BMI thoughts

@desertsun236
But if you get over 30 there’s probably some weight that needs to go, unless you’re a bodybuilder and loaded with skeletal muscle.

Agree, there aren't many people for whom a BMI above 30 isn't overweight. My current BMI is 32, and my target is between 27 and 29. With broad shoulders and a lot of leg muscle, I can't imagine getting below 25. I don't think I'd be comfortable.

@bfg33 Yeah, most people over 30 BMI are overweight. The guidelines say that over 25 is overweight but that can be very inaccurate. 30 is a better number to look at for the vast majority of people. Maybe 28….

@gracenprayers You want to look up the Fat Free Mass Index (FFMI). It uses your height, weight, and body fat percentage. The best method for calculating BF% is a whole body MRI. But those cost $2-5K. The next best is a Dexa scan and can be had for less than $100. The bioelectrical impedance are the least accurate measures. You want a body fat % below 18 and an FFMI above 21 to be considered athletic/fit.

@gracenprayers Hey!

Welcome to the group! It sounds like you've been putting in some serious work over the past seven months—kudos to you! Let's talk about BMI, shall we?

You're not alone in thinking that BMI can be a bit wonky, especially if you've been hitting the gym hard and packing on muscle. At 6'2" and 195 pounds, with all that muscle growth and fat loss, it's no wonder your BMI might label you as "overweight."

Those BMI charts? Well, they're a bit old-school and don't always tell the whole story, especially for folks like us who are focusing on getting stronger and healthier. Seriously, aiming for 150 pounds at your height? That sounds more like a goal for a marathon runner, not someone who's crushing it in the gym.

Instead of sweating over BMI, why not look at other measurements like body fat percentage or how your clothes fit? Or better yet, take a good look in the mirror—how do you feel when you see yourself? That's often the best indicator of progress.

And hey, life's all about balance, right? So go ahead, enjoy those Miller Lites and BBQs—it's all part of the journey. As long as you're feeling good and staying healthy, you're doing it right!