Considering a new approach to strength and hypertrophy by implementing high rep training

@samlight I feel you man. Congrats on getting into better shape . Mr goggins inspired me to stop being fat as well and now I am finally lean and enjoying sports and calisthenics etc. Let's get it!!

@brohoho Increasing volume per week is one way to progressively overload. The main issue with that is it just takes longer to do a workout like that.

With weights they typically just add weight. In calisthenics people have to increase volume or do a harder version of an exercise.

Some heretics might add weight to calisthenic movements with a vest or backpack. (Source: heretic here)

@brohoho I started doing this but with light weights and bands just before pandemic set in. Never got a Sandow body, but I did see some results. There's a very pleasant light ache compared to DOMs that you'd never think you're getting in the moment.

Currently I'm doing more standard 3x10 stuff at the park just because I have no time for long and light, but yeah, it's a great way to go about it in my experience and lets you really, really focus on form.

@brohoho I'm sure it works and if that's your thing. Personally though, the 3x8-12 you mentioned for me works much better since it is easier to implement and progress. Rather than do a crazy 30x5 routine or a 30 down workout I would just.. do something like 3x10, add weight each session or alternate session, would see similar progress in terms of hypertrophy.

@brohoho IMHO high rep stuff is mostly endurance training and it's freaking boring. Just switch to harder progression that's more taxing and/or alter tempo (eg 6 sec for lenghtening of muscle and at least 1sec pause for max contraction) and the results will be better than just spamming reps.

@brohoho I think it will work for hypertrophy. But anything works for hypertrophy. High reps work, low reps, work etc. All it requires is enough volume.

For strength, I don't think it will work so well. In fact, a lot of the videos you see of people doing High-Rep programs and looking very strong may be missing the part where they actually trained using lower reps and more intensity.

So if you want to get stronger, I'd make sure to keep some lower rep and higher intensity training in your program. Like you said, Tyson isn't that great of an example. That guy was strong simply from existing. 😂

@brohoho You should really check out The Iron Wolf on YouTube, I think he’s the person you’re looking for. I’ve been doing his workouts for a while now, but I can’t really say anything about the results just yet (too early). But, I believe, as long you provide your muscles with time under tension and also almost reaching failure (and eating enough) you should have no reason to not put on mass. And, talking about strength, you can always use a weighted vest or chains to toughen up the workout.

@brohoho You're doing sets of 30 pull-ups? While that might get you some hypertrophy, you'll get greater strength gains from lower rep weighted pull-ups.

I tried higher rep workouts and they do work to some extent, but I just don't have the time for all those reps. I can't afford to spend 2+ hours a few times per week (if doing full body) on this. One of the reason people choose lower reps is that it delivers the results (strength, hypertrophy) in a fraction of the time. As for strength you'll definitely need lower reps to break through plateaus.

@brohoho Hypertrophy can effectively occur at heavy, moderate, light, and even very light loads (assuming low/very low-load sets are taken to failure). However, if the load becomes too low, hypertrophy will suffer.

Based on multiple studies on the matter, somewhere between 0% of 1RM and 30% of 1RM, is a point where muscle growth starts the drop off. So if you want to optimize muscle growth, I wouldn't recommend going higher than 30 reps.

Also, high-rep sets taken to failure on certain exercises will have a crappy stimulus-to-fatigue ratio. Usually, going below 30% 1RM is brutal. You get all the pain but only a fraction of the gains.