brace yourself and pull the slack out of the bar before actually lifting.

@knsokamd Hi there! Personal Trainer here.:) It looks like you could improve on your setup and intention. Also, I do wonder, is there a reason you keep dropping/letting go of the barbell between each rep?

Before you start take the time to settle in the right position. You seem to start with hips a little too high so your back takes the brunt of the load and your hips rise too soon. Tweak your setup by sitting your hips down (so your knees will indeed move forward over the bar a little). Then pull the bar towards your shins to get tight in that position before the lift off.

Once you're ready to lift - stand tall WHILE keeping the bar close to you. Do this by lightly grazing the bar against the skin of your shins/thighs. This will help you kick your abs into gear.

***It would help to place some blocks under the plates because the bar is indeed too close to the ground.***

@petesteyn I drop the barbell because the video’s I’ve seen have told me to “reset” position after each rep! I’m not sure how usual that is or if it’s just an influencer thing?
I think someone else mentioned to use proper bumper plates - I just found out my gym has a dedicated squat/deadlift cage with the wider plates so hopefully those will be at the right height!

Thank you so much for the tips, I really appreciate them!

@knsokamd Yep it's just an influencer thing. Resets are exhausting and the opposite of helpful in my coaching experience. It tires you out much quicker and its harder to get the hang of the motion if you have to constantly let go of the bar. Try just tapping the ground and maintaining the slight tension throughout the set. I hope these tips make sense. I'm a visual learner so if you need photos or videos of what I'm talking about, just let me know!

@knsokamd You can reset while still holding the bar, more like resetting your positioning of your body, bracing, and tension. Having the bar higher will help you be able to do that!

@knsokamd Honestly your form isn't bad at all. Can it be improved? Sure. Is it dangerous? No.

Don't overthink it too much and keep deadlifting. You'll get better with reps as long as you keep this same basic form.

Don't let paralysis by analysis keep you from deadlifting more.

@knsokamd Pull your shoulders back at the beginning of the lift, not just at the end. Make sure your head is leading up. Right now you’re doing a little booty wink at the start of the lift. Brace your core as well. Sorry about the horribly formatted comment lol. Good luck!

@jblanco Thank you so much! This is super super helpful. I feel a little back strain when I go all the way down - should I elevate the plates or do you think it’s a form issue? And to fix booty wink what would the cue be? I’m new to really being active or using my body at all and I think the cues like “push the floor away from you” really help me understand how I should be moving. Will it come from bracing my core better perhaps? x

@knsokamd No problem, you’re doing great! Deadlifts are one of the hardest lifts technique-wise because there are SO MANY THINGS to keep in mind. Focus on one thing per set so you don’t get overwhelmed. You don’t need to elevate the bar but could afford to bend your knees just a tad more so you don’t have to bend over as much. Just don’t bend them all the way to 90°. Also if you brace and pull your shoulders back the whole time your lower back shouldn’t strain as much.

Back