Best progress to achieve endurance goals like 50/100 Push-Ups or 3-5 min L-Sit ?

@cbsmel Well, why do some guys try to get the World Record in Push Ups or try to run a marathon under 2:30 hrs or get an achievement in an online game, to get a simple icon? These are examples for objective goals, which are only meaningful for the Subject itself. I would say, nearly every goal in sports which is SMART ( Specific Measurable Achievable Reasonable ) is a good one.

@cbsmel Yeah not all points are explicit, but maybe i missed something in the SMART definition:
  • Specific: I want to get better at my core endurance.
  • Measurable: When hitting the 5-min L-Sit mark.
  • Achievable/Attainable: Hard, but perhaps possible.
  • Relevant: Workout goals are driven by personal motivation. So yes.
  • Time: Right, that was unsaid. Lets complete it by say: i want to achieve my goal in 6 months. (Starting from 30s L-Sit before training.)

@upaxgunxgrave So.. no reason for you, just picked it at random? I'm guessing because you dodged the question with a SMARTass reply.

I'm just not sure L-sit is, as you called it, sport. Looks like a demonstrative exercise in limited carryover to either other exercises or real life applications.

What's the story.

@jmeriwether No intention to dodge the question. I like to have challenges to mix up my Training routine. Just my personal preference. Like climb a 6b grade, run 5km in under 25 min, do 50 pushups and so on. My motivation is personal satisfaction by achieving goals . not interested in looking good. Anyway, it is not about the l-sit , but how to achieve power endurance goals fast and efficient

@jmeriwether In reference to the L sit carry over....
It is mainly for gymnastic purposes. It's a progression for the v sit and eventually the 'manna'
It also carries over greatly for straddle and straight press to handstands.
If you can't hold a 15 second L sit you can't do a straight press to handstand!
There is also some carry over for front levers and strict ring muscle ups and some transitions on rings.

So it does have a lot of carry over in gymnastics, but not too much else.
However ....
What a 3-5min L sit will give you over a 30 second one (in terms of carry over) I don't know.
IMO you're better off doing a harder progression than prolonging the L sit.

@upaxgunxgrave I'm speculating but I expect 3-5minutes will require a large amount of aerobic conditioning (I mean increasing your mitochondria vs general systems). This is volume based. You can either do something very easy continuously for 30+mins or a short interval of 30-45 seconds of an exercise you can sustain for 5-10 minutes and build up to 40 reps with say 1min rest between reps and maybe further breaks into sets. By trying to work on harder exercises that you can only hold for 30 seconds to 2mins you are primarily training tolerance to high lactate, which can't really be improved in a sustainable way.