Chris Hinshaw AMA

@oldman1941 Hey Chris, thanks so much for doing this!
As a bigger athlete (6'3" 230), I've been trying to get better at running long distance lately, something I've always struggled with.
1) do you think that straight up running for 40-50 minutes at a relatively easy pace is a good way to build endurance?
2) towards the end of the run, my feet often start to get numb, and I think it's because I'm landing a little hard with each stride. What can I do to fix this running form error?

Thanks so much!

@johnchen
  1. I think building capacity up to 40 minutes at an easy pace is a great idea. I believe a great goal for every fitness athlete is having the ability to run 5000m without stopping. To build this capacity, you must prioritize workouts that focus on building more and more time on your feet. You must prepare your structure (muscles, ligaments, tendons). However, it's very important that you properly define the easy pace. Take a look at Dr Phil Maffatone's book.

Answering the question about your form is tricky without seeing you run. Many times feet start getting numb because of their shoes. The shoes might be too tight or, in my case, I sometimes have numbness issues when they are brand-new. I always swap my old insoles into the new shoes (until I've put in a few miles).

Hey Chris, thank you so much for doing this. I'm pretty convinced I suck at breathing during WODs, and it's seriously holding me back. Besides doing aerobic workouts to increase conditioning outside of CrossFit, do you have general tips for strategic breathing during WODs?

@oldman1941 The key is knowing your breathing cadence. There is A LOT of information out there about breathing (i.e., inhale thru your nose, out thru your mouth, 2 in, 3 out....you get the idea). However, you must consider what the brain needs to maintain efficiency. As example, if you take 10 steps in 1 cycle of your breath, then 4 steps in the next cycle, and then 14 steps in the next cycle, how does your brain know when the next breath of oxygen is coming. Your aerobic system needs oxygen. Focus of developing a consistent breathing pattern and know when your cycle rate turns into hyperventilating (when this happens you must either slow down or finish).

@oldman1941 When programming for a games athlete, what does the program consist of in the month leading up to regionals and the games? What does it look like in the week leading up to the event?

@noname5137 The programming really depends on the athlete. Leading up to regionals, we definitely back off on the volume so that they can focus on the regional events. That said, some athletes train right through regionals and focus on the games. Although we don't know the specific games events, we do know (based upon historical events) the prior event time domains. I program workouts based upon the athlete's sustainable pace for that time domain. As example, Rich Froning can sustain a 3:56 mile pace for one minute and a 7:56 mile pace for 3 hours. All my athletes practice a variety of pieces so that their bodies recognize that intensity if that particular time domain appears at the games. Remember, just because you do all your running at a six minute mile pace that does not mean you are capable of running economically at a 10 minute mile pace. I take the approach that every movement is unique in every speed within movement is unique.

@catrinabrosko Can Froning really maintain a sub 8 pace for 3 hours? You obviously know him and his abilities much better than us but he would be close to a 3hr15min marathon whihmch is pretty good. Hell I would be surprised if he could do a 1hr45min half marathon.

@oldman1941 Hi Chris, thanks for doing this. When it comes to building an engine for the open - style workouts with heavier weights and large sets (16.4/17.4) what is a good way to build up the stamina to complete those larger sets? How important is improving your max (i.e. deadlift) so these heavier sets are a smaller percentage of your max?

@melissadaisy99 It is important to consider the capacity of the entire muscle fiber spectrum. We must overload muscle fibers based upon the individual fibers capacities. We are able to overload are most extreme fast twitch fibers by lifting one wrap lifts. However are most extreme slow twitch fibers must have volume in order to be overloaded. Remember we apply a stimulus on a body, allow sufficient recovery, we create an adaptation. Programming must look at both ends of the muscle fiber spectrum. How are you addressing the development of your slow twitch fibers, intermediate (hybrid) 2a fibers and fast twitch fibers? Are you neglecting any fibers that will contribute towards your work capacity? Yes, building your max lifts are important but you should also consider lifting higher volume loads at ~65-70% of your one rep max for your intermediate fibers and even higher volumes at ~40% of your one rep max for your slow twitch fibers.

@oldman1941 Hey Chris,

Really appreciate you taking the time to chat with the community.

Biggest question I have is in regards to balancing classic CrossFit W.OD.s with more specialized training. In your opinion what's the right mix of W.O.D style workouts vs. straight strength training / cardio / gymnastic work etc. If there a general rule of thumb or is it always dependent on the athlete?

@oldman1941 First I would like to say the work you put out and contribute to this sport is beyond phenomenal. Especially the fact you post up free workouts that are helping a huge majority of crossfits athletes around the world improve drastically their fitness.

Now my question is;

Is there any progression or cycles going on in your weekly workouts you post freely on your website? If so, could you elaborate? I'm trying to learn how to program endurance type workouts, and I'm really interested to learn how you approach the programming.