Does anybody else have a certain weight that they get stuck on and it's so hard to break below? How do I get past it?

@yommie Are you measuring or just weighing yourself?

If not, why? Measurements are way more indicative of progress than weight.

I'll also add, as a 41yo woman myself, heavy weightlifting is the best thing ever. I was never one for cardio to begin with, nor have I ever been overweight. But that's what is going to give you toned legs - at our age, muscle doesn't stick around easily. It will also increase your weight. This is why switching your approach to measuring your goals might be your key here.

@zumbalicious Definitely agree. My weight just fluctuates back and forth every week the same 5 lbs up and down, but I’ve lost a couple of inches on my waist and hips at least. If I hadn’t measured I would’ve thought I was stuck at a plateau also.

@yommie It could be hormonal. As we age and inch closer to menopause - or when there is a hormone disruption due to an autoimmune disease or to a full hysterectomy (meaning instant menopause) - our hormones just whack the hell out and it can be all but impossible to lose a little bit of weight. Our bodies won’t respond to CICO and eating below TDEE and there’s not really much to do about it. I’m not saying that’s necessarily what’s going on with you, but don’t discount the possibility. And your weight is pretty low already, depending on your height. As a 40 year old with surgical menopause, I feel you. Good luck.

@popikie Menopausal bodies do respond to CICO because CICO is basic physics and menopause does not subvert that.

Signed, someone who lost 110lbs while menopausal.

@manihanery Congrats to you. I don’t have 110 to lose. I have like, 5. And it’s much much harder than it was pre menopause. I also know about 15 other people just in my circle of friends who are having similar struggles. I’ve been doing CICO for 10 years and was always successful till my hysterectomy. Now nothing works. Every body is different. I was merely offering her another possibility of what is going on.

@popikie I needed to hear this, I'm perimenopausal and I am going crazy because losing weight is so much harder no matter what I do and I have been really hard on myself for "failing", so thanks for the reality check!

@popikie Those "last 5 pounds" are hard for everyone to lose, not just menopausal women, because there's a much smaller margin of error and a few extra drinks or a cookie here and there can erase the defecit you need

all but impossible to lose a little bit of weight. Our bodies won’t respond to CICO and eating below TDEE and there’s not really much to do about it

oit's not impossible to lose weight while menopausal, the slight effect that it has on one's TDEE does not outweigh the fact that if you eat less than you burn. We aren't helpless or at the complete mercy of our hormones and the idea that post menopause you just have to give in and will never lose weight is flat out wrong and frankly, quite insulting. I'm sorry you feel like you have so little control but it's not scientifically accurate.

@manihanery I understand why you think I come off that way. I’m actually super pro science. I don’t understand why this particular science hasn’t been effective for my body since my hysterectomy but it hasn’t. Everyone’s hormonal responses are different and this is what mine do. It is what it is. I hope you don’t ever experience it. Have a nice day.

@yommie I guess I wonder where 59kg being your "ideal" weight comes from and around what your expectations are about the difference the scale saying 59 rather than 61. Obviously I don't have lots of info here but there's something in your post the raises a flag for me around how helpful mentally your attention to thoese last 2 kilos are and how it helps you reach your goals in terms of keeping your body healthy, given that you say you maintain a good diet and have a really great routine in terms of physical activity (so it sounds like you're doing a pretty good job at that already). I also wonder what your expectations are around how you'll feel when those two kilos are gone? I think with weight loss there can be a tendency to think that it'll make everything so much better, but that's generally not realisitic.

That said, I also totally relate to the frustration of having a barrier your body won't seem to get below on the scale! I suppose I am bringing my own personal experience to bear here, which is that being overly focused on the numbers on the scale hasn't really helped me be more healthy (mentally and physically) over the years.

You mentioned looking for more toned legs in the comments, seems like a shift towards more heavy lifting might be another way to make progress towards that goal?

@sammy2244 I get how my post makes it sound like I’m a bit obsessed with the scales and the magic number. I’m really not. Honestly 59 is not my magic number, it’s more how I feel and look at my current weight, I just kind feel like shedding another 1-2 kilos is where I want to be. I’ve also been a runner for years so I know my weight has a direct relationship with my running times and how I feel during a run. Running is so important to me as it’s my mental health space where I go to de-stress.

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it.

@sammy2244 I hope this becomes the top post and not one that is currently inspired by eating disorder blogs. lol.

It's 2 kilos!! It doesn't matter. You look great. 2 kilos less and you're gonna feel the exact same. You're doing a good job.

@nievellecruz Yeah I'm currently doing the weight-loss-while-lifting thing, and I just lost an inch off my waist.... but I weigh 10 lbs more than I did when my waist was last at this size! Having an arbitrary, rigid goal weight is so counter-productive.