Can you make good gains with like 6-7 hours of sleep as a beginner?

@wishwish55 Learn to sleep with ear plugs. Improved my sleep quality immensely. They’ll be uncomfortable at first, and you may need to go through a few different types of unable to get used to a set within a few weeks.

Like anything there are compromises to using ear plugs, but your quality of sleep should be a priority, and trying earplugs should be seriously considered. Once you’re used to them, wow, you’ll be glad that whenever there’s noise you’ll get to sleep quick once they’re in.

@dawn16 I swear, this is my gospel. I tell everyone to give them a go. I used to have a lot of trouble falling asleep in under an hour or so, but I bought some little green foam ones off amazon for a trip I took, and I wear them every night now. Game changer for me.

@dawn16 Ive tried a bunch, is there a type that you’ve noticed work best? I get a lot of pain at the compression points of contact after having them in for a few hours. Any tips?

@joel05 Loops quiet are the only ones that I find consistently comfortable as a side sleeper. I’ve tried so many but these somehow block lots of sound without going too far into the ear. Also way easier to clean than the silicon ones that look like Christmas trees.

@jeffhand No earplugs are so amazing that you won’t hear very loud things within a handful of metres from you. I’ve never not heard my alarm through my earplugs.

@dawn16 Unless you have a cpap, in which case the sound of your own breathing in your head can be more annoying than outside noise depending on your circumstance.

If so, a noise maker can help too.

@dawn16 Nah wouldn't recommend. I used earplugs in college and they messed up my ears. Gave me tinnitus that is barely noticeable in summers but in winters I hear it all the time. Doctors said that my ears were perfectly fine on examination yet this noise never leaves me alone.

@wishwish55 The last time I slept well was in college. Once I became a parent, work 8 to 10 hours a day, and attempt to go to the gym 5 days a week. I don't think I have had 8 hours of sleep in 25 years.

@wishwish55 Different people need different amounts of sleep. I do think getting good sleep is important for recovery and just health in general. Still, I would imagine you'd get better results working out with limited sleep than doing nothing. Maybe take an extra rest day every so often if you're feeling wiped out.

I'd suggest things like ear plugs and maybe a sleep mask if you can't move out. Maybe try napping if they're out for some period of time.

@wishwish55 You should sleep as much as you need to. Your body has a natural amount of time it needs to sleep per day, for the vast majority of adults this is between 7 and 9 hours. For instance if I'm not sleep deprived I don't sleep more than 7.5 hrs, and if I tried I couldn't. There is a very small proportion of people with a gene that makes them need less than this, but it's around one in a million frequency, so you probably need at least 7 hours. Most people who think they need less than this are just conditioned to chronic sleep deprivation, which has a wide array of negative health effects aside from limiting your athletic performance. Spend some time figuring out how long you naturally sleep when you are not sleep deprived - set things up for a week to ensure that you go to bed early enough that you can wake up for school/work without an alarm clock, and record the time from when you get in bed to when you naturally wake up. That's how much you need.

@wishwish55 Yeah sure but the thing is, less sleep is less recovery. I used to do PPL 6 days a week when I slept allright, but since last april I have been averaging 5:30 hours a night, which fucks with recovery hard. I finally lost my stubbornness and decided to do less and recover more, and that is working.

Just be mindful of the signs your body gives you. Getting injured because of overuse sucks bigtime so go hard, but not too hard. Gains are made with good recovery.

Back