Does anybody else have a certain weight that they get stuck on and it's so hard to break below? How do I get past it?

@yommie There are two things here, in my opinion.
  1. Our body have a setting point, a certain amount of weight/body fat they are happy with. The body will always try to come back there, and it can take years to change the setting point.
  2. The less fat you have, the harder it is to lose the weight : your body is smaller, so it needs less calories, and moreover it will try to preserve itself and inconciously you will move less or eat a bit more.
It is up to you wether you are happy enough at 61, or you want to take the extra step and be more rigourous with the calories you eat, going for a couple of walks during the week, etc. Also, mantaining could be difficult.. Not saying this to discourage you!

Unrelated : I would switch the cardio/weights day and prioritize weights to cardio. But this is unrelated to the weight loss!

@tetragrammon U/popozza is spot on. Your body has a natural weight it will tenaciously try to maintain, and all your hormones and activity levels push it towards this weight. Check out what Lyle McDonald writes about it.

I also agree that consciously doing a slow bulk may be the way to go - for this you would eat a few hundred calories more every day for a few months, based on calculating your tdee and then tracking, and lifting heavy three or so times a week. Different approaches work for different people so you can see how it goes and how it works for you, but having more muscle on your frame may take care of the metabolism setpoint (im just going to call it this, lol) and generally leave you feeling better about your body. You can then lose a few extra kg if you want to. You may actually be 'heavier' but notice your clothes fit differently etc.

@tetragrammon I’m not unhappy at 61, I’m comfortable with most parts of my body...its just something that’s annoying me now and I need to see if I can do it. Basically when I shed weight, it all comes off from the waist up first (including my boobs sadly). Like I have very defined arms/shoulders and visible abs but I desperately want my legs more toned. I think you’re right about switching cardio and weights - I’m gonna try it. Thanks!

@yommie Yes, I was stuck on a certain way and no amount of extra workouts fixed it (I even worked out 5-6 time a week for 6 weeks).
What helped me was to change my diet to 8-16 fasting. It took a few weeks but there is a significant change :)

@yommie You need to monitor your diet strictly. It's possible that even though you eat clean, you're eating more calories than you need to lose weight. Weigh everything!

@yommie This might not work and I’m not even sure if this is a good idea but it has worked for me MANY times.

If I want to break a plateau, I do one or two, sometimes three days of eating WAY over my calorie limit or WAY below. I don’t know why this works for me, maybe it’s a shock or jump start to the system?

Edit: I just want to add that this is actually something I learned during my eating disorder phase from an eating disorder blog so I don’t know if repeatedly doing it is safe, please research or ask a professional xx

@dawn16 Here's a really good article that explains it: https://legionathletics.com/water-retention/

Basically, being in a prolonged calorie deficit stresses your body out, thus raising the hormone cortisol. Cortisol causes water retention. When you have a big feast, your body stops freaking out and releases some of that water weight, resulting in a sudden 'whoosh' of loss on the scale.

@dawn16 This is so weird, I noticed the same thing. I was stuck at 145 for like 3 weeks and then just was like whatever ate deep dish pizza one day and a cheese burger the next. Just like completely relaxed my diet for a weekend and gained a few pounds, then when I went back to my normal routine I started to dip below 145. I've done the same thing with fasting to.

@dawn16 This works for me too, but I'm almost fully convinced it's because my days of surplus give my bowel movements extra quantity to help push out a particularly large movement. Idk. Just seems to be my experience!

@dawn16 So do you do the 10% surplus and then 10% decrease the day after? Or just a random few days of 10% higher / 10% lower? Interested in this cos I know refeeds do work but have never been able to apply it properly!

@dawn16 I discovered this "trick" inadvertently one day when I went food-happy and went over my limit. I've tried it a few times since then and it's worked every time to get me out of my plateau. I don't go too much over though. My average daily intake is 1200 calories, so one day I might do 1600 and then 800 the next day.

@karen01 Not to pry too much, but 1200/day seems really low. Are you fairly inactive, or very short? Just curious and you totally don't have to answer, but i hope you're feeling satiated and strong/healthy! I'm 5'3 and my maintenance is around 1700/day even when I just sit at my desk.

@dawn16 Just throwing my two cents in here. Two years ago I started my fitness journey and I somehow came to the conclusion that I needed 1200 myself.

I'm 5 foot 8 and was fairly active at the time, I just about died lol

three days of that I said fuck this, re-researched, and started using a TDEE sheet. I ended up losing weight very consistently at ~1800 calories without feeling like death, and using the sheet helped me get to where I am these days honestly.

(here's the one I used )

@dawn16 Haha yes im short! I'm 5'0 and eating at a slight deficit for weight loss. I'm definitely satiated and paying attention to my macros and focused on eating mostly whole foods.