Did deadlifting... Recovery suggestions

@dawn16
Veganism ISN'T A DIET.

I was a vegan in the past. I am aware of the accepted definitions in the vegan community.

I'm not trying to persuade you of anything, pointing out a fact. You're not a vegan. Don't call yourself a vegan. You misrepresent what vegans are every time you go out and have a "cheat" meal.

Yes, you are, you're just doing it in the least effective and most annoying/rude way possible. I never said I was a vegan. I said "I'm 99% vegan." Re-read my post. When in public, I refer to myself as a vegetarian, not as a vegan. I don't see how this is relevant to literally anything though.

I know because you literally just told us that you go out and eat products that kill animals in social settings.

Except, this is based on the factually incorrect presupposition that individual consumer decisions impact the production of animal products in large market economies.

You don't have to, but you do. That's. Not. Vegan.

I. Never. Said. It. Was.

But, even if I did, the argument here would be that:

(1) I received extreme levels of harassment as a vegan. That took a tole on my mental health. I care more about my mental health than I care about the well-being of non-human animals.

(2) I suffer from mental illness. I was diagnosed with ADHD, but my sister (who has an autistic son) said she thinks I'm autistic, and misdiagnosing Autism as ADHD (especially in children) is apparently common.

As a result, I have trouble socializing with people. Being a vegan just creates an additional barrier of entry into social circles for multiple reasons (it was hard to not view non-vegans as monsters when I was a vegan, it came up every time anything involving food happened, and people often actively avoid vegans because being around vegans makes a lot of omnis feel guilty). All of this, again, takes a tole on mental health and my ability to live my life. At the end of the day, again, I care more about my well-being than I do for that of non-human animals.

@pike942 Lol all that's nice and all but this is like walking around saying "I'm %99 a pacifist, I just get in fist fights on the weekend" like, there's no such thing as "almost" not contributing to animal suffering, you either do or you don't.

Like don't use the word, it directly confuses what things are. It's why whenever I talk about the diet I specifically always use "plant based" instead, because that's what's being discussed, not veganism.

Nobody's gonna get upset that you're a plant based dieter and you have a "cheat" meal, but it's absolutely messed up to bring up veganism in the same way.

@dawn16 I don't support the murder of animals, because individual consumer decisions don't impact production under the current economic system, and I have no moral obligation to abstain if my abstention doesn't actually reduce suffering in a material way.

And no, you're free to be a jackass if you'd like, but ultimately you're just alienating people who are otherwise sympathetic to your cause. Being a jackass isn't an effective way to have a discussion, and frankly, I don't usually engage much with people who think that knowingly insulting and degrading somebody is a good way to change opinions.

@dawn16 I do, but you obviously don't.

The supply/demand curve doesn't track production to consumption on the individual level. This is why so much food waste occurs every year; it's more financially sound for the company to overproduce and waste or sell the excess stock at a discount than it is to track production to the individual unit of consumption and produce just enough, but miss a chance at increasing their margins.

Supply/demand in a market system is basically only good at tracking very large population-wide changes in consumptive habits. Without any sort of formal organization tying people together so they can intentionally influence the market (i.e. something similar in concept to a consumer union) there's no guarantee that your individual choices will have any impact whatsoever.