Comparison photos: Rogue Fitness and Kettlebell Kings

dariusc93

Howdy y'all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I recently got into kettlebell training and have been acquiring some heavy things to pick up and set down. I was torn between buying a Kettlebell Kings (KK) powder coat kettlebell or Rogue Fitness (RF) kettlebell. Well, I have both now, and I thought it might be worthwhile to post some photos comparing the two. They're not the greatest shots in the world but I think they adequately illustrate the differences.

Meet the contenders

The two kettlebells side-by-side. That's the 20 kg/44 lb KK kettlebell on the left (purple striping), and the 24 kg/53 lb RF kettlebell on the right (green striping). In all of the following photos, the KK bell will be the one on the left, or the first image posted if there are two separate photos.

Profile shot

The difference in finish between the two is pretty dramatic to the eye (and hand). The KK bell is not only incredibly even in terms of the casting itself, but also the coat, which is smooth and even. The RF bell is less cleanly cast, and the coat has a far rougher texture.

Logos

(KK)

(RF)

The difference in the quality of the casting is pretty obvious here. There are some incredibly fine details in the KK logo, and they're rendered with amazing sharpness. The RF logo is a little lumpy and uneven.

Weight markings

(KK)

http://i.imgur.com/DaF9mKah.jpg (RF)

Similar story here. The KK weight markings are so cleanly cast that they almost look machined. The RF kettlebell isn't nearly as clean. Also worth noting: look at the flat part of the kettlebell that the numbers are molded into. The edge of that flat portion is super crisp on the KK kettlebell, which speaks to the quality of the mold they use when casting.

Bases

http://i.imgur.com/VEJ0VUjh.jpg

KK claim on their website that they machine the bases of their kettlebells to make them perfectly flat. They aren't lying. They're perfectly flat. RF doesn't say whether their kettlebell bases are machined (my guess is no), but the base on mine is plenty flat to sit on the floor without wobbling.

Handle texture and striping

http://i.imgur.com/nPA4Qqxh.jpg

This really gives you an idea of how different the feel of the two kettlebells is. The KK kettlebell is incredibly smooth, while the RF kettlebell is definitely rougher. The paint stripe on the KK bell is more opaque, thicker, brighter, and more even than the RF kettlebell—it almost looks like someone wrapped electrical tape around the handle.

Final thoughts

Having swung both kettlebells around for a while, I can say that both of them are certainly up to the task. I don't use chalk on my kettlebells, and some folks say that's where the rough texture of the RF kettlebell really shines, grabbing onto the chalk and improving grip (that same roughness apparently tears some folks' hands up, but my callused mitts have done so many deadlifts that it'd probably take a kettlebell made of broken glass and 80 grit sandpaper to do much to them). Even without chalk, the texture of the RF kettlebell provided ample grip and didn't tear my hands up at all. That said, the KK bell never felt hard to control, even with sweaty hands.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions about which product is superior, but long story short: one of these kettlebells is being sent back and replaced by a kettlebell from the other brand. Yeah, it's a hunk of iron, and yeah, it's only pretty the day it comes out of the box, but for the money I paid, I'd personally prefer something that really communicates quality and attention to detail.

@rmarie2020 My pleasure. Happy it was helpful. I honestly believe both brands are great (and both have, in my experience, excellent customer support). But, as I wrote above, attention to detail and quality of the product matter a lot to me, and that made my decision pretty easy.

Back