I finally achieved the muscle up at age 38. It’s never too late!

@graciet How active were you in your youth? As a 28 year old who has little to no base muscle and wants to be able to do one before im 30, im having a hard time developing the motivation with the idea that I never developed a base in my teens so im capped

@jpigeonrn Don’t make the same mistake I did and wait until your late 30s. I wasn’t very active when I was younger and always on the scrawny side. I just thought I didn’t have the genetics to get muscular, but turns out I just wasn’t putting in the effort.
In 2019 I was pushing 37 and 145lbs (my lowest weight) and decided I wanted to get “buff” at least once in my life. I learned my work had a gym, though woefully lacking in any strength training equipment, but it was a start and I started to see some newbie gains. Then Covid hit and it closed so I got some rings for home.

Since then I’ve built a ton of muscle and strength. People I haven’t seen in a year are surprised by how different I look! I’m healthier, stronger, and happier than I’ve ever been. I only wish I had started earlier now that I know my false thinking was the only thing holding me back. But no time like the present!

@graciet This is me. I wanna get buff/ripped to see what my body is capable of for at least a small portion of my life. I figure I should do it now before I’m 30, but I almost feel it is too late…

I’ll give it a go. Commitment will be hard but.. I’ll give it a go

@jpigeonrn See I thought 36 was too late and I was totally wrong. I look way better than I ever did in my 20s or early 30s.
It gets easier to stay committed once you find your groove. Plus you’ll start to look awesome and that is great motivation to continue. Newbie gains are the best so it’ll only take 3 months or so to see a big difference.

@graciet Congrats man, I managed my first one a couple weeks ago at age 33. I suspect I had enough strength to do it for a while but all the pieces need to click first. On to the next challenge!!

@cybrlands Thanks and congrats to you too! I definitely had the strength for awhile too but the transition was eluding me. The assistance band really helped me train the transition and then yesterday boom!

@graciet Thank you for reminding me and us all that it is never too late and that we can do what we set our heart into, not being sixteen does not mean you can't get in the best shape of your life!

You are a prime example of that!

Cheers to you! This post made me smile so much :)

@graciet Congrats!!

I'm 34 and I just purchased a free-standing pull-up bar to start training (with rings!). I've always dreamed of doing a bar muscle up. Can do about 8 pullups with good technique. Long way to go but this helps keep me motivated!