Considering a new approach to strength and hypertrophy by implementing high rep training

@brohoho I've been training in this fashion for close to a year now and the results are fantastic. I switched to this after 6+ years of strength style training in the gym. My physique completely transformed. My conditioning is at a new level.

@brohoho In my experience high rep calisthenics just results in plateaus. I used to do similar workouts: 200+ push-ups in sets of 10-50, 100 pull-ups in sets of 2-15, etc. And I never really got better at those exercises, I just got proficient at doing that many reps. When I restarted weight training with a focus on strength (3-8 reps max) I found that I was better at calisthenics for a lot less effort. I don’t know how true this is, but I think strength sets the ceiling for endurance. If you don’t have the muscle you’re not going to have any mass to recruit for endurance tasks. Plus I kept getting RSIs from doing the same thing over and over.

@brohoho You’ll be fine. I’ve done bodyweight high rep and volume, typical bodybuilding, and low rep high weight. I was the leanest with the most cardiovascular conditioning one bodyweight high rep, but still plenty strong. I was bigger, stronger on hypertrophy routines, but had to work more on cardio separately. I was strongest but thickest on low rep heavy, and also had to do more cardio.

Of each of them, on heavy weight training ever caused me any notable problems. Never injured by any of them, but heavy strength training sucks the most for me personally.

I prefer bodyweight or bodybuilding training. Just for general health and fitness, then I’d pick bodyweight. It’s also more fun and easier on joints to me. YMMV.

@brohoho
Recently, I’ve become fascinated with extremely high rep training after watching some YouTube and researching the topic. Plenty of world class athletes like Mike Tyson, David Goggins and Herschel Walker, guys in the street workout scene, convicts and eastern block fellas have subscribed to this style of training and have seen awesome results.

There's a reason why the number of people with good results for strength and hypertrophy training like this is few (and usually people of above average to elite genetics).

On the other hand, the vast majority of all high school, college/university, and professional sports teams use standard strength and hypertrophy training.

You can try it if you want, but both science and training agree that most combination strength and hypertrophy training works best with the 5-12 maybe 5-15 rep range.

If I train someone for both strength and hypertrophy hit the compounds with the 5-10 rep range, and then hit up isolations can go anywhere from the 10-30 rep range for the pump if you want that which is metabolic stress related hypertrophy. Compounds in the 10 rep range tend to maximize the mechanical tension and muscle damage stress on the muscles

@brohoho It's called "German Volume Training", isn't a "New Idea" and isn't particularly better than just increasing your loading or difficulty the usual way.

It legit takes like 10-20 minutes to do 100 reps, dude depending on what you're doing

@brohoho 30 x 5 is unoptimal. 30 x 10 is unoptimal. In the case that either are optimal, then you’re training too much.

Reps should be around 80% of your pr. Having 30 sets is just ridiculous. At most is 10 sets with for properly managed fatigue. Yeah, you can bust your body up in one day—but if you do that, you won’t be able to train the concurrent day.

@brohoho If you want to maximie hypertrophy going for high reps will not be optimal. You certainly can do that if you enjoy this type of training, which is quite an important factor when selecting your workout plan, and it will be a fruitful routine, but it will be more difficult to reach muscle failure and it will take a greater toll on your mind making it even harder to squeeze out everything you’ve got.

@brohoho I have been doing high reps training(super sets, pyramids, emoms) for a year, but combined it with slower repetitions, drop sets, jumping from a harder to easier exercise one I reach form failure. It gave me some really good strenght and muscle gains comapared to when I was going to the gym.