Can anyone recommend a cheap adjustable dumbbell set from Amazon?

sammynq5

Hi All,

I'm starting to work out and want a cheap set of weights. The cheapest I can find is this set from amazon. But I'm not really sure about the quality or anything, but it does seem like a great deal for beginners?

Is there anything else I'm not considering that's decently cheap? I would honestly much rather the quick change dumbbells but they seem to be like 4x the normal cost so not really feasible right now.

Also, no facebook marketplace or anything. Not interested in dealing with other humans in person :)

@sammynq5 I bought the FitRX adjustable dumbbells from Walmart on a Black Friday sale, got a set of 2 dumbbells adjustable from 5-52.5lb, for $150. Way less than you'd pay for the Bowflex kind. Not as cheap as what you listed but they seem to be a decent quality, I like them.the set you show looks pretty cheap, not sure i would be happy with something like that

@kate1989 $44 for for 40lbs isn't bad, especially for my level, but as someone who knows next to nothing, wouldn't it make more sense to get 2.5x the weight for only 2x the cost, including the option for a bar?

@kate1989 Just updating this incase anyone sees. I found THIS SET which I think is the same thing for only $32 shipped, and while I don't think it has long-term uses, I think it's more than worthwhile as it's less than $1/lb of weight, and comes with four little clippies on the side which I was actually planning on buying which is like $5 anyways, so was just too good to pass up.

@sammynq5 This is a Fakespot Reviews Analysis bot. Fakespot detects fake reviews, fake products and unreliable sellers using AI.

Here is the analysis for the Amazon product reviews:

Name: US Weight New Duracast Barbell Weight Set

Company: Visit the US Weight Store

Amazon Product Rating: 4.2

Fakespot Reviews Grade: A

Adjusted Fakespot Rating: 4.2

Analysis Performed at: 03-06-2024

Link to Fakespot Analysis | Check out the Fakespot Chrome Extension!

Fakespot analyzes the reviews authenticity and not the product quality using AI. We look for real reviews that mention product issues such as counterfeits, defects, and bad return policies that fake reviews try to hide from consumers.

We give an A-F letter for trustworthiness of reviews. A = very trustworthy reviews, F = highly untrustworthy reviews. We also provide seller ratings to warn you if the seller can be trusted or not.

@sammynq5 It’s pricey but I bought Powerblocks. Used them for 4 years now with no issues. These things will last 20 years as many users have proven. Get the “made in USA” version for extra durability. The upside is there is probably a good resale market for powerblocks versus knockoffs.

@sammynq5 Just be aware that vinyl weights are usually cement or sand and are thicker than regular iron plates. So you can't fit as much on the bar. Also the barbell says 12 gauge, meaning it's probably hollow, and the DB's are rated for only 30 lbs.

If you end up sticking with lifting long term, eventually you'll be held back by the quality and have to spend extra replacing the whole set. I think it's worth paying a bit more to get standard iron plates and better bars that you can grow into. But weight is weight and it'll work if you just want something for now.

I'd personally go with Cap dumbbell handles, the kind that use spring clips. I bought most of my plates from a 2nd hand sporting goods store, so you would have to deal with people, but at least it'd be a cashier and not some Craigslist rando.

@sammynq5 Correct, those aren't iron. You want pancake plates. You should be able to fit around 4-5 10's per side with a 14" handle, so around 80-100lbs for the whole db.

I'd avoid any odd shaped plates with cutouts since you won't get as much on. I bought a couple of weird ones off Craigslist when I was just starting out and didn't know better, and they rattle and take up too much space.

the handles

Exactly, except the handles you linked are spinlocks. Those have threads, and the collars screw on to the ends and act like nuts on a screw. Spring clip handles are plain unthreaded rod or round tube, and they use the grippy guys.

The spinlocks will work too. They're very secure, plus they come with collars. I actually have a Cap spinlock handle, the silver version of your link, and it's very solid. I just like spring clips better because it's faster to change weights, so that's what I use almost all the time.

It's all up to you. If you want to save $5, not have to buy collars separately, and get a slightly tighter fit, go with the spins. If you want faster and easier weight changes, plus maybe being able to fit an extra small plate on because of collar thickness, go with the springs.

the weights

Yeah, any 1" hole plate will fit. I got mine from Craigslist and Play It Again Sports. You want 4 2.5's, 4 5's, and the rest in 10's. Think the going rate these days is around $1 per lb for used. If money is tight, you can buy just enough for 1 db and do stuff like one arm lifts and goblet squats.

Pro tips:

- Double up on spring collars if you're doing any overhead lifting

- To get a really tight seal on spinlocks, put the db on the floor and spin the plates in opposite directions (handle will rotate clockwise)

- Later on, get another pair of handles so you don't have to change plates as much. Handles are very cheap at ~$20. Not needed for now though

- Always check weight limit before buying bars. Lots of snake oil in home gym equipment

- If you outgrow these, you can make 16-20" handles out of 1" cold rolled steel rod from a metals supplier website and a rubber motorcycle grip for the handle. But that's for much later

@kenneths [sup]Sokka-Haiku[/sup] [sup]by[/sup] [sup]huggsnkisses:[/sup]

I buy most of my

Workout stuff from Craigslist from

People that have lost steam

[sup]Remember[/sup] [sup]that[/sup] [sup]one[/sup] [sup]time[/sup] [sup]Sokka[/sup] [sup]accidentally[/sup] [sup]used[/sup] [sup]an[/sup] [sup]extra[/sup] [sup]syllable[/sup] [sup]in[/sup] [sup]that[/sup] [sup]Haiku[/sup] [sup]Battle[/sup] [sup]in[/sup] [sup]Ba[/sup] [sup]Sing[/sup] [sup]Se?[/sup] [sup]That[/sup] [sup]was[/sup] [sup]a[/sup] [sup]Sokka[/sup] [sup]Haiku[/sup] [sup]and[/sup] [sup]you[/sup] [sup]just[/sup] [sup]made[/sup] [sup]one.[/sup]