Body fat is too damn high - tips to get it down?

babablacksheep

I am 145 pounds and 5 8. I’m ok with my weight but realized I’m not just skinny today, but actually fat. I always have had a beer belly and today got official measurements and I’m almost 29 percent body fat. It caught me somewhat off guard as I had been running and thought I’d be closing in on 18 or 17. I can’t lose more weight.

I’m thinking of doing strength training at the gym and going all in with protein powder. Should my caloric intake be slightly lower than metabolic to facilitate body recomposition? Goal is get this damn fat off and put on muscles and not be bones.

@babablacksheep Strength training and running is a perfect combination. I maintained muscle and lost fat whilst still getting in some decent miles in. Throw in a sprint session or two once a week. It doesn’t have to be long (30 seconds fast, 30 seconds slow for 10/15 minutes) and you can even do this on the treadmill after a strength workout. Good luck! 😄

@babablacksheep It’s hard to picture a 5’8” person being fat with a beer belly at 145 pounds. You just have virtually no muscle. It’s possible all the running has caused you to shed muscle instead of fat. The best way to transform your body from fat to fit is to do he’s y weight training and eating healthy, period. Cardio alone will likely result in decreased muscle mass which will decrease your metabolism. Weight training will build muscle which will increase your metabolism.

@babablacksheep Since you’re new to lifting you’ll be able to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time for awhile. I would focus on eating most if not all whole foods (with plenty of protein) and drinking lots of water. Don’t worry so much about calories, just eat whole foods until you’re full but not stuffed, and eat enough so that you’re not hungry between meals. You’ll see your body change and you can increase or decrease calories as needed.

@babablacksheep Everyone's stomach should stick out a little when you're not sucking it in. Activated/flexing your abs like that is pretty much the only time even a fit person's abs are visible. Not saying you have body dismorphia but it sounds like your expectations of acceptable bodyfat levels may be a little unrealistic. Which isn't to say it's not possible to achieve I, but becoming a hungry skeleton is far from healthy or ideal.

@babablacksheep I’d change the macros and up the activity.

Up your protein; continue eating the same. Lift more and move more.

I’m ~5’7 and 146 lbs and I’m 40. My wife and I had a baby and I fell off the wagon. Got a bit of belly fat.

For the past few months, I’ve been focused on eating the same but having much more protein.

I also try and workout 5-6 times a week. Usually it’s a couple of walks or a run, and either CrossFit or climbing.

The fat is melting off and I still get to eat the same. My weight is largely unchanged but I look very different.

@babablacksheep Personally I think it's best to eat to maintenance while starting to build muscle from a position like that. You'll gain muscle, then your caloric needs will increase. Don't try to gain or lose weight just yet.

@eng_b33f So basically eat like 1700 calories per tdee calculator with lots of protein? I realized also that it’s body fat percent, so if I get more muscle the fat percent go down.

@babablacksheep I have no idea what your maintenance level is. Personally I wouldn't even bother counting. You're just starting out and it's all gonna change anyway as you get stronger. The only way counting could possibly benefit you right now is by forcing you to be aware of what you're eating. Maybe loosely count grams of protein to adjust to a more muscle-building focused diet.

@babablacksheep I started doing HIIT trainings twice a week, and resistance training constantly 3 times a week in the beginning, 4 times a week later. So on some days I would have an overlap where I did HIIT and resistance training at once.

The 2 HIIT I did were:
1.) HIIT core (50 crunches or as many as you can, 1 minute bicycle crunches, 1 minute scissor leg lifts while lying on back, 20 hip ups on each side, 1 minute plank, 1-2 minute break and repeat)
2.) HIIT elliptical (run at high speed until heart rate reaches around 180, but be careful not to feel like you're about to die lol, then hold for like 10 to 15 seconds, and then go down in speed to a regular fast walk, keep for a minute or until heart rate drops back to around 140 (for me), and then start running again to 180. Repeat for like 20 minutes)

Diet: low carb, healthy fats (olive oil, nuts), but not too much. Very high protein intake, but clean proteins (no processed foods and added sugars, just protein from basic source like beans, firm tofu, and protein powder)

This worked very well for me

@babablacksheep I feel like one of your measurements is wrong. I know people hold weight differently but I’ve got similar stats to you and I’m skinny. Like you can see all my ribs skinny.

If your height and weight are correct there’s no way you can have 30% body fat with those stats. I bet you don’t have a beer belly, I bet it’s anterior pelvic tilt, Google it it’s dead common in runners.

I would add some stretching as well as strength into your routine because as runners we get very stiff and it’ll help your form with strength stuff as well as starting to fix pelvic tilt if you have it.

@mrdung1108 This!

I’m at 27% body fat and I’ve got about 30lbs more on me than OP.

I also second the strength training in runners to avoid injury as you get older (wish 30yo me knew about the importance of that now 46yo me is shuffling along in her running shoes), as well as stretching.

Your abdomen contains all your organs, and they take up space. With posing and filters, many bellies on social media aren’t real bellies.