Feeling like I don't look like I workout

@dawn16 I’m 25! I forgot to add that haha yah I’ve actually really only recently upped my calories to 2200 about a month ago from 1800/2000 and I’m actually the same exact weight.. so you could be right

@hendricks62 Yeah, I think you may be a bit low. This TDEE calculator would put your maintenance at 2439 even if your exercise is 'moderate', and it seems like it's actually more on the heavy side, which would be a 2715 maintenance! Of course everyone's body is different and you may have a lower maintenance. But you might be in a sustained calorie deficit which could affect muscle growth even though you are getting a good amount of protein.

@dawn16 Honestly I think you could be totally right... my Apple Watch says my maintenance is like 2600 but I didn't think it was accurate because it seemed so high!

@hendricks62 I'm your height and weight. I'm not currently training at this level - But when lifting and climbing were a big focus, I was eating 2400 on rest days and around 3k plus on active days. I didn't go for hypertrophy and so wasn't doing body building. But biking, lifting, and climbing - I was able to make power gains through proper fueling (and rest and hydration). And subsequently I saw some of my proportions change.

I would also look at your program and seeing if there's any changes to be made there. One of the things I've learned both with lifting and climbing is "minimum effective dose" training. Instead of grinding on volume or 5x5 (i'm making assumptions, but that's a common thing I've seen) 6 days a week, really going for an autoregulated (RPE) program that doesn't push you to breaking point and allows for adequate rest can help both with appearance changes and power gains.

If you still feel stuck, you might also want to look at a trainer to help modify your routine to help you meet your goals.

All of that being said. "Looking like you work out" is a very subjective thing. I find that many folks who work out feel like they don't look like they do, but their movements, how clothes fit them, what's soft and what's not say otherwise. We are our harshest critics.

@hendricks62 Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I'm 5'9", 160lbs, low body fat, and I'm quite strong but it doesn't really show. I look skinny and very typical build for a woman my height until I flex, then some men have complained my biceps look bigger than their's do. So idk, maybe because we are tall / long limbed the muscle is more dispersed and not as noticeable? I overpower grown men at my job who are trying to steal and attempt to get away, so I know I'm an Amazon warrior even if I don't look like it.

@hendricks62 So you have tons of good advice so I'll just lament with you:

I'm 5'3", 160lbs. I definitely have fat to lose and don't look that strong. But precorona I was lifting heavy 4x/week, and doing interval sprints regularly. (Now it's like 3x/week resistance band stuff). I'm slowly working on bringing my weight down, but I'm really enjoying taking my time, and allowing myself to eat fun things.

It's hard to shake the misconception that looks=health, and we have to remind ourselves every time we start to body check in the mirror that we are healthy, and stronger than we were when we started.

Good luck and remember you are strong and badass!

@hendricks62 if i got my ohp up to 95 and i didnt look different tbh i would be a bit upset too, but you can be better than me and revel in the fact that you FUCKING CRUSH. THAT IS AMAZING.

@hendricks62 All the time. A friend of mine put it nicely: I have a very “feminine” figure and look. I was literally complaining that I don’t look like I work out at all!!

I can bench 100 lbs, 3 sets of 10, I run (though not as often as I like), I can squat nearly my own body weight. But visible muscles? Nope.

Part of it, I think, is that I struggle a lot with food, and so I struggle with any kind of weight loss. But, also part of it is that I do have a very feminine figure, so... who knows if I can have visible muscles?? 🤷🏻‍♀️

@hendricks62 If you workout, then you have a body that looks like it works out! I'm sure if someone saw me on the street, they'd be like, "this lady eats a lot of burritos" which is true. But this body can also do a lot of pushups and ski and stuff. Instagram bodies aren't the only bodies that workout.

@hendricks62 Haha oh yeah. I've worked out consistently for 7 years and I eat pretty dang healthy and I have only looked jacked once, for a few months, before I got pregnant.

@hendricks62 I learned the hard way that you can’t exercise your way out of a bad diet.

I’ve always been active, cardio is my favorite... but with that comes a tremendous appetite. I wasn’t unfit by any means... but I definitely had areas of improvement. Worse yet, women who did less than me at the gym had more to show for, ironically. It was super frustrating, but it taught me that I’m the type of person that needs to reign in the amount of activity I do, my intake, or both.

Thing is, working out keeps me mentally sane. Still trying to come to the perfect balance between cardio and weight loss.

@hendricks62 What other things can make you look like you workout outside of incredibly lean ripped muscles body oil and strategic lighting? (Cause that’s a lot of what we see)

Posture! The way you walk. The strength with which you glide through the day. I guarantee you look fit from a distance just based on your kinesthetics.

Having specific aesthetic goals is really different from being fit and there’s a whole other full time level of activity and brain power that goes in that direction. Try thinking of some non aesthetic ways you look like you work out and take pride in them.

For example, I basically didn’t workout all November and it hurt my to SIT. I overstretched my hip trying to get at a splinter and it’s been fucky for a week now. My neck cracks constantly because my muscle imbalance is so pronounced. But if I start working out daily even 20 minutes most of those issues are gone in the space of a few days.

@hendricks62 I feel you there. I've been lifting for almost a decade and only now do I feel like I look like I lift. Other people tell me I look strong, but I didn't see it.

We tend to be our hardest critics. It sounds like you're on the right track.

@hendricks62 To look like you workout requires muscle mass. Like i thought I didn't feel like I looked like I worked out either as i was doing HIIT 4x a week, but i wasn't doing any hypertrophy, progressive overload lifting. It wasn't until i started doing less cardio,and more heavy weight lifting, and eating in a surplus of 24000 calories a day that I started to see strength gainz go up and muscles grown (progress pics & measurements) .

Yes you have muscles fibers can lift heavy stuff, but the muscle mass may not be there or there is a layer of fat between your skin and muscle that is tampering the muscle definition. To build muscle, you need a surplus in calories- protein and carbs, If you want to build muscle you should be eating 0.8 - 1 g of protein/body weight so minimum of 150 g of protein. and at least 200g of carbs. I would suggest following Laurie Christine King and Joelle Samantha on instagram - they have some awesome infographics on evidence based nutrition and workouts.