CrossFit or Oly Lifting? Lead me towards a path ladies!

jburd

Hey y’all! I used to do a CrossFit style program several years ago at this point (like, 6 or 7) and haven’t lifted since but really miss it and feel very weak and out of shape.

The unaffiliated gym I went to back then didn’t do any gymnastics but I do like the idea of pull ups/ muscle ups/ handstands/ handstand push ups and pistol squats, which is why I’m considering CrossFit again. The gym near me has very good reviews and it sounds like good/ varied programming , but I just can’t get myself motivated / interested in the cardio heavy bits or AMRAPS.

There is also an Oly gym next to me, $50 more a month than the CrossFit gym for an unlimited membership, with coaches and frequent competitions and things that they really encourage.

I’m wondering which one would be better for me. I mainly want to lift and get stronger again and have been encouraged to do oly lifting because of my muscle related problems I have, but I also am not sure if I’m self motivated enough to learn the gymnastics bit of CrossFit on my own. (Don’t shame me, even if I want to know how to do something, I generally do better in classes, with guidance, etc)

Tips? Advice? Anyone been in similar shoes? Pros? Cons? Help me pick a path!

Also I’m not super worried about not getting cardio because I walk almost everywhere / rarely drive, and also have started cycling (although it’s winter now so less so…)

@jburd Based off what you said, start with Oly. You can always drop in to a box to get your CrossFit “fix.” And remember, fitness is for life. You can change your mind whenever you want and do what helps you feel your best!

@jburd I do both. Crossfit M,W,F, and my wife and I do lifting for Hypertrophy on Tues, and Thursday.

I would say if you are just looking to get strong and have a more defined physique. Diet and Lifting. This is what my wife does.

I, on the other hand, love the stretching, well-rounded strength, cardio gains, and camaraderie that comes with crossfit.

I do a lot of Dirtbiking, mountain Bikeing, hiking, and walking, and the overall fitness benefits I get from crossfit are a perfect crossover to make my hobbies more enjoyable and less exhausting.

Just look at what your goals are. If like my wife, it's about how you look and feel at the beach. Then I say stick to lifting.

If it's about being able to pull yourself up a rock while hiking. Or going on a challenging bike ride with plenty of strength and cardio, you will want some form of HIT training like Crossfit.

@jburd I do CrossFit so am biased, but if your only goal is to get stronger then it should be oly with a solid strength based progression programme behind it. I do CrossFit because I love the gymnastics/cardio/team sport side of it as well as the lifting. Its an all in one solution for me and always motivates me to get into the gym.

@jburd Oly will get you stronger and better at well... Oly.

I’m wondering which one would be better for me. I mainly want to lift and get stronger again and have been encouraged to do oly lifting because of my muscle related problems I have.

If that's your main focus I focus on that. You don't have to be locked in for life. Heck you can do CrossFit after 6 months or a year or whenever. I'd just focus on your main goal first and re-evaluate when you've made a lot of progress.

Tons of athletes switch back and forth between the two over time, and some CrossFitters compete in weightlifting meets too.

Alternatively drop in and feel the vibe of both and just stick with what you enjoy more.

@jburd
I mainly want to lift and get stronger again

Getting stronger was the main reason why I decided to focus more on oly lifting than CrossFit.

I do like the idea of pull ups/ muscle ups/ handstands/ handstand push ups and pistol squats, which is why I’m considering CrossFit again

I recommend asking the gym you're considering about their programming and how often these movements are incorporated. Some gyms shy away from them, while others sprinkle them in but may not be enough for you to make significant progress.

Also ask about personal training sessions. One option could be to join the oly gym and book personal training sessions at the other to work on CrossFit gymnastics movements.