Can doing less *really* lead to more results?

@mbursy I appreciate the response! Yes I am breastfeeding. I’m really struggling since this time (3rd kid) things have been much more difficult. I’m SO much stronger now, but the lifting and appetite have made it where I’m hanging onto weight longer than with my others (when I only ran). I need to be more patient but I’m also just burning myself out with the compulsion to push every day

@0st Anecdotally, my strength has been increasing since I switched to lifting twice a week instead of three times. I’m also running 3-4 times a week.

I was stuck at a plateau with my lifts and I’ve finally been able to increase the weight for squats, bench, and deadlifts since I made the switch!

@hrhthena Ooh that’s reassuring! I was going to do AB set up and aim for 2-3 times a week, but I found a high(er) rep full body program (all pro) that seemed to fit better for working out 2/3 x a week.

Hoping the extra rest helps my physical progress as well as my mental fatigue

@0st It depends it you're doing too much now.

Couod you give an idea of your workouts in a given week? Are you able to recover week from week? If you cannot, then you might be doing too much.

@felix10894 I was doing well for a while, regaining my stamina and strength post partum. But lately I think the increased weights and mileage (and this fucking heat) on top of terrible sleep (3 kids 4yo and under) are killing me.

I was going to hard for sure, lifting 3-4 times a week, running 4-4 times, and walking other times. Often exercising in some capacity 2x a day. On crappy sleep with anemia ☠️

I’m trying to get better at taking care of myself, and realizing that doesn’t just mean burning calories and eating less

@0st You kind of hit the nail on the head with what you said.

Kids, no sleep, and not eating enough. Pkus two times a day working out?

I have a little one too and I don't sleep alot right now. So I adjusted my workouts to be less volume so I can recover from each easier.

Look into to doing one workout a day and add a rest day. Then work on your diet and try to eat more. Remember to focus on protien and you'll feel full longer.

The littlest changes can make a huge impact 💪🏾

@0st 38F here. I started hard back at the gym 3mo PP. If you are breastfeeding, in my own experience at least, that was a huge barrier to weight loss- you will hear mixed opinions on that. I didn't count calories while BF, only prioritized protein and was mindful of portions. I was lifting heavy 5-6x per week (deadlifts, squats, leg press) and barely saw change.

When I stopped BF and tracked a caloric deficit was when I really big differences. It sounds like you have a consistent program but consider trying something else to switch up for weights- I had great success with Fierce 5 (an A/B split)

When I went back to work I could no longer maintain my workout schedule and have been going 2-3x/ week for over a year now. I thought I would see a negative impact to my physique but I don't. I continue to progressively overload, I'm less sore and have pretty good motivation/discipline with this balanced approach. I don't drag myself to the gym. I get more rest too and I think that helps a bunch.

Only way to know is for you to try! I can relate to the fear of going backwards, I've definitely been there

@lvsjesus Yeah with my other 2 I was able to drop weight no problem! I didn’t lift weights then, so I think bf + weight lifting is just confusing from a CICO perspective. I don’t count calories daily anymore anyways (got into ED territory) but have spot checked my counts here and there eating intuitively and I think I’m doing pretty well.

Maybe it is the bf. Baby is picking up solids intake and I’ve started offering formula 1-2x a day so I’m hoping decreasing that demand on my body helps settle my hormones a bit too

@0st I became obsessive with calorie counting too so only did it 4 weeks but it gave me a good foundation for how I should portion things and macros in general. Only thing I would add is I don't 'eat back' calories burned, it sounds like maybe you are factoring that into CICO and could also interfere with progress

This was my second baby as well and way harder than after my first- I only walked and lost almost everything (my kids are 17mo apart so that could've made hormones wacky)

Not sure if 'allowed' but Milky Fitness is a great group on fb that has a calorie calculator for BF women- it is super helpful!

@0st I used to have PCOS, now my symptoms have mostly resolved (I have a regular period, I’m not starving all the time, my depression is manageable), but I still struggle with low energy, hunger, and generalized depression. I recently lost 40 lbs by quitting drinking, going from 1300 cal/day to 1800-2000 cal/day, by lifting 4/5x/week for 45 min-1 hour, and doing almost exclusively walking for cardio. I used to do hours of cardio, workout for 2-3 hours/day, do mostly running and stair master.

By cutting out alcohol, tracking my food/eating more, and doing lower intensity workouts + walking, I have the best physique I’ve ever had. Life isn’t easy, I’m still tired and have other problems, but the one problem of my aesthetics is finally conquered in my eyes. I hope this helps

@papabear4811 No disrespect, but you don’t know me lol. Yes alcohol was the problem, but I wasn’t drinking every day to extremes. I also had an extreme hormone imbalance contributing to my body’s inability to lose weight.

@ang7999 If you're comfortable sharing, how did your PCOS start to resolve? I know so little but didn't realize it could be reversed at all. I have a friend who's been struggling with it.

Glad to hear it got better for you!

@raevenbee It’s a loooong story haha. I went to a new OBGYN in 2018 for a procedure, and he was the first person to tell me that PCOS resolves in 80% of women (don’t quote me on the statistic) by age 30. Idk if this is bs.

But for me, I started getting a regular period unprompted at around age 26. Had never had one before that unless I used birth control, which I couldn’t because of the side effects. My other problems persisted - depression, extreme hunger, weight gain from binging/restricting.

I’m a personal trainer but have always struggled with my weight/binge eating. After years of going in circles (like, 15+ years) I cut out all alcohol, started eating more (and tracking it, and incorporating all the foods I loved but healthier so I wouldn’t have cravings), started lifting more (but not excessively), and started doing low intensity cardio instead of balls to the wall cardio.

I did less, ate more, and stopped drinking alcohol. I don’t eat dairy or meat except for fish and eggs, and I barely eat gluten. I went from 180 lbs at my heaviest to currently 128 lbs which I’ve maintained for just over 7 months now. This is just my story but after thinking my body was broken most of my life I feel pretty good

@ang7999 Ok so I had/have PCOS. Got the diagnosis at the beginning of my infertility journey 9 years ago. No clue if it’s still active, but I’m showing all the signs of insulin resistance since this last baby (gestational diabetes with all 3).

I’m taking metformin started this week, hoping to settle it enough to lose weight (and fix the IR) but can you share more about alcohol and PCOS? I do drink on weekends (not a ton, but a few on weekends) so I’m wondering if that could be screwing up my hormones as well

@0st Alcohol is a big hormone disrupter. I don’t know the specific science off the top of my head, but check out The Huberman Lab podcast #82: What Alcohol Does to Your Brain, Body and Health, it was incredibly informative. All I know is that my body is night and day better off after quitting completely

@0st Yes yes yes! I use to lift heavy (lower reps, higher weight to failure) consistently 5 days a week, and eat high protein. It worked really well for me until it didn’t! I was in great shape, but my digestion was all messed up and I was pretty stressed out- not to mention it took up so much time & I could no longer prioritize long, strenuous workouts.

Now I run/hike a few days a week, go for regular walks with my dogs, do lower weight higher rep workouts, and Pilates. I’ve never been leaner, and more well balanced physically and emotionally. Sometimes it just takes finding what is right for you in your season of life.