Garage gyms; winter cold

mutgr

Anybody else working out in their garage gym this season? My garage is detached and its 0 degrees F outside. Had to bring my barbells inside to warm them up before starting, even fingerless gloves had me losing sensation in the tips. Good thing I picked up a working set of Rogue bumper plates so I don't have to grab the cold hard iron as much. Every rep I can see my breath lol.

@mutgr I work out in my garage. House is old and has no insulation. I’ll turn on a space heater about 6-8 hours before I work out. Usually takes it from about 30 degrees to 45-ish. Electricity bill goes up about $50 a month during the winter, but I have a ductless in the house I run as well as single pane windows.

@mutgr Yes. I built a wooden shed around my Rogue lifting cage. Even if isolated and double walled it had -4,5 degree Celcius in there last time. I have a little electric heater which helps. Also use gloves to touch the bar because it doesn't feel good when ice cold. Have to improve isolation in the summer.

@mutgr Yeah i live somewhere where it is regularly below freezing and have a detached garage with my equipment in it. After the first year of giving up when it got to -10, i now train in a local gym from about november to february, as i find below 20f to be intolerable for training after a week or 2. Its a nice change of pace honestly.

@mutgr Uninsulated garage in Upstate NY. Single digit temps here recently. Good underlayers, multiple layers, and thick gloves while sipping on a warm beverage.

Just use straps because you can’t hold anything with winter gloves.

But I am mid rennovation to completely change my basement space into a private training studio and office/treatment space.

@mutgr I put a ductless minisplit in. It doesn't get that cold here, and I'm OK down to 20f or so, but man it helps in the summer. In the winter I'll put it in the lowest setting for heat, Garage is leaky so it'll sit around 55. I'm still sweating after 15 mins so that's good for me

Back