Just did 24.2. Gave it my all. Doing crossfit for 6 months. Did scaled.

@user911 Mate. Unless you are competing you should only compare you with you. It’s one of the joys of CrossFit, that you are able to measure your own improvement. Ultimately, faster, stronger, skills you didn’t previously have, a bigger engine, this improvement is what you are after isn’t it.

@user911 You gave it your all. That’s the most important thing to stick with here. Be proud of that!! If you feel like it wasn’t enough of a challenge and want to try to attempt some double unders, that’s cool too, but it’ll be a long 20 minute experience. Cool part about that though is you won’t go unrewarded as your RX score will automatically be higher than your Scaled performance. So there’s nothing to lose on that! Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

@user911 I feel you.
I’ve been doing CrossFit for about 16 months. It’s my 2nd open.

On my BEST days in my best events (deadlifts) I am still at the bottom of the leaderboard in my gym.

Even in my age group.

In the CF leaderboard last open I was 32nd percentile.

I have to remind myself that this is a leaderboard of people who do CrossFit not of everyone in the population.

In 24.1 I was over time by 15 seconds, 2 burpees short. I redid the workout and had a new time of 13:35 — a massive improvement. Still didn’t change my ranking.

24.2 is a workout made for me - at least the scaled version. I don’t have dubs but I’ve worked a lot on my singles. 95# deadlift is < 50% of my 1RM (220).

I also regularly train with my coach heavy deadlifts for volume even after doing a CrossFit class. So I’m trained to lift for volume under fatigue. I’m a decent rower.

I got 6+270 meters.

I’m going to do it again because I know I can do better and I had a bad set up and wasted a lot of time in transitions. (3:48 total in transitions).

It felt awful to see people newer to CrossFit who can’t DL as heavy as I can, get 8+ rounds scaled.

But in the end I try to focus on myself. Last year I was doing a double bounce in singles for every pass of the rope. Now on a good day I can get 50 unbroken in 30s.

How I deal with the disappointment is to keep focusing on my progress and my goals while looking to those who are doing better to see what I can learn.

I am a student of movement and technique and I ask for support on strategy.

And I try to remind myself every time that the leaderboards are people who self selected to this activity.

@bannerman Wow. Well done. Sounds like you work really hard and its going to stand to you. Yeah we can only compare ourselves to yesterday's self as I'm seeing here. But we are working harder all the time!

@user911 Yes and no. Be careful about comparing to yesterday’s self … it’s a trap.

Progress isn’t linear. And we have different bodies every day. Some days we can do things well then the next day we can’t. And that’s part of the process.

I think day to day comparisons are tricky for that reason. How are you making progress compared to 6 months or a year ago?

By the way on 24.2 here’s an update to offer perspective.

On Sunday I practiced my row technique and did several rounds of 300 M to practice pacing. I even practiced standing up at the end to work on transitions, in prep for redoing 24.2

On Monday, I couldn’t match those paces in the actual workout. Which makes sense because it’s under fatigue of the workout.

I didn’t expect that I’d make huge gains in technique in 2 days.

That said, my redo of 24.2 was much better.

I may never be the fastest or the strongest.
But I played my best game — and that’s crucial.

I went through my video from the first time, and time stamped every movement and every transition (same process I did before my redo of 24.1).

I had 3:48 in transitions. So I knew where I could cut time - that was the low hanging fruit.

On the redo, I set up my equipment more efficiently. Barbell next to the rower on the right — side I habitually get off the rower. Rope just behind the rower (it should have been next to the barbell, but lesson learned for next time).

I came out hot my 1st round but overall I rowed a bit slower.

I still had some long transitions before and after my singles, but the transitions before were more effective — a form of strategic rest. I took 4 breaths before starting and I was able to go unbroken on all rounds of singles.

The transitions from rope to row were still longer than I’d like, but that’s cardio conditioning and that’s not changing in 2 days or even much in 2 months. It’s a longer game.

The place I made up the most time was the row to deadlifts: by putting the bar right next to the rower I shaved off 5+ seconds per round just from row to bar.

I also stopped pulling the row at 285M. I let it cruise to 300 while I got a breath and unhooked my feet. Then I was able to stand at 300 and get right into the DLs.

I cut my deadlifts time by a few seconds a round (from ~0:26 to ~ 0:22) by dropping the bar after the last rep. (Unbroken on all rounds of deadlifts).

I got 7 rounds + 117M compared to 6+270.

And 2nd time was harder even though I had rested over the weekend.

Point being: I think it’s important in these workouts to
  • know the game of it. ie - Is this a cardio workout or a lifting workout?
  • know your best game
  • find a way to play your best game
For me, my best game in terms of this workout was the deadlifts. It was relatively light for me, I regularly practice lifting under fatigue, I have worked on my hook grip (key for saving forearms).

I could have deadlifted several more rounds.

My weakness was the singles and maintaining a relatively quick row pace. Also transitions.

But beyond the workout, my real best game is in the strategizing of it.

Reviewing and analyzing the workout and my performance, as well as others performances. Seeing what works and where the time goes. Seeing where the low hanging fruit is to cut time or be more efficient and effective.

Was I that much better on my 2nd time? No. I can’t say I drastically improved much of anything in 2 days.

What helped me get a better score was that I played a better strategy game.

If there was a category for that in the open I’d probably be in the top 1% instead of the bottom 25%!

@user911 The only person you should be comparing yourself to is the the you from yesterday.

Keep showing up. Stay consistent and you’ll surprise yourself with how much you’ll improve.

And again, it’s ONLY been 6 months! I’m 3 1/2 years in on CF and I completely shocked myself at what I accomplished in the open this year for both workouts! I’m no where near the top in my gym but I don’t care because I can see (and feel) the improvement in ME.

We are all so proud of you for showing up. For doing hard things. For embracing the uncomfortable. For getting better and investing in yourself. You’re worth it. Great job!