DB Press Increase

lucyflor

(F) Doing dumbbell press with 35-pounders. Now at 3x10. I'll increase to 3x12 for about 2 weeks before I increase. But here's my dilemma: going from 35s to 40s is a pretty big weight increase, even if I drop to 3x6 / 8. Is there anything for an in-between weight bump?

@lucyflor You could do 40 on your first set, then 35 on your down sets.

Depending on the material of your dumbbells, you could get magnetic plate mates to add 1.25 increments

You could add 2.5lbs wrist weights

@lucyflor This is the way. You can increase reps, increase sets, increase weight, increase intensity or increase duration for one or multiple sets. Doing 10 reps superfast with momentum is easy. Pausing/squeezing at top and bottom or slowing the rep down makes it way harder.

@lucyflor With dumbbells you need to get a bit creative. I've seen lots of suggestions for mini plates. OK that is one form of progression.

What you want to look at is adding density: the amount of work done. You can do this by reducing the time. Increasing the sets. Increasing the reps. AND increasing the weight.

So with Dumbbells my first protocol is to either increase the reps or sets. Then reduce the rest time. Then increase the weight.

@lucyflor How about incorporating substitution sets? Work in a set or even a partial set at the higher weight and over time increase the volume with the new weight. It's a technique that I have used successfully to go from 20kg to 40kg pressing.

@lucyflor Switching to 1 arm at a time might help you here. It's harder this way but if your goal is improve L-R imbalane and shoulder stabilization then it's a good option. If you're doing 35s for 10 reps now, you may not be able to match that when you go 1 arm - but see.

Whatever the case, there are three nice options to get through gaps when you do 1 arm at a time:

- alternating sides gives you a bit of a break between reps so you'll likely be able to do more than all reps on one side then the other

- do as many as you can on one side, then do the reps on the other side, then right away go back to the first side and try to finish the desired # of reps, then back to the second side. Go for a 3rd round if you need to.

- do as many as. you can on one side, then do assisted (use your other hand to assist) concentric (pushing the weight away from you) and then take the other hand off the weight and do the eccentric (lowering) normally.

@lucyflor You are looking to increase strength, but you are doing sets for hypertrophy(reps of 10 or 12). If you want to increase from 35 to 40, then you should be doing sets of 3-5. And in your case, you can likely already do that. So the same would hold true when you want to move from 40 to 45.

@jebzuz Currently set of 3x10. I'll increase next week to 3x12, do another week of 3x12, then try to increase weight to 40@ 3x5 and see if I can. If not, I'll try one of the bridge suggestions for a week or 2, then see if I can do 3 sets of 40@ 3x6 (or 40@ 3x5) and slowly work up to 3x12 again. Rinse and repeat.

@lucyflor do 40s for the first set and then 35s for the rest. You can shorten your rest periods to help bridge the gap too. Shorter rest is another way to progress.

@lucyflor Increase reps not weight. Or use fractional plates. I use PlateMate, they are magnetic rubberized fractional weights (1.25lbs each) that you can stick to the sides of a metal dumbbell. MicroGainz is another one if your dumbbells are rubberized.

Back