Did deadlifting... Recovery suggestions

pike942

Disclosure: So, I'm not totally vegan, but I only eat animal products in social settings (i.e. dates), and I don't spend money on them under normal circumstances, so I'm like, 99% vegan in practice.

Basically, I did deadlifting for the first time in my life yesterday (2 sets of 8 brought me to failure) and my legs are on fire. Given that I don't have a license and I walk everywhere (adds up to about 8-12 miles a day according to the app I use to track my steps).

TLDR; I want my legs to recover ASAP because I'm walking like 11,000 steps, and feeling every one of them.

@pike942 From a muscle aspect my biggest recommendations are
- stretch every morning and before bed if you can. It’s a great way to wake you up (or wind you down), prep the muscles for the day, and heal any soreness. Don’t do dynamic stretches like you would before a workout, do static stretches - something like a yoga routine. Even 5-10 minutes can help.
- stretch before (dynamic stretches) and after (static stretches) every workout!
- BUY A FOAM ROLLER. Lord, I loveee my foam roller. It really, really helps heal the soreness in my legs. It can hurt to use, especially if your muscles are super tight, but it feels really good at the same time!! And even better afterwards.
- space out your workouts. I’m sure you’re already doing this, but I’m a fan of training leg day, arm day, leg day, arm day, rest day. Or even in my tough weeks (especially beginning), legs, arms, rest, legs, arms, rest. You may need more rest days than most since you walk so much.

From a nutritional aspect
- turmeric is said to help with inflammation. Ginger and cayenne pepper have lots of health benefits too!
- LOTS of water
- keep an eye on your protein intake and watch the vitamins + minerals you’re getting. You may need a b12 or iron supplement
- don’t be afraid of carbs! you need them for energy!
- use melatonin if you’re having sleep issues. Good sleep will heal your muscles greatly

Sorry that was a ton of info but I hope you found some of it (if any) helpful!! Another tip, don’t listen to these people bashing you for not being “100% vegan” (though , of course, if you’re interested in becoming a full-fledged vegan, I 10000% recommend it!). We all have our journeys and all I can ask from people is that they educate themselves, and try to rid of as many animals suffering as possible.

@themadnessinme What's the optimal protein intake? I read a lot of conflicting information on this. Some people say 1g/lb of bodyweight, but I'm a bit of a chunky monkey so that'll basically be impossible to hit on my plant-based diet. Others suggest 1g/lean pound of bodyweight, but, I'm like 50% fat by bodyweight, so I'm not sure how practicable 170g is, especially since I'm trying to lose weight and run a hefty caloric deficit. Some vegan lifters I've met say you don't need more than 80, but that seems low for somebody who's trying to go from zero to being extremely active.

@pike942 Most of the people who are recommending protein intake for your normal athlete who’s trying to lose fat and build lean muscle will say .5G per pound of body weight. Anything more than that and you’re getting into elite level training diets, which I assume you’re not doing.

I’m at 230 right now, getting 115g per day while still being under my calorie goal is more than feasible. I’m dropping weight, getting stronger and looking better everyday. As I lose I’ll likely maintain my protein intake where it’s at

@pike942 I’m a woman so I focus more on calories rather than protein! Perhaps this isn’t the exact answer you’re seeking, but I usually just track what I eat on MyFitnessPal and get around 50% carbs, 25% fat, 25% protein. But I don’t stick to this religiously. Plus, might be different for men. Although, in the long run, protein isn’t the biggest deal in the world. Of course, it helps, but quite honestly, if you eat clean and continuously work your body, you’ll probably get toned. If you stay in a calorie deficit, you’ll lose weight. Unless you’re trying to be, like, a body builder or something, protein isn’t THAT big of a deal. Just try to eat it when you can 🤷🏻‍♀️

@pike942 Some things I’d try -
  • using Icy Hot or similar (off brand is fine) provides temporary relief, I used it all the time on my legs as an athlete
  • taking a cool/cold bath or shower - ice bath if you can, just submerging your legs (you can even wear a sweater/toque on your top half to make it more bearable - again used to do this all the time as an athlete). Follow with a warm shower or bath, but it’s important to do cold first
  • the walking is probably helping you to some degree; it keeps blood flow going to your muscles and re-circulates lactic acid. You’ll be more sore if you just lie on the couch all day, as counter-intuitive as it seems
  • make sure you’re taking in enough calories with a good balance of macro nutrients, as well as lots of fluids. Caloric deficits are not a friend to good recovery. Make sure you’re getting electrolytes/vitamins/minerals as well - just basic good nutrition essentially
Hope that helps! In the future, I would avoid training to failure on a regular basis as it can result in injury, especially as a newer lifter. There is a tendency to over do it among newer trainees I think, which hampers your progress in the long run as the detrimental effect on recovery can outweigh the benefits. Good luck!! Take it easy!!

@dawn16 Any advice on the nutrition aspect? I track my values on Cronometer, but I find it's hard to hit 100% in everything, and I don't usually have time to prep meals on most days because I study 8 hours a day.

@pike942 If you’re really in a lot of pain, motrin is a great over-the-counter pain medicine because it’s specifically targeted to relieve muscle pain. Obviously not a permanent fix and I wouldn’t recommend using it too often (because, yknow, addiction) but helpful for the bad cases.

@pike942 Eat a lot of healthy plant based foods. Drink a lot of water. Take turmeric extract for inflammation. Sleep well

Also: Self myofascial release and mobility work will speed up recovery

@panlyk I watched this AthleanX video as a guide:

Basically, my theory is that my back muscles are a bit more used to carrying heavier loads, whereas I've never had a real leg day in my life (the last time I did any significant number of exercises with squatting motions was my senior year of highschool, and I only did enough to barely pass the class), so the squatting motion combined with the extra weight is way outside of what my body is used to.

@pike942 99% vegan... Sigh... That's not how it works

You're on a plant based diet. If you just occasionally kill some animals, you're not living your life in a way to reduce animal suffering as much as possible.

@dawn16
99% vegan... Sigh... That's not how it works

I mean, the vast majority of my diet is vegan.

You're on a plant based diet.

Whatever.

If you just occasionally kill some animals

I'm not killing animals.

you're not living your life in a way to reduce animal suffering as much as possible.

How would you know?

Look, I'm always willing to discuss my beliefs, I used to be vegan (was vegan for over a year), I've been considering going vegan again, I'm a fairly open minded person who's willing to change his mind if he's proven wrong, I just would prefer not being insulted/treated like a horrible human being in the course of said discussion. Thanks!

You're free to DM me if you have any issues as long as you're civil. I'm not sure this is the forum to argue about such things.

@pike942 Veganism ISN'T A DIET.

Plant based is a diet.

Every vegan eats a plant based diet, every plant based dieter isn't a vegan.

I'm not trying to persuade you of anything, pointing out a fact. You're not a vegan. Don't call yourself a vegan. You misrepresent what vegans are every time you go out and have a "cheat" meal.

I know because you literally just told us that you go out and eat products that kill animals in social settings.

You don't have to, but you do. That's. Not. Vegan.