Best progress to achieve endurance goals like 50/100 Push-Ups or 3-5 min L-Sit ?

upaxgunxgrave

I'm interested in achieving goals that can (maybe) not be achieved "efficient" with hypertrophy training.

What ist the best training routine to achieve endurance goals like: 50 or 100 Push ups or 3-5 min L-Sit in one Set?
  • Option 1: Still do a hypertrophy progression routine with 8-12 reps. So, if you trian for 50 Push ups, just go to harder excersises like diamond push ups until you can do 3x 8-12 reps and then go to the next progression exercise?
  • Option 2: Stay at your exercise level and try to do as many push ups you can (2-3 reps before failure) in three sets?
  • Another ideas ?
Should the rest time between sets be adjusted in comparison to normal hypertropy training? 30 sec, 60 sec, 2 min or classic 3 min?

@crevice I think it depends on their body structure. Back when I did BWF it took me maybe 2 months at most to hit a 60 second L-sit. Not because my core is super strong, just because I have a longer torso and shorter legs than normal and the leverage makes it an easy exercise

@upaxgunxgrave Most people would say Grease the Groove or something similar probably, but I don't like it because it leads to Tendonitis for me.

FitnessFaqs just shared a video where he suggests a 3x/week method and I think it should be great for steady and safe progress, maybe check it out.

@dawn16
Grease the Groove

Thanks for the GTG method, will read more about that.

I already have seen the video and was wondering why he uses the "Frontloading" set/rep technique in his routine. It's somehow intuitive, but you never know if it is really superior to other routines, considering that specific goal.

@upaxgunxgrave In order to do 50 push up in less than 5 mins you have to at least do 150 pushs up in 10 -15 mins with no weight

There s an app called 100 push up , trust me it asked u to do like insanely 180 push up in a 15 min routine but it worked

Yeah man. I started GTG for my pullups. But after a week or so i started getting pain in the elbow(kind of a tennis elbow). It is so frustrating to stop after just a week.

@upaxgunxgrave Hypertrophy has carryover on endurance so both training strategies are valid. If you performs a harder progression for push ups (e.g. declined PU, weighted PU, PPPU,...) with 8-12 reps you will also increase your max reps for "standard" push ups.

The answer depends on your current training level. If you are a beginner, stick with a simple, progressive routine such as Grease the Groove. If you are more advanced, have both types of exercises in your program (e.g. day 1 : weighted PU, day 2 : rest, day 3 : high volume of standard PU,...).

@upaxgunxgrave For the push up thing (idk what your day is like and if you can do it) just start with 20 every hour on the hour for a week then next week do 25 or 30. They key is they should never leave you really tired but it should feel like a slight workout. Every 7 days test to see what’s the max you can do.

@upaxgunxgrave I can do 45 push ups in one set about 3 mins

So I started doing the 200 push up apps on my phone ( now it no longer exists )

So basically , you do 22 22 16 16 16 16 15 , I dont remember exactly

but each set you rest 45 secs, you can add 30 secs to your rest time

Usually I rest 75 secs on my last 3 sets

Then after like 4 months , I do weighted push up, 4 kg with the same routine as above

and then some months later , I increased to 5 kg, then 7kg

Now I cut the rep, I only do like 100 reps now, but with 12kg bag

still the same rest time , 45 secs bw sets, 75 secs in the last 2

SO YES , You can do it but it takes very long time, but I dont get enough protein everyday

If you have enough protein you can do it in shorter time like I do

@upaxgunxgrave Volume training. Higher rep, many sets (5 X 15 then 5 X 20 then 5 X 25 etc)
Don't go to failure. Make up for it by training push ups 4 times a week.
And a 3-5 min L sit will take a few years I reckon, where as 100 push ups could be achieved in 6 months or less for an average fitness person.

@upaxgunxgrave Do endurance training everyday as well as greasing the groove for good progress. The more you train a certain skill, the more your body gets used to it therefore allowing your body to last longer when performing a certain exercise. I remember doing 100 pushups a day (25 reps of incline, decline, close grip and wide grip) when I first started calisthenics and that got me to a max rep of 60, but I didnt really want to continue on anymore since my goals werent to reach over 60 pushups.

@rmh716 Considering all the comments given to me, I think i will mix up my training routine like:
  • Day1: Volume or High density training
  • Day2: Rest or greasing the groove
  • Day3: PU progression like in RR. (Diamond or weighted PU s)
  • Day4: Rest or greasing the groove
  • Day5: Volume or high density training
  • Day6: Rest or greasing the groove
  • Day7: Definitely rest. Get at least 2-3 rest days.