Finally happy with my body and diet and I’m clinically overweight

judenshabbot

Female, 28, 5’4”, 141 lbs. I’m disheartened. I dealt with issues with eating and maintaining my weight healthily for years, and only in the past 3 years have had a completely solid track record of eating healthy, balanced meals, working out consistently, and feeling fantastic about my appearance. But the one lingering issue has always been the scale, so I’ve been doing blind weigh-ins basically only once a year. This year, however, I decided to look.
And I’m overweight. Not by much, but I am. Everything I ever dreaded and feared. And it’s funny because I actually do like how I look, although I have been prioritizing lifting weights the past month more than cardio because I could use a tone up/fat loss, but I’ve barely even thought about losing weight for the past three years. And now I need to lose weight. For my health. The same reason I had to gain weight. And I’m terrified. I don’t want to spiral again, for one. But also disappointed in myself, because I’ve proven that I will never not need help regulating my diet. I hopes I had moved beyond that, and was doing a good job eating intuitively.

Here is how I presently look. I’m disheartened. I dealt with issues with eating and maintaining my weight healthily for years, and only in the past 3 years have had a completely solid track record of eating healthy, balanced meals, working out consistently, and feeling fantastic about my appearance. But the one lingering issue has always been the scale, so I’ve been doing blind weigh-ins basically only once a year. This year, however, I decided to look.

And I’m overweight. Not by much, but I am. Everything I ever dreaded and feared. And it’s funny because I actually do like how I look, although I have been prioritizing lifting weights the past month more than cardio because I could use a tone up/fat loss, but I’ve barely even thought about losing weight for the past three years. And now I need to lose weight. For my health. The same reason I had to gain weight. And I’m terrified. I don’t want to spiral again, for one. But also disappointed in myself, because I’ve proven that I will never not need help regulating my diet. I hopes I had moved beyond that, and was doing a good job eating intuitively.

@nicholas55 I do like how I look, though. And yes I have some baggage with the scale number. Pretty heavy, too, which I work on with my therapist. But I don’t restrict or binge or overexercise anymore, which I am so proud of. But the scale terrifies me

@judenshabbot
But the scale terrifies me

Why do you look at it then?

A scale is a tool. Why use a tool that causes you harm rather than actually helps you? Wouldn't you rather focus on other tools at your disposal? (Your health, the way you feel, hell even the mirror if you're saying you like how you look).

@judenshabbot
I’ve actually looked at it in years (at the docs office).

You can tell your doctor or nurse that looking at the scale isn't mentally healthy for you and would prefer to either not be weighed or be weighed by stepping on the scale backwards. Don't feel silly asking for that request--a lot of people do it and most if not all doctors should be respectful of the preference and understand where it's coming from. If it isn't helpful to your mental health I would just avoid it consistently.

@judenshabbot Hmm I've never been forced to look at my chart. But I mean if you saw it once, then I would just make peace with it. As everyone else has said you're not even overweight by Bmi standards, and BMI is, again, another tool that may be completely irrelevant to your needs

@judenshabbot
knowing that number is out there.

It's not your long lost brother 🥲 It's just a measurement. Aka not a big deal. You don't base your self worth on your height or shoe size I presume. Like I said, you gotta just learn to make peace with it. I don't think that the weight on the scale is always irrelevant or that it should be ignored. But that's on a case by case basis. At your weight, your body composition, your overall health, you don't need it.

@judenshabbot DAMN you look fantastic. Before losing weight, go to a doctor. I wonder if your workouts contributed to muscle gain? You look pretty skinny and healthy already. Please don't lose any weight before seeing a professional!!!