Do I just accept that weight loss isn't linear before I yeet the scale out the window?

annamarinewife

Hey guys,

Disclaimer; I know I am on quite a harsh deficit and am fully aware of it but since it is supervised by an advanced natural bodybuilder who knows his stuff I'm not worried, I just need insight on the weight issue. Weight loss isn't ever exceeding 1.5% of my total body weight and I'm just pointing this out in-before people comment saying this is bad for me.

So I (29M 180cm/5'10") started losing weight & hitting the gym since December 2021 (gym more consistently towards the end of 2022), starting off at 118.3kg (260lbs) I got all the way down to 89kg (196lbs) and about a month ago I decided I would just power through to get to my target goal of around 12% BF. Long story short I'm on a rather harsh deficit (that I am able to sustain and isn't actually bothering me at all) of around 1550 calories average and I would estimate my maintenance to be somewhere around 3300 (16k steps a day, 5x Gym & 3x MMA).

Now the first 2 weeks were going amazing and I dropped 1.3kg/2.85lbs a week then 1.4kg/3lbs the week after only for things to slow down by almost 50% for the following 2 weeks, having lost 0.7kg/1.55lbs and then 0.8kg/1.75lbs for weeks 3 & 4.

I'm slightly surprised and somewhat disappointed comparing weeks 3 & 4 to the first two weeks and now I'm not entirely sure if perhaps the first two weeks just had a lot of water weight or if perhaps I am just forgetting that during a cut weight loss isn't linear and that sometimes it's more staggered and I'm just slightly on edge because the numbers aren't budging as well as they were in the first two weeks.

Any advice, support & insight would be appreciated.

Edit: This is based on comparing weekly averages of daily weighings. Also this diet phase comes after a long 2 month diet break being upon maintenance!

@annamarinewife You’re still losing quite a bit of weight. But as you say, it’s not linear and you likely dropped a lot of water weight at the start.

I’m still going to say it- unless you’re in the final throes of comp prep, eating 1550 cals at your size is super unnecessary and likely counterproductive.

@dawn16 Okay I see what you mean, I honestly wouldn't have gone on this endeavour if it wasn't for the fact that I've been accurately tracking calories well for the past 2 years + felt like the quantity of food I was eating (proportion wise) was the same at 2300 as it would be at 1600 if I simply opted for better choices because I was getting a bit too flexible but thank you so much for taking the time to respond and for your insight!

@annamarinewife I’m a similar size to you, (5’8 sitting at around 185lbs) and 1800 cals a day is a pretty intense deficit for me that usually results in me losing about 2lbs a week, which is the most I like to lose. Even on that, I’ll usually allow myself a cheat day or two where I’ll eat 2400 or so.

Consistently staying at only 1500 will likely start to wear on you, or limit your ability to build more muscle at some point.

@annamarinewife Weight loss/gain is totally not linear. I've went through this as well with my bulk. Make gradual adjustments to your calories over time. Don't expect instant results. My weight just jumped +1 lb week to week, which is a bit too high for my liking (my target is more like +0.6 lbs/week). After my bulk stalled/slowed down for awhile before then. So now I may have to actually adjust down my calories a bit.

@annamarinewife Your first 2/3 weeks of losing weight consist of a lot of water weight. The weight you're dropping after that is the weight you're actually trying to lose. Next to that, be careful with the deficit like some other commenters have said. However, theoretically you will come to a point where this deficit will no longer be a deficit but a maintenance level. Idk how big you are but at that point it might be a good moment to go on a bulk. Having more muscle increases your BMR making future cuts easier.

Good job on the weight loss btw, I know how much work it takes to change your life around like that.

@heartnsoul19 Thank you so much for your comments and for your encouragement I appreciate it! I guess I’ll monitor and see perhaps it’s either a weight loss plateau or I’m actually a lot closer to maintenance than presumed.

@annamarinewife Speaking of a deficit becoming maintenance, don’t forget to take into account changes in NEAT. For some people it’s extremely variable depending on the size of their caloric surplus or deficit. For myself, my body gets jittery in a surplus and I’m constantly moving subconsciously, even when just sitting at a desk. I’m also much more likely to want to do physical chores, take the stairs, walk faster, do more active things for fun, etc.

In a deficit my body gets very still. Subconscious fidgeting disappears. I have lower energy for everything and I tend to become a couch potato outside of my exercise program.

It doesn’t sound like much, but my automatic changes in NEAT can completely overcome a 500 calorie surplus or deficit. I’ve learned to watch for it and try to compensate by deliberately adjusting my activity level, but I also have to aim for bigger surpluses or deficits to actually bulk or cut than my calculated TDEE would suggest - because the fact of the bulk or cut changes my TDEE.

@annamarinewife Water weight is lost first. Plus, your body is a marvelous self-regulating machine and is adapting to your severe deficit by reducing its energy expenditure to match your low caloric intake.

@annamarinewife Take into account the weekly trend, not individual days. So if you’re average weight of a given week is higher than the previous weeks average, you’re likely in a surplus, if the same then it’s maintenance, if less then it’s a deficit.

@annamarinewife Your maintenance sounds high to me, the actual data of 0.75kg avg for the last two weeks would indicate that your actual deficit is 825 kcal per day. You might have simply overestimated your maintenance or as you ate in a large deficit you are no longer able to perform exercise at the same intensity and/or your body severely down regulated your NEAT.

@lisa66uk I’m guessing it’s probably the latter if it’s not a lengthier weight loss plateau, reason why I suspect it may be my body severely down regulating NEAT as you’ve said is because my step count was increased after week 2 so even though I’ve increased the step count in week 3 & 4 I’ve lost less weight. Maybe I’m being too lazy during the day despite getting my steps in.

Back