Calling all cyclists!

@tessal I want hop on a soapbox real quick and be an evangelist for buying used bikes.

In my opinion, the average casual cyclist will get more mileage with less headaches out of a steel framed bike from the 70s/80s/90s than basically any new bike under, say $700.

Best of all, there are a ton of them on Craigslist all the time for like $150 bucks.

@galacticintent yes, definitely to get started.

however, if you find you want to start upgrading components, look into buying new(er).

I had an early 1990s road bike that I wanted to upgrade the wheels and brakes on.

I spent years trying to source parts for 27 1/4" wheels with a narrow front axle (no longer standard), and trying to find long reach calipers that were compatible without a recessed nut. EXHAUSTING. It's nice to have a new bike where you can just buy stuff that fits.

@bongorob That’s fair!

I will point out lots of 80s/90s bikes don’t have those nonstandard components (my 1983 bike has 700x23 wheels).

So it heavily depends on what you get!

But I’d contend that most casual cyclists won’t need significant upgrades that will cause trouble in that way.

@galacticintent definitely - I had a lower end roadie and I didn't realize what I was getting into

On the upside, I got to spend A LOT of time learning how to replace broken spokes, true wheels, and re-pack bearings at the local co-op!

@glovey Hell yes! Especially if you’re looking to avoid the gate keeping some people fear at hardcore snobby bike shops, co-ops are generally so welcoming and enthusiastic about bring new people into the fold.

@tessal I am on a mission to find THE bike so have been doing TONS of research! I follow r/ladycyclists, r/bicycling, r/gravelcycling, r/whichbike, and r/xbiking. So far I’ve decided I want a steel frame adventure bike, looking at Surly and Marin. I used to have a lovely Trek FX hybrid, sold it for an older Specialized cross bike that was too small, sold that for a pretty Felt hybrid that was too big, and am currently bikeless. I am fortunate to live right by a county park with 17 miles of paved path (not nicely paved but decent enough) and I am close to several other areas to bike as well as into town. I had wrist surgery two years ago so it’s been a bit since I’ve been on a bike but am antsy to get back out there.

@1970jennifer Say more about the gravel bikes! What’s the main difference between it and a hybrid? I’m searching for my very first bike and have only rented hybrids from my local bike shop...i feel like road is not quite for me (mainly biking on bike paths and greenways but hilly) and in my mind gravel is like kinda in between hybrid and road? Is that even remotely correct?

@dawn16 I’d say more between a mountain bike and a hybrid! On the scale of off road to on road it would go mountain bike > gravel bike > hybrid bike > road bike. Hybrids are good for around town but could handle some light gravel, with flat handle bars and tyres a bit wider than a road bike. Generally they’ve also got a very relaxed position so you can sit quite upright. A gravel bike allows you to properly get off road and go long distances on gravel and has drop handle bars and fatter tyres than a hybrid. They generally have a slightly less relaxed position than a hybrid (although they are still more relaxed than most road bikes). For commuting around town a hybrid will meet your needs and will probably be cheaper. If you want to ride long, explore forests, and comfortably be able to ride on just about any terrain a gravel bike is great. Just be aware they are a more niche bike and prices tend to start higher and I’d probs only recommend getting a gravel bike if you’re keen on using it for exercise/enjoyment as well as commuting!

@1970jennifer Super helpful, thank you! Although I’m nervous about transitioning to drop handle bars, I’m really interested in riding for longer distances, on bike paths and trails, for exercise and commuting, so I think gravel sounds like the jump to make!

@44sunset I got a couple! The gravel bike is a Giant Revolt 0 and I’ve also got a Specialized Epic Hardtail (and a very neglected Giant Defy Advanced 0 which doesn’t get much ride time since road rides really don’t appeal to me any more lol). The gravel bike is definitely my fave. If you’re looking for steel frame bikes it’s also worth looking at the Norco Search, they’re really popular and I’ve heard good things. Same with Bombtrack bikes!

@tessal I am so interested in biking but I feel like I don't know where to start in getting a bike. I've looked at what's available in shops around me and they are all so expensive.

I would like to buy used but I don't know how to go about finding something that fits me and how to evaluate the quality of a used bike. I want something for cruising the neighborhood, maybe a smooth trail, and the occasional short commute. Any pointers from more experienced cyclists?

@wallflower1104 I love my flat bar single speed bike. Not so great on steep hills unless you're fit but it's a great little commuter and for local rides around town. They're fantastic on the flat. There's no gears so you're not fumbling around, you just go. They're fast and simple just not as fast as a geared road bike and they can be really affordable. Also they look stylish as hell.

https://www.chappelli.com/product/vintage-single-speed/

Also kevlar tyres are a must if you ride in the city at all. I've never had a puncture since.

@wallflower1104 At least around me, everything modestly priced and worth riding on is sold out, because so many people are riding rather than taking public transit right now.

I agree with Welt_der_Wunder that a hybrid or a gravel road bike is your best starting point, and inexpensive hybrids are easier to find/learn how to use (at least in normal times).

@wallflower1104 Where are you located? In many cities there will be at least one ‘community bike space’, DIY bike shop, or similar non-profit. A lot of them take donations of old bikes, refurbish them, and then sell them for more accessible prices. If your budget is limited and there’s one near you that’s a more affordable option!

Back