Can a single kettlebell replace a gym membership?

is2017overyet

Hi,

Times are hard. I can no longer can afford a gym membership.

But I have a single 20KG kettlebell that I pretty much never used in the basement.

I'm wondering if it can be used for resistance training and build some muscle. I would do some push ups as well.

Any tips?

@is2017overyet 💯

3-4x ~30 minutes per week.

Do mostly swings, clean and press/jerk, squat, snatch and getups.

Adding a second kB or a heavier one down the line would be ideal.

If the 20kg feels too light, do more reps before switching hands or setting the bell down.

@is2017overyet It's way, way, way better than nothing.

If you can't afford a gym membership, the only path forward for you is to find a way to make that bell be enough. Your training will probably be more to the conditioning side of things than the strength side, but you can absolutely still build muscle doing that.

And no matter what, that conditoning base will serve you very well in the future - whether in everyday life, or once you get access to more equipment.

Super high rep squats, rows, snatches, clean & jerk, presses, burpees, pushups. With any luck you can find a way to do pullups or chinups, and just do a shit ton of those as well.

@is2017overyet That’s a pretty solid weight for a single kettlebell to have. Buy a second one and become a Soviet super soldier with only two movements/40 minutes a week.

Nah, I’m just joking about that last part. But if you’re already trained enough to press that for at least 1-3 reps you’re probably good to do a lot of movements with it right off the bat. My only recommendation would be, if you try to snatch it, start off with the half snatch. And get solid cleans before either one.

Back