Body exercises for the obese?

@nickale I think the most important thing is building up some base level strength and cutting as much weight as possible to avoid joint damage during training. I'd recommend:
  1. Walking or jogging
  2. Wall pushups
  3. Bodyweight squats (if those are too hard squat into a chair and lift yourself out with your legs)
  4. Jumping Jack's

@nickale You're in luck. Al and Danny Kavadlo announced they're releasing their e-book for free due to this pandemic situation.

I bought that a few years ago as paperback myself and am really enjoying both the writing and the workout schedule.

It has loads of progressions and regressions for all fitness backgrounds and if you're into that kind of training then you will for sure find stuff for your fitness level.

Instead of giving the straight pdf download I'm using their FB link for the fact that they're promising the free download. Hope you have access to FB.

@nickale So, speaking as a fellow fat person...

Walking really is the thing to do.

Have some super padded shoes since your feet will hurt due to your weight. Have some lycra shorts since your thighs will chafe. Have a bottle for water and sunglasses. That's really it.

Just walk. Not stroll, walk w/ a more-than-casual pace. Start small, but keep doing it.

As a fat man, walking is a full-body exercise.

From there, also do the Alexa 7-minute workout or a similar app. They're short, but very effective. Don't like the exact exercise they're doing? Find something else easy for that body part and do that for 30 seconds.

No weights needed.

It is as easy as bodyweight squats, pushups on your knees, flutter kicks, unweighted shoulder press, a few crunches, etcetera.

I can work w/ you on some details if you want, but just walk. Start small, work up to a few miles. I got myself up to 11 mile walks last year, and am trying to get back there again this year. I was still fat, yeah, but better than I had started and I had some endurance. And this year? Even though I petered out early last year and did almost nothing through the winter, I'm getting it back quickly.

Just walk.

Good luck!

@nickale First of all, good on you for trying to take control of your overall health, and for wanting to stick with it.

I not going to advise on the exercise portion, as it seems like other people have it covered; I would say that keeping control of your diet is the other exceptionally important piece here, though.

@nickale Stay active. Don't do anything that could be too much. Walking will be the best option for you. I personally prefer walking. Once you get used to walking long distances it's very meditative. Since you are inside under quarantine, and can't do that, I'd recommend just staying active.

And by that I mean:
Don't sit for long. Get up and move around at least a little bit. This will keep your blood flowing. You can walk in place, step from side to side, step forward and backward, bend down and touch the ground and then reach for the sky. The important part is to not try to push any of your body too hard. We want gentle, regular exercises. Excess fat causes limited movement and your muscles are carrying every extra pound, so don't push it! Any sort of movement will be better than sitting around.

Treadmills are good, ellipticals are better. You just get more movement. I like to look up low impact aerobics for old people on YouTube haha. I like how simple and gentle the exercises are. Gets my heart rate up without being really tiring and I'm not sore after. Wakes up your muscles.

@nickale Well done with your diet, I know from experience how hard it can be to get eating under control.

If you can get a hold of the Yoga for Regular guys/DDP Yoga videos. They do a great job of mixing strength with flexibly training and building up achievable progression.

Alternatively - primal movement, calisthenics, and yoga videos on YouTube. Find a half dozen or so movements or forms and just work on each. A half hour spent earnestly attempting anything that is physically creative and challenging can be all you need to keep your body ticking over.

Some suggestions would be;

plank progressions,

push up progressions,

Squat progressions,

Dip progressions,

Focus on form, and pay attention to your heart rate. If your can get your heart rate to 110-140bpm consistently across a half hour you're doing good. Even if all that takes is 10 * 10 second planks, 10 * 2 squats, and 10 * 2 hip thrusts - just be consistent and you'll see results.

Also: I find it helpful to write down a plan and then notes on the actual workout, be it for a days workout or a sequence of workouts. It's not for everyone but I do encourage you to try it and see if it's for you. I have a little plain journal. I find it helpful because I retain information better when I write it down, but it also the journal helps me tell a story of my physical development and personal success. When I feel demotivated or like it's not worth the effort, I just have to flick back a few months and see where my weight was at and what I could achieve - instant inspiration.

@nickale My mom is overweight and has trouble doing many strength training exercises so i made her a simple routine mostly comprised of stretches and told her to do them quickly enough to work up her heart rate. I had her marching in place and doing butt kickers and knee highs and even just standing and sitting in a chair over and over. For her, these movements are very helpful because she’s been sedentary and has little musculature. Even though it sounds like you’re a bit more active, this type of training might help you get your heart rate up while keeping your muscles engaged. Good luck friend!! I’m down 15 lb from Christmas from exercise alone!!

@nickale Just watched this video today actually -

He also has another great video on beginner routines -

One of my favorite bodyweight youtubers, he's not douchey and explains things well and gives progressions and regressions for everything. Highly recommend following him.

Those aside, my advice is obviously lose weight through dieting (Keto and/or Intermittent Fasting), going for walks of increasing distance and learning the OS Resets - which should be gentle enough for you to do now but help build a lot of strength. Crawling/Rocking and Cross Crawl Marches being the big ones to focus on, but all 5 of the big resets will help get you started.

@nickale Hi there! It's great to see how positive of an attitude you have. :) I think Kayla Itsines might be offering a free week trial right now for her programs. My sister-in-law is the one who has it, so not sure how much she pays for it or anything. However, Kayla's workouts start at ultra beginner level. We have a friend who did her beginner videos after giving birth and she had to take it SUPER easy. Her videos also provide tips on how to do the exercise correctly, and you can really go at your own pace. Anyway, she might be someone to look into just to stay busy and slowly build up strength and endurance. Happy working out at home!

@nickale I just started doing the same, but I’m not severely obese. I’ve just been doing a work out, as much as I can do in 2 mins to see where I’m at. Core exercises (Russian twists, leg ups, etc.) and some cardio (knee ups, jumping jacks, etc.). I’ve been doing squats and since I’m a girl, light weight lifting. If you can’t do that, calorie deficit and just walk. I’m trying to do everything as much as I can because I’m trying to lose as much as I can for summer (I don’t expect to be skinny by fucking june, but I wanna lose maybe 20lbs by then) so, just walk really. That’s what I hear, but I’m not so sure. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong and someone let me know some better alternatives to what I said because I’m sort of wondering the same as OP.

For some reason, I can’t do push ups and crunches, but everything else I said above I can do with ease. Maybe I have improper form or there’s a muscle in these exercises I haven’t worked enough?

@nickale I lost most of the weight at first by walking like 3-5km almost everyday, it took a while to reach a place where I was able to do bodyweight exercises. I highly don't recommend running if you have excess weight, when I started college, I got forced into doing it during PT and it was really REALLY bad for my knees and hips. If you can do bodyweight exercises already, I recommend basic yoga. That's what I started with.

@nickale Squat, pushup, and plank. 3-5 sets of as many reps as you can manage with good form.

Your size will probably keep you from performing the moves in the "traditional" postures, but it's okay to modify the exercises to your current ability. Do pushups against a wall or counter. Do squats from a chair by standing and sitting with good form. Do planks on your knees or do some kind of hollow body variation.

Keep it simple and effective.

Back