Calling all cyclists!

tessal

Topic of the week - Cycling!​

When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking.

Arthur Conan Doyle

You are probably going to notice a bit of a bias in this post, as while I've been riding ~10 years now and varied across road/comfort/mountain bikes I am predominantly a road cyclist, because I gotta go fast, on tarmac, wearing skin-tight clothing (don't judge me).

For anyone new to the idea of tooling around on two wheels under their own steam, here's a few basics:

Types of bikes​

Road Bikes

Built for speed on tarmac/paved roads; narrower wheels and slick tyres, racing/drop handlebars, rider positioned optimally for power generation while staying fairly aerodynamic, absolutely zero suspension.

Mountain Bikes

If you're looking to go exploring the mountains on two wheels, this is the bike for you. Large knobbly tyres with a lot of traction, varying levels of suspension from none, front only (hardtail), and front and rear, depending on the type of terrain you're going to hit. Generally vary from "cross country" to "downhill", and what you gain in terrain-appropriate suspension, you lose in power efficiency.

BMX

If short sprints and rad tricks are your game, then the BMX style bike is where it's at.

Comfort/Hybrid

Hybrid/comfort bikes are the bastard child of road and mountain bikes, generally aimed at the beginner/casual cyclist. Flat bars, narrow/smooth tyres, upright posture. Nice for a short trip down the shops, but in my opinion not overly comfortable for anything more than that.

Hybrid bikes combine elements from both mountain bikes and road bikes, meaning that they're usually slower than a road bike and handle uneven roads better, but are not suitable for fully offroad riding. They cover a spectrum from almost being mountain bikes to almost road bikes according to the activity they're optimised for, e.g. casual riding around town, fitness, trekking or commuting. On the whole, they'll have flat handlebars, thicker tires than a road bike, and an upright riding position which many people find more comfortable and safer in traffic. Most will either come with mudguards and pannier racks or have mountings for fitting them. (Updated with thanks to @nawiri)

eBikes!

An electric bicycle also known as an e-bike is a bicycle with an integrated electric motor which can be used for propulsion. An option for anyone who wants to get out and about on a bike but also isn't really arsed about brutalising themselves on hills for no apparent reason. (I'm probably selling these a bit short as I know nothing about them apart from I get overtaken by them sometimes and am a bit bitter)

And many more probably ...

Buying a bike​

The number one rule to buying a bike is IT MUST FIT YOU. Trust me - you can get an absolute bargain £2k bike for £500 and feel like the smuggest person on the planet but if it's even slightly too big you will hate it (based on a true story).

If you are just starting out, I personally recommend finding a nice local shop - you'll generally find a nice group of enthusiasts who will walk you through every step of the process, and you can try the bike out and make sure it feels right.

If you're not vibing any local shops, you can try the internet and normally at a saving; the bikes will arrive partially built - you'll just have to make up the last bits. Make sure you buy from a store with a good returns policy, because (to reiterate the number one rule) it must fit you; don't keep a badly fitted bike just because you don't want the hassle of sending it back. You will be uncomfortable, have a sad time, and hate it.

Kit​

Basically non-optional

HELMET! I honestly cannot express how important a helmet is. It might get mentioned more than once. I had a bad run a few years ago and got hit a couple times - my helmet saved my brains on both occasions. Put a lid on.

Padded bike shorts! Less essential on a hybrid/mountain bike, but if you are on a road bike you are going to want padded shorts - the saddles are basically plastic with a whiff of fabric over the top, and if you are not padded you are in pain.

Optional but awesome

Clipless pedals / cleated shoes (terminology varies across bike types). Again, road bike perspective, but clipless changed my life - there's a substantial power increase to be had in being able to crank on the upstroke as well as the downstroke, the only thing you have to get past is the first few months in absolute fear of falling off (but the good news is that this only happens when you're going slowly so it doesn't hurt).

Cycle computer. 100% optional but also excellent. I got a simple one (Garmin Edge 200) early on to monitor pace/distance metrics, and then went all in on the Garmin Edge 1000 which is a full GPS unit, with speed/cadence/HR sensors and endless metrics to please even the most statistic obsessed (that's me).

Helmet camera. Honestly optional but there is nothing more hilarious than re-watching the time you fell off on a group ride because you forgot to clip out. Added bonus, if you do get in an accident, it's much easier to sue with video!

There is an absolute world more to touch on (or obsess over, if you're me), such as diet, training plans, ride/race fuelling, m o r e g a d g e t s, recommending the best lube (please recommend me more lube) and about 90 million things I glossed over above. So if you want to throw out questions on any of these topics, or anything else that tickles your fancy - or if you simply want to talk about how awesome cycling is (it really is), your training plans, your mileage, the stunning ride you went on last week, or whatever! - then ask (and chat) away!

Other subreddit resources (Edited to add more!!):

@tessal Don't forget cyclocross and gravel bikes! Very similar to road bikes but allow for wider tires and usually come stock with smaller gearing. My favorite type of bikes.

I took a nick out of my carbon road bike in February which made it unrideable until I can get it fixed, so I swapped the pedals and stem on my CX bike and added some water bottle cages and have been riding that on the roads. Barely notice a difference except I can get up hills faster now that I have a 32 in the back instead of a 27, ha.

@tessal I would draw a distinction between biking for fitness/sport and biking to get around.

I do both -- biking to work is a huge part of my weekly cardio. I just bike in my regular clothes and I have a cool pannier set up. I don't get too sweaty. I go slow. I've biked in fancy dresses, heels. I've biked carrying a pizza. I've transported hockey sticks, skates. You really do not need padded shorts (once you're used to it -- give it just a few weeks) or fancy equipment at all! Don't be scared off by what can seem like a big investment and logistical challenge (OK so i bike to meet my friends for dinner and now I need to take off these gross underwear-shorts somewhere??)

I also do big century rides on a fancy road bike on weekends, with the whole kit. Very different.

Edited to add that this is obviously a fitness sub, but biking can be a great way to get around for many people, and a great way at some passive "don't even think about it" active minutes.

@tessal Biking always makes me feel like a kid again and I never think of it as cardio:). I love riding my Trek X Caliber 8 for xcountry doubletrack, single track and paved city roads. But it’s always worth it to change out the saddle!

PS I wish more women would get into mountain biking it’s so much fun!!

@tessal I can't help but feel you're selling hybrids a bit short. They cover a huge range from almost a mountain bike, through Dutch-style/urban bikes for doing the shopping on, to basically a road bike with flat bars.

The commuter or fitness hybrids are basically flat bar road bikes with more attention given to things like pannier mounts and mudguards so not much difference in comfort, especially if you've got some bar ends so you can shift your grip around a bit. I know quite a few people who use them for bike-packing.

Also, I see you're in the UK too, OP, so I just thought I'd add that unfortunately the advice about going into a shop to try out a bike won't work at the moment because there are so few bikes left. You've got to pre-order a few months in advance now unless you get very lucky.

Disclaimer that I'm new to cycling so I might be wrong about everything except the lack of bikes, but I did a LOT of research and talking to cyclist friends before taking the plunge!

@nawiri Hello, you are probably correct and I am highly biased towards road race bikes. I've tried comfort bikes and they don't agree with me, so I mostly stole a bit about them that I agreed with from the internet. If you think they can be better described then please share and I will update the OP

@tessal How about:

Hybrid bikes combine elements from both mountain bikes and road bikes, meaning that they're usually slower than a road bike and handle uneven roads better, but are not suitable for fully offroad riding. They cover a spectrum from almost being mountain bikes to almost road bikes according to the activity they're optimised for, e.g. casual riding around town, fitness, trekking or commuting. On the whole, they'll have flat handlebars, thicker tyres than a road bike, and an upright riding position which many people find more comfortable and safer in traffic. Most will either come with mudguards and pannier racks or have mountings for fitting them.

@tessal I have a hybrid bike, that I used on a gran fondo (real long bike ride) up a mountain from Vancouver to Whislter without clipless or cleated shoes. Just regular runners. So, you can do you and whaever you'd like.

I mean, I did it, but 100% acknowledge a road bike would have been better, and my 40min commute would definitely be better with one, but, in defense of hybrids

Hybrids are cheaper.

Because it is heavier, (and so am I to be honest) we are MUCH faster going downhill, in my experience.

Also less likely to get stolen/less appealing to thieves.

Easier to service.

But I am also really jealous of road bikes. A Hybrid bike will do it, sure, but man, being on a road bike is way, way slick. Just not feasible for me cause of their price tag and the amount of bike theft in my city. (Even with my hybrid, my lock is was still $130)

If you are considering buying a bike, I suggest bying from your local bike shop over walmart. They are full of people passionate about their sport and way more eager to help you. :)

EDIT

I do notice you left out E-bikes. I'm really not a fan, but they are bridging the gap of commuter cyclists who can't handle a longer journey. I'm not expert, but people are...kinda cycling, aren't they?

@worshiper1994 e-bikes are incredibly cool for those in hilly areas or older adults!!! The number of older folks I see buzzing around on e-bikes is wonderful.

Whatever gets you moving (or out of a car for some trips...)

@tessal You can also do BMX bikes if you want a fitness challenge. I have a BMX and don't do any tricks. My best mileage was about 24 miles. I do intend to learn tricks sometime.

Back