Can’t wake up after a hard workout

robg

I’m still considered pretty new at weightlifting, my goal is to build strength, & lose fat. Working out 3-4 times a week and letting my body rest in between.
Lately I’ve been noticing that I can’t wake up in the morning on time to get to work. I’m in bed by 9:30-10pm and need to be up by 5am.
When I’m lucky enough to be up by 5, I’m so incredibly tired, dark eye bags everything. The past couple of days I’ve been needing a couple of more minutes to get up. When I wasn’t working out this wasn’t a problem I felt fine but it’s starting to affect me.
Is this normal ?
Will my body adjust to this eventually ?

Any tips anyone can help me with?

@robg For your recovery, it is essential that you sleep enough and well enough.
you say you sleep around 7 to 7,5 hours, so thats decent, but if you feel you need more sleep, it's also normal for many to need 8 to 8,5 hours of sleep.
Since you do work out now, your body definitley needs more sleep than before, that is normal.

another thing you can try is to improve your quality of sleep. The better the sleep the mor elikely it is for you to need a bit less. So try the usual stuff for improving sleep quality: 1 hour before bed no electronic devices, only sleep in your bed room (no work/study/eating there) and dont work out in the evening, have at least 6 hours between your last workout and your bed time.

your body will adjust probably, but be sure it doesnt adjust to lack of sleep. if youre too tired atm, please sleep a bit longer or train less intense

@newmoneymaker I did have this problem as well, and decided to go for a PPL split after 3 months. You only get one off day a week, but it's a lot more manageable with a busy schedule.

@thomask I feel you! I truly do want to start. I've made it a few times, but by day two I'm legit ready to stab someone to not have to get out of bed. I guess I don't want it bad enough, but it's physically painful to force myself up. 🤷

@mmoran Yeah I've tried it but I just lack the energy for a workout in the morning. My reps in the third set plummet compared to when I do it after work!

@jeffwilly001 awesome, that you link us studies for your claims, much better than i did!

in your first source i cant find your claim though. it only says, that sleep extension is better for recovery than napping or sleep hygiene. Though there were only 218 people participating, which is not much unfortunately and those 218 were split into many different groups, so they only had a few dozen of people per effect studied.

the second study doesnt say what you said though. It says, that the literature says, resistance training improves sleep quality and combined with aerobic exercise, the effect is even stronger. But it doesnt mention what intensity of training, what time of day and how strong the improvements are and most importantly it does not say how many people participated in each of these 13 studies. the study also says it should be studied more about that.

i really like that you used studies and keep up with it. It is just as important to check if the studies are well conducted (enough test subjects, at the very least 1-2 thousand; a good method: best double blind randomized).

@irishbay07
Though there were only 218 people participating, which is not much unfortunately and those 218 were split into many different groups, so they only had a few dozen of people per effect studied.

That's what a meta-analysis systematic review is. If you're curious about veritable sample sizes, don't hesitate to educate yourself.

Lifting improves sleep quality (source).

the second study doesnt say what you said though. It says, that the literature says, resistance training improves sleep quality

You're going to have to be more specific.

But it doesnt mention what intensity of training, what time of day and how strong the improvements are and most importantly it does not say how many people participated in each of these 13 studies.

Fortunately, you can browse the constituent studies examined, for example: https://academic.oup.com/sleep/article-pdf/20/2/95/25722901/sleep-20-2-95.pdf

It is just as important to check if the studies are well conducted (enough test subjects, at the very least 1-2 thousand; a good method: best double blind randomized).

Are you not familiar with systematic reviews? They're far more robust than any single study.

@jeffwilly001 I'm sorry, if i upset you in any way. Your use of language suggests that to me.

I am aware what a meta analysis is, but that does not mean, it is better than any single study, if the tested sample size is way too small for any scientific valid result.

Unfortunately i cant open the second lini but if it contains what is says, thats a great resource, thank you!

@irishbay07
I'm sorry, if i upset you in any way. Your use of language suggests that to me.

Be encouraged to reflect on what your interpretations are founded upon.

I am aware what a meta analysis is, but that does not mean, it is better than any single study

Collating multiple studies is one of the primary reasons why meta-analyses are more scientifically robust.

if the tested sample size is way too small for any scientific valid result.

Feel free to browse the given resource to understand why small sample sizes are not scientifically invalid.

@irishbay07 I'm all on board except the last part. My 2nd workout of the day is usually 10-11PM, and I come home and pass the fuck out hard and sleep fantastic. Plus I feel like I get my best workout because I don't have to save any energy for the rest of the day.

@ljmyers
If I workout a few hours before I try to go to sleep I’ll feel like I just had the whole pot of coffee and need to get shit done.

Same here. If I had to keep watch during a zombie apocalypse, I would definitely train right before. I'd be too jacked to sleep.

Back