Calisthenics Intermediate Hypertrophy Program using Dr. Mike Israetel's Volume Guidelines

@bibbigo The pullup problem is something I can relate to as well. Before I discovered this sub, I just tried to do as many pullups as I could hoping that this would increase my pullup numbers. I had no idea how progressions work.

@cbsmel It’s a learning process for sure. People have asked me about doing slow (4 sec eccentric) weighted pull-ups 6-8 sets at +55lbs and they’re shocked. Hypertrophy training is so very different from strength training. Someone watching me tried doing just their normal set of bodyweight pull-ups with a 4 sec ecc and they quickly realized it’s very difficult and different than fast pull-ups.

99% people I see doing pull-ups do 1 sec up and 1 sec down til Max reps (failure) and then try to repeat it. It’s so inefficient...

@bibbigo Can you elaborate? Why do you think much less volume / slower is working a lot better and about your last comment regarding fewer pull ups per set?

I’ve never used pull ups as a primary exercise, but I have often done what you described when I do them

@edmomd Simple answer? The longer the muscle is under load the harder it works, usually achieved with higher reps, but low and slow does it too.

Does FA for explosive power though.

@edmomd It's why the starter is almost always declines.

GTG. is the go to though, more reps, less blow out. Gtg is grease the groove, if you haven't read it before.

@bibbigo Can you elaborate on what you are talking about here for a newbie. You're talking about a 4 second lowering in a pull up versus a 1 second? Is slower always better for hypertrophy? And also does this go for anything (or pull-up, pushup (lowering to the ground), bicep curl, etc)?

@anita50 For hypertrophy based routines and programming I aim for a full 4 secs eccentric for a pull-up since it has about 180 deg range of motion. For a push-up, Adv Tuck FL Row, et al which has about 90 deg range of motion, I do 2 sec eccentric.

For strength training it is more explosive concentric (or 1 sec) and 1 sec eccentric - so faster as long as I can do it with good control.

@cbsmel I’ve been lurking this sub for like 5 years now and I’m impressed that there’s still great content like this being shared and discussed. Thank you for keeping this place relevant and helping folks on their fitness journey!

@cbsmel Good idea. To make good use of the guidelines it's also important to determine how much the various movements count for the volume of various muscles, in many exercises the load is distributed and there's not a muscle that works much harder than the others.

For example pseudo planche pushups are probably more front deltoids than chest but both are challenged, and how does straight arm strength count for bicep volume? Though if you don't pause at the top it's less of a factor. And handstand pushups are both front delts, triceps and upper traps etc.

Pelican curls and hefesto might count for some chest volume too, though bodyweight bicep curls starting from an inverted row position would not. And some exercises are truly mostly about one muscle group, like tricep extensions with arms overhead (compared to impossible dips where the rear deltoids and forearms can also work hard), suspended chest and rear delt flyes, bodyweight leg curls and extensions etc.

For glutes how about working towards shoulders and feet elevated one leg hip thrusts? More potential than unweighted split squats.

@thomaslowrens I agree with all the points.

I chose PPPU because it is easier to track pogress and also helps with the planche. Most people doing bwf want to achieve it anyways.

As far as biceps are concerned, in my example routines, the volume is within the MAV range for the very same reason that you have mentioned. No need to push to MRV for biceps. I chose pelicans because the short head of the bicep would get a lot of stimulation from the chinups and rows so I decided to include an exercise that works the long head more.

For glutes, I think that shoulders and feet elevated one leg hip thrusts is an excellent exercise and can be used once BSS becomes boring. I chose BSS because it is easier to set up, easier to understand, can be done without any equipment at all and it is also a good starting point if you want to work towards front splits.