Can’t wake up after a hard workout

@dawn16
I come home and pass the fuck out hard and sleep fantastic. Plus I feel like I get my best workout because I don't have to save any energy for the rest of the day.

I do the same thing, but I must admit raising your heart rate significantly before sleep doesn't seem ideal. It's more for convenience than it is for effectiveness haha

@irishbay07 I agree totally with this comment, also you might wanna look at the intensity of your workouts if you follow that comment first and nothing happens

@robg Yes, it is pretty normal. Watch that you are properly hydrated, it may help with getting up as well. I've never had it as bad as you are describing, but being particularly achy and tired if I had to get up early after a workout is just a part of life.

@robg Didn't want to make a one line reply to something this simple, but yes. Hydration improves recovery. More often when I am sore longer, I am not drinking enough water.

@robg I’m sure someone has said this already, but over hydrating can wake you up at night because you have to pee. This is actually a common way that people disrupt their sleep without realizing

So pls don’t drink too much before bed lol

@robg You might need more sleep friend, you should try and experiment. For most people the sweet spot is 8-9h. It differs from person to person. For me personally (21M, lifting 3xweek,running 4xweek) I need at least 8h of sleep or I feel like someone ran me over with a bulldozer. And I am talking like actual sleep. It takes me about 30min to fall asleep so I have to account for that. I would say that I was feeling better just sleeping 6-7h before I started working out.

You did mention though that you're trying to lose weight, how much of a deficit are you in? Maybe you just lack energy overall.

@snlmommy Probably right on the needing to sleep more. I’m just frustrated because that means less time on doing things I want to do like hobbies n such.

Also struggling a lot with eating and what my deficit should be, I’ve calculated and I should be eating around 1,600 calories. Trying to focus on protein, veggies,just started eating chicken again. I realized I don’t like having a big meal for dinner and want to try having a protein smoothie. My main issue is, I can’t eat that much in a day. I’ve been on such a “loose weight calorie deficit” mindset for the most part of my life (I was a fat kid growing up) that my body (skinny fat) is not at all use to eating more than I’m use to and I’m realizing with the way I’m training that I need to eat more and it’s kinda messing with me and my body image.

@robg Using whey protein definitely helps, I struggle with eating enough too but I'm at a caloric surpluss. Make sure you are counting your calories correctly and if you want to gain muscle I would recommend having just a slight deficit. Remember that it might take time to adjust. Getting calories can be hard especially if you want your diet to be healthy.

I don't know anything about your build but 1600 seems too little unless you're short and don't weigh all that much to start with. Find a calculator online, they usually let you put in your level of activity which should account for the calories you lose while training and try to stay at around a 200 calorie deficit. From the info I've gathered that should allow you to gain muscle and not fat as a beginner. As you advance you might have to come to terms with getting a bit of fat while bulking and having to cut it later. Obviously I encourage you to do your research as well, this is just something I've read about a bunch online and I'm quite early on my journey as well.

Remember it's a process, you don't need to be doing everything perfectly and it is possible that you are just overworking yourself trying to do too much too quickly for your current fitness level. Work hours can be a bitch and it's ok to spend some more time on your other hobbies. Try to find a balance. Be healthy but remember to be happy.

@snlmommy This is important, changes made with a 200 calorie surplus/deficit will stick around longer than crash diets and all-in diets, at least for most people.

Work out three times a week with more rest days.

Eat at a 200 calorie deficit.

Eat more volume. Find high-volume and low calorie foods (Zucchini noodles instead of pasta). Training you mind and your body to love the food it needs will be super important. I struggled with the same thing after facing my discomforts with my own body.

I empathize with your position. It's just going to take more of a different type of discipline to work out some of these kinks.

@robg A wise man once said the path to true wisdom is; eat when you're hungry, drink when you're thirsty and sleep when you are tired.

Meant people tend to fail at all three.

@robg A bit late to the party, but .. 1600 kcal/day seems way too little, even on a diet!

Check out TDEE websites/tools to estimate your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. With 4 intense workouts/week, you're likely around ~2,300-2,500 kcal/day. Then aim for ~400 kcal deficit daily. Would get you to ~2,000 kcal/day.

One more comment about kcals... Even without doing any calculation, aim first to be stable in body weight. Basically at least 1 month with min fluctuations in weight. Then you know what is your equilibrium intake. From there, reduce ~400kcal/day.

Last comment - It will take time to adjust not a training regimen! And this includes seeing results. Don't be too harsh on yourself and trust the process. I swear that's how I got any results at all, and tried+failed many times before.

@jazzyjunebug Protein powder in itself isn’t anymore helpful than lean protein sources. It can just make getting in 20-60g, or whatever amount someone chooses, of protein daily easier/ more convenient.

Back