Can you make good gains with like 6-7 hours of sleep as a beginner?

@zn2309 From all I've read on sleep science that's a load of hogwash. All my life I've been a bad sleeper and I've been perpetually tired. Are you telling me insomnia means my brain is ultra-efficient and I'm functioning as well as everyone else?.

@lmr No, there's a small % of the population who go sleep at 10pm and wake up at 4am and sleep all the way through and feel well rested. They feel and function exactly the same as someone who went to bed at 10pm and woke up at 6am.

@msaltmyer I also wonder if people that are sleeping more have

A) more time on their hands for gym, diet etc

B) have less life stress and less cortisol

C) put more effort into their routines because if they care enough to always get 8 hours, they probably are more intense about their workout/diet etc

@mybridges New research by Wang and colleagues (2018) shows us just how detrimental mild sleep deprivation may be for your physique.
For 8 weeks overweight participants slept 1 hour less than normal on working days. They could make up for this in the weekend with 1 hour of extra sleep on both Saturday and Sunday.
Another group of participants could sleep their regular 6 hours and 20 mins every single night.
Both groups were dieting to lose fat, eating around 1400 calories per day.
Seems like the 2 extra hours of sleep during the weekend could not make up for the consistent lack of sleep during the week.
The difference was in the fat-to-muscle loss ratios.
In the sleep deprived, a whopping 83% of total weight loss (~3 kg) was lean mass, while 17% was fat mass.
In contrast, the sound sleepers lost 81% of their weight as fat and 17% as lean mass.
Earlier research supports this stunting of fat loss and muscle preservation: sleeping a little over 5 hours per night more than cut fat loss in half [Nedeltcheva 2010].

pubmed

pubmed 2

@zorah654 It's interesting but there's no mention of resistance training involved or the amount of protein consumed

Correct me if I'm wrong but to me it seems that the only conclusion we can draw is that lack of sleep will negatively impact non trainees with regards to fat vs muscle loss but we have no idea how that ratio changes when the trainee is actively working to preserve muscle mass during a fat loss phase

It also doesn't address the angle of building muscle and whether lack of sleep will significantly impact the recovery necessary to build muscle in a caloric surplus

I personally don't think this answers the OP's question

@zorah654 Consistency and diet. I've gotten more results this year with 6-8 hours of sleep than most my life with 8.

I am also doing a job that burns an extra 700-1000 calories a day and don't make much of it up until the weekends.

But when you got the volume that works with you, the protein, and the right supplement, the results come with time.

Also, I take ZMA's, beetroot extract, eaa's, creatine, and 2/3 scoop of whey a day. Bought the cheapest I could find. But those are the only supplements that I have had results with. If I had to choose, I would just use creatine and ZMA's and get the rest from foods. Zinc is lost during activities, so it really helps when you are overdoing it. Creatine is just good. Beets help with bloodflow, so also a better workout and recovery. Whey and aminos to boost recovery and make sure I get more protein in.

Then figuring out how much to work out(based on your recovery) and what exercises for the results you want. I built up my shoulders quick with lateral raises, now it's ass and chest time to catch up. Last will be back, but I can do 8 pull ups and that was what's important to me.

@zorah654 How are people actually supposed to get 8+? Are they taking sleeping pills? I could be completely exhausted from a long day with nothing scheduled the following morning and I will wake up after 7 hours no matter what

@davejunior Not everyone needs 8 hours a night. That's an average.

While sleep is obviously very important, it can actually be counterproductive to get too caught up in the science, sleep hygiene, and obsessing over getting enough sleep (cause anxiety about sleep is one of the biggest causes of insomnia in the first place).

I only use 1 thing to determine if I got enough sleep nowadays: do I feel good? Do I have energy and feel alert throughout the day? If yes, I don't sweat it. If no, I take a nap lol

@zorah654 I went to 6 different urologists and multiple tests of all sorts. None of them found any solution. This shit is making me go crazy. 12 months for every single night. Did you ever figure it out?

@davejunior Sleep routines are powerful so if you're used to getting less, there will be an adjustment period before you can reliably get more. In my experience this also becomes more pronounced with age. Also, older people need less sleep

@wishwish55 As a beginner you will make good gains regardless (assuming diet, stimulus and etc is dialed in) you would probably make better gains with more sleep. But you should still see improvements.

Back