Can you make good gains with like 6-7 hours of sleep as a beginner?

@wishwish55 You’ll be fine, it’s not ideal, but very few things in life are. More important is getting enough protein/calories which can be tricky as a beginner. Once you’re already pretty fit / closing in on your physical potential (lifting for several years), the little things matter for those last few gains, but starting out you’re not missing out on much.

If your shoulder is hurting in a sharp/grinding way, that’s no good, if it feels sore for a few days after you workout, that’s fine.

@wishwish55 Don't worry. I started lifting and calisthenics in my 30s, as the father of a small child. I often slept much less than that, and made very noticable gains. Doing what you can and working hard beats worrying about stuff you can't change. Things can't be ideal all the time, life happens.

@wishwish55 lol ive been getting pretty much only 5-7 hours of sleep per night since i started working out a year ago and ive made a good amount of progress. only a few weeks away from unlocking the full front lever 👍. idk how much sleep helps since i never really bothered looking into it but yeah you can still make good progress with a shitty sleep schedula

@wishwish55 Sleep is a very important factor, that is true.

I however am waking up sleep deprived 5 out of 7 days a week. I'm still making decent gains. Would propably better if I got enough sleep, but they are still decent.

@wishwish55 Yes, you can. It's possible... I'm cutting and building muscles with around 5 or 6 hours sleep, rarely with 7 or more. Currently, I'm busy and can't sleep a lot but muscle growth still happens.

@wishwish55 I’m not an expert, of course, but it is a bit dubious where the 8 hour benchmark for sleep comes from (Exercised by Daniel E Lieberman). Most humans across the world get about 7 hour of sleep on average. I wouldn’t be too hard on yourself. Although, if you’re not happy with your sleep there is probably something you can do about it and you may have a legitimate sleep disorder. Try googling “sleep hygiene” and you’ll probably get some good tips pretty quick.

@wishwish55 Sleep is nice. But consistency is king. As a beginner, figuring out a consistent workout regimen along with consistent sleep will help you progress.

I’m a firefighter with two kids. My sleep is whatever I can get. It could be anywhere from 0-8 hours lol. But some non-negotiables are doing something every day. Staying consistent will yield results.

@wishwish55 The biggest mistake in fitness is trying to 100% perfect everything.

It’s ok to be sub-optimal.

If you work out hard (don’t cheat yourself, keep up your schedule) and eat protein, you will see improvements.

Guys in the military have a terrible diet and sleep schedule in the first few years, but they still get ripped, it just takes longer.

Also remember that until about 1980, no one knew what the fuck they were doing. It didn’t stop them getting strong, it just wasn’t totally optimal.

@dimefractal If you mean it's broscience when people treat 8 hours like a magic number that you MUST hit or everything falls apart, yeah. People need different amounts of sleep, and there's a point of diminishing returns. It's only when you start getting into the territory of being tired and strung out all the time that it becomes a problem.

But it's definitely not broscience that sleep is necessary for gains, and that less is worse and more is better. It's the absolute bedrock of recovery that everything depends on, easily as important as program and diet. The difference between well-rested and chronically sleep-deprived is comparable to the difference between natural and enhanced.

@jun_za I'd say if he's waking up that easily, then he should work out more add some cardio etc... I have trouble falling and staying asleep. When I have a long day at work and I do a workout after I sleep like the dead.

@zn2309 Yeah physical exhaustion is the single best treatment for insomnia and waking early/frequently. That's without even getting into the benefits of exercise for anxiety etc. Also yeah cardio is more effective for this than just lifting, and lifting works best when it's relatively high volume.

One thing to note though is that working out too late can make it hard to initially fall asleep for some people. Raising the heart rate and firing up the CNS has a few hours of cooldown that can make it really difficult to wind down.

@dimefractal Sleep is not broscience. It's one of the most universal basic necessities for conscious life, and this is coming from somebody who struggles to get good sleep. Sure, you can make gains with shit sleep but you could make more, feel better, look better and live longer if you got better sleep.

Back