3 Things I learned walking 100,000 steps (48 miles!) in a single day, plus tips on long-distance walking:

@dawn16 I lucked out and didn’t get any blisters. However, when I went to get out of bed this morning, I collapsed. My legs just gave out. I wasn’t expecting that. I rested more and now feel pretty normal. The only soreness is in my feet. My legs and calves feel surprisingly good, despite giving out this morning.

@katty143 My friend and I have been texting back and forth about this for an hour, planning our own 100K day this summer, during a Fitbit step challenge that we participate in. You're an inspiration!

@katty143 Just wanted to chime in with: You're amazing! Way to set a crazy goal and follow through with it!

I often do walking holidays on my summer vacation - last year I did three weeks of walking about 15 miles per day, but my highest day was only about 45,000 steps. Thanks for the awesome motivation to push it a little harder!

@ramsden Walking holidays are so fun. I had the opportunity to go to Maine last summer and spent most of it walking and hiking.

Where has been your favorite walking holiday? I want to plan some for this upcoming summer!

@katty143 I've done mine in a few places: France, Ireland, Nepal, and Ethiopia (I live in the Middle East so those are not too far from me). Those locations are nice for walking from inn to inn or teahouse to teahouse or village to village. This summer, it's back to France!
Maine sounds lovely - was it more backcountry with camping, or BnB to BnB? Towns and villages can be a bit far apart there!

@ramsden Wow! That’s amazing. I haven’t gone outside of the US. I’d love to visit new countries and tour by foot. Which was your favorite place? I bet Ethiopia was a super unique experience.

Maine wasn’t very walking friendly within the town areas (almost no sidewalks) so I did most of the walking in Acadia National Park and then drove when I had to be in town, so not fully a walking vacation but still a good adventure in the places I could walk!

@katty143 I can see that being a problem in Maine, although Acadia is gorgeous, so a really nice place to walk. Lucky you :)

France is very "civilized" as far as walking goes - you can hire a company to take your bags to the next inn, and you always have a village with coffee and pastries within a couple hours, plus dinners are wonderful, of course. Ireland was lovely, but the inns and food were not super. Nepal is amazing and you can get porters to carry your stuff (helps the local economy and you get to meet nice local people). The teahouses in the Annapurnas are adequate and the food is good. The scenery is out of this world, of course. Ethiopia was beautiful and very very far away from it all seeming. We had donkeys and guides (local coop that does village improvements is the charity you go through to organize) and ate with local people. We were invited to a village feast in one place! There were constantly children running across the countryside to come and check us out and get their pictures taken. It was extremely charming.

So many great places to see outside the US, but the US is a big beautiful place, too. I'm from Washington State - some great hiking there.