Beginning tips for a tall guy

srdkr

I read through the stuff on here, but just wondering if there are any tips for a tall guy on losing weight.

I’m 35, 6’9” and around 450 pounds. I’ve been starting to try and walk once a day. I know about calorie cutting and such. I just have a very bad back and my knees aren’t that great either. I’m just wondering if there any good routines or something for a person like me lol.

My main goal is more losing weight and fat.

Sorry if I didn’t notice this in the side reading stuff and also sorry if this is the right subreddit.

@srdkr So cardio and lower body work is important, but doing upper body work will help you burn calories without involving your knees. For back, when doing pulling make sure to use a bench or machines what support your chest so there’s isn’t a large load on the lower back. It may be easier to do more running/ walking once your down a little weight

Swimming is also the best cardio for bad joints.

@oddduck123 Imma be real with u, if he’s 6’9 he prolly won’t be able to use most machines in a typical gym. He will either don’t fit or won’t be able to do full range of motion due to his long wingspan.

I’m only 6’1 but because I’m lanky with long limbs, I can’t use the seated leg curl. I also use yoga blocks for the hack squat to go deep enough to do the full range of motion. I also couldn’t do full range of motion on the old pull-down pulley with a certain attachment.

Another tall dude at my gym who is around 6’5/195cm sits on the floor to do lat pull downs.

All in all, the gym can still be customisable with free weights and there are many exercises that don’t require knee and lower back loading. He could maybe ask people on r/tall for further info on exercise ideas, because apart from eating more kcals than the average person, everything else in a healthy routine should be the same.

@oddduck123 Yeah a lot of stuff isn’t made for me lol. I was going to planet fitness at one point, and the machines were so hard to sit in and such. I was thinking of going back there, but the area got so horrible in the past two years. Thank you!

@srdkr There’s a hilarious video out there of Brian Shaw (your height, multiple Worlds Strongest Man titles) trying to use equipment at a Planet Fitness. I’ll see if I can find it.

Edit: here we are. He actually gets into most of the machines, it’s just challenging.