Fitness is a bit lonely

rang

I am loving my petite fitness journey. I’ve got graphs tracking my weight and body fat %. I joined this subreddit (which has been so helpful)! I’m stronger and starting to see results in my monthly progress picture. My mental health is great, and I really enjoy not drinking. Also, getting 8-9 hours of sleep is glorious!

I workout from my garage gym at home, which I think is great. I am not sure if I would get all my workouts in if I had to drive there just because I could excuse it away easier. But I don’t have friends I go to the gym with or anything.

However, sometimes I feel a bit isolated? The people I would typically hang out with like to stay up late and drink. I’m not pretentious or a saint. I’ll go out and partake, but I can have about half a drink before I get buzzed and sleepy. And I hate the way I feel the next day when I don’t get enough sleep or hungover after one drink.

Sometimes I feel “boring” or self conscious that I’m not “fun” anymore. I’m recomping my self, and I am absolutely loving finally taking care of myself. But I also feel like it’s recomping my friends. Except I haven’t found the new ones yet.

Anyway, I enjoy this subreddit (when it’s not ED content) and really like this community! I’m curious if anyone else has felt this way or gone through this? I’m not saying I’m friends with a bunch of alcoholics or anything. I feel like I’m changing a lot for my betterment, but now I feel harder to relate to.

@rang You’re not alone. But I would rather achieve my goals than do things that are popular which aren’t conducive to my goals merely to “fit in”. Just shows people really don’t know what goes on behind the scenes to gain muscle/strength

@zastari I agree completely. I’m doing what I want and what I need to do to prioritize myself after spending most of my life prioritizing others. I just need to find my people!

@rang As your older sister, i’ll tell you one thing that’s true throughout life. Personal growth is lonely. Any time you decide to up level your life, albeit, health, career, healing your trauma, pursuing your dreams, you will be taking a lonelier path. I promise you it’s worth it. Not only will it create a stronger sense of self-love and self-worth, but it will open the doors to finding new people who can meet you where you are now and inspire you to grow. It’s brave to choose to evolve. I applaud you. Most don’t have the courage to face the one person getting in their way - themselves.

@intermediary « Personal growth is lonely » damn, take this poor girl medal 🏅 because that is so true. And it is so worth it! It’s true for my colleague brave enough to go back to school at 35, for my friend who was a teen mom, for my friend who moved across the world from her family. In all aspects it’s lonely but it makes you so much stronger

@intermediary I feel this. I “cleaned up” socially after I got into therapy, meaning I had to let go of some “friendships” that were not good for me. It was hard. I think I just wasn’t anticipating going through a similar experience while getting fit. Thank you for your kind words 💙

@rang You got this. I quit drinking a year ago for my hormone health and that changed everything. Therapy is another doozie that will expose relationships making more withdrawals than deposits. Making more money will change things too. You’re prepared. Remember the universe will never give you more than you’re ready for. You got this! 💪🏼