Considering a new approach to strength and hypertrophy by implementing high rep training

@brohoho I tried some GVT on squats and towards the last 3 sets all the reps felt stronger than the first few sets, and the next few days my legs weren't exactly sore but stimulated and felt strong when walking, this is something i rarely get with lower reps and higher loads. I think there's a potential for the higher reps to recruit just as much t2 fibers as higher loads or faster concentrics, but the threshold probably differs for everyone.

@brohoho I used to powerlift. Had decent but not super impressive numbers for my weight but I had fun. Really helped kickboxing. I noticed when my deadlift reached over 400lbs, no one liked being kicked by me anymore.

Later I added very high rep calisthenics and cut the main lifts way back.

First time in my life at 35 that I could actually build my Pecs. Endurance greatly improved as did conditioning.

My flexibility also greatly improved and I didn't even try to stretch for a side split but was very close to getting one.

My joints felt way better as well. Balance was also way way better.

Routines were something like:

Main lift 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps of about 80% max. Really didn't push it.

Upper body rep day was 180 dips, 250 pushups, 180 chin ups. Some hand balancing and handstand push-ups.

Leg day was 500+ reps of a mix of bw squats, split squats, side lunges, sl deadlifts.

Would periodize in some power work and cut the reps in half.

I would also work in kettlebells and club bells for fun and conditioning.

So now I'm in my 40s and am looking to rester this type of training for a project.

@eian At first the very high rep stuff took two hours. I could have ramped up but just jumped in.

After two months, it came down to about an hour, leg day was faster.

Pullups is where rest time was needed most.

@bacsb00 Thanks for the recommendation. Upon inspection, Kboges has a solid, shredded physique, a unique source of knowledge and the backyard of my dreams.

@brohoho KBoges has an interesting approach to training. He's not flashy with things like muscle ups or other skills, but he preaches sustainability and health above all else. He's not trying to impress you, he wants to help you.

@brohoho Thats our only approach in maximum security prison, as there are no machines. And some absolutely amazing physiques are built in there. I know me personally, i use to do 3,000 push ups a day. 1,000 after every meal. And i blew up 40 pounds in 3 months. I spent a lot of time working out and i was in my early 20s. Im sure my age helped out a lot. But now i lift weights 10 years later and im still not as big as i was doing all bodyweight exercises in my 20s. The biggest downside i guess would be the time it takes to workout 3 times a day. But i can remember never getting sore after i got use to it. All im saying is there is so many ways to build a physique. So for anyone to say "this is the only way to grow" is only a opinion.

@brohoho I do this training style at the moment! I find high intensity rep training incredibly boring. But honestly, this sub is pretty dogmatic when it comes to training. Everything has to be low rep high intensity bla bla. There are enough people that built great strength and physiques by just high rep bodyweight training. Just look at iron wolf, k boges, oldschoolcalisthenics, zero gravity training, the list goes on. Just do what fits you the most. Building strength and size is possible with any rep range.

@brohoho Don’t have the citation handy, but a few science based guys on YouTube have discussed this and the research seems to support the hypertrophy side of it (to a point) but not the strength side unless you’re early in your fitness journey.

The other issue is it appears that the muscles become acclimated to higher rep workloads and so the current recommendations is to maybe do a very high volume routine for 4-6 weeks, but then do 3-ish months at a lower volume before doing another 4-6 weeks. This is definitely a cycle that plenty of people have had success with.

The 8-12 number is overly focused on because it is so reliable, but that doesn’t mean more volume is junk volume. Junk volume refers more to excessive volume that is not sufficiently challenging you.

So basically, give it a shot and see how it feels, but if you want to make big strength gains you will need to cycle down to harder movements for lower reps.

@brohoho It will work well, as long as you're not going under the 30% 1rm intensity limit.
But I'd take a few things into consideration:
It's not quite clear and controversial, if muscle fibre specific hypertrophy is possible to get, but in case it is, high rep training is maybe counterproductive to strenght gains.
Besides that, high volumes might be great for a specific amount of time, but in the long run out lead to joint and tendon problems, as usually not the intensity, but repetitive stress is problematic for the tissue.
But after all, if it is fun and therefore make you do it consistently, it work the relatively small risk.

@jah138 I’m 160 lbs so intensity limit probably won’t be an issue. If you’re referring to what I replied with above regarding fiber types, truthfully I just didn’t have any better way to explain the tension brought on by fatigue that is championed by this training style. I wonder how long before the repetitive movement would bother me in such extreme numbers of reps.. thank you for keeping this interesting!

@brohoho I checked on it. Everything up to 40 reps till failure is effective for hypertrophy. As long as it's that intense, it should work well. Close to failure training is important though. Also I think the tension brought by fatigue you talked about, is due to the fatiguing of fibers, so the contract slower and therefore experience more mechanical tension. Also fast/explosive execution can help with high motor unit recruitment, which is important.
I'd say deloading (like cutting volume and reps in half) every three month or so should keep you on the safe side.
That's my take on that. Quite intriguing topic indeed.

@brohoho So this is actually something I implement. I trained pure body weight all of highschool, switched to powerlifting and weightlifting (oly) in college, and then got out and went back to body weight due to some nagging injuries (some genetic stuff). I do 5 exercises a workout for 50 reps each. Malcolm X sets (as few sets as possible to achieve the rep goal). The program I wrote goes legs, pull, legs, push, rest. Then repeat. For me, my upper body grows very fast and always has, and although my lower body is strong, it took a lot to get it big, so I train legs twice as much. I also wear a 20 lbs weight vest and ankle weights for as long as possible during the workouts. This style works really well for me, but also I’ve always responded best to high volume body weight workouts- especially in comparison to other styles of training. Another thing to note- unless you are the guys from Barstarz- super high rep pull-ups are basically impossible. So I do pull-ups until I can’t, and then all my pull-up variations become inverted row variations instead to allow me to keep training. I can show you pictures of the spreadsheet I have if you want, but be warned there’s a lot of plyometrics lol I want my legs to stay big

@cjegan2014 Got back into calisthenics in a big way these past two months. I myself returned from a hiatus of not working out due to being busy and working all the time but before that, I did weighted calisthenics and barbell movements. Body weight volume is currently my preferred method of hypertrophy too so if you don’t mind, I’d actually love to see your spreadsheet!