Can an increased protein intake after a month gap cause stomach issues?

truthinlove

I’m trying to diagnose the issue here and would appreciate any feedback 🙏

I was consistently eating pretty high protein (80-90g/day) but stopped for about a month where I fell off and ate out a lot/consumed more alcohol than usual (3-4 drinks/week where I usually don’t drink more than once every few months).
I drank my usual protein smoothie with 2 scoops of the MyProtein Vegan protein and some PB2, woke up halfway through the night feeling incredibly bloated, gassy, and had painful 💩s. I used to start my day with these every single morning for months with no issue.

Last week, I ate a serving of chickpea pasta like I’ve done many times but I had the same reaction (stomach issues and bloating) which leads me to think it might be the quantity of protein not the source. Or maybe both?

I’d appreciate any feedback on preventing this issue or healing my gut. For what it’s worth, I’m able to digest larger amounts of tofu and multiple protein bars with no problem. It’s throwing me off that these foods never bothered me before but are now causing issues so I’d appreciate any advice!

@truthinlove This seems plausible to me - when I up my protein shakes, my digestive system lets me know a bit of displeasure. I would perhaps try and focus on high protein, low density foods - maybe instead of 2 scoops, find another 20g of protein from stuff you can digest more easily. Sometimes I double my lentil intake to 2/3 cup per day and cut the shakes by half.

If you've cut back the alcohol it might just be a waiting game - also worth looking at vegan friendly probiotics to help things along.

@truthinlove When my diet was low protein meals my stomach loved it, then when I increased my protein intake drastically, I was constipated all the time.

I found a solution for it, I started adding 5g of mycillium husk to my protein shakes. The fiber helped alot with my digestion. I wasn't constipated at all

Back