Glute Training With Calisthenics: A Guide to Hip Strength

raykay

Intro

Most of this glute training advice comes from the Glute Lab by Brett Contreras. It is a great 500+ page book and goes into much more depth than this post does. I may revise this guide later as I let the information settle in my brain.

Link to Book: https://www.amazon.com/Glute-Lab-Ar...=1678755617&sprefix=glute+lab+,aps,576&sr=8-1

The glutes are perhaps the least intuitive of all the muscles to train with calisthenics. For that reason, this guide has taken me longer to write than the others. There are a few challenges of training the glutes and: they are very strong, they benefit from a large range of motion, and many bodyweight posterior chain exercises tend to have resistance curves that fluctuate greatly. I've done my best to address those challenges.

The glutes are such strong muscles that external load is a necessity to continue to progress. You'll at least need heavy bands and hip bands, if not other options like kettlebells/dumbbells, sandbags, or barbells. But in the beginner/intermediate stages you can get away with minimal equipment while you build up your hip stability.

Renaissance Periodization Glutes Guide: https://rpstrength.com/glute-training-tips-hypertrophy/

Heavy Resistance Bands & Hip Bands

The muscles of your posterior chain are extremely strong. Heavy (45lb/20 kg+) resistance bands and moderate-to-strong hip bands are essential to maximizing your results. Many of these exercises have resistance curves that fluctuate greatly throughout the exercise, and bands can help mitigate that. Additionally, the load of your bodyweight alone can only do so much, especially in the case of the hip musculature.
  • Foot Plate for more anchoring options
  • Band footplate platform, no need to stand directly on the band and provides a lot more options of using band resistance.
  • DIY Options
COMBINE ALL THE STUFF YOU LEARNED FROM "THE GLUTE BOOK"

Key Principles
  1. Range of Motion: Best results require you to put the glutes through a large range of motion. Pause at the bottom and top to maintain control. Work up to this over time, but be gradual.
  2. Fatigue & Volume: The muscles of the hip are accustomed to carrying your body around all day. They can (generally) handle a greater training volume than the muscles of your upper body. Volume can make a major difference in glute training results, particularly with bodyweight variations.
    1. You can still develop glute hypertrophy with sets of 20+ repetitions, as made evident by tried and true hypertrophy programs such as the 20 rep squat program
    2. However, consistent muscle gain requires you to still be training at a high enough intensity to bring the glute muscles close to failure.
    3. Consult the Renaissance Periodization article above for more information on this.
  3. Loading The hip muscles are very powerful and it is highly recommended to add external load to keep progressing in strength and hypertrophy. This can also be a way to get stronger on intermediate progressions as you work towards more advanced movements.
    1. Calisthenics without any additional load is not going sufficient to maximize hip strength and power. Eventually, additional load must be incorporated for continued strength gains.
    2. As shown here, advanced single leg squat movements like the pistol squat are only lifting about 88.5% of your body mass: https://exrx.net/WeightTraining/Bodyweight
      1. While this sounds impressive, the equivalent of a 1.8x bodyweight squat falls in the range of intermediate leg strength. Thankfully, with unilateral leg presses, the use of external resistance can offset this.
      2. Advanced trainees can lift an impressive amount of additional load with unilateral variations like the split squat: https://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/bulgarian-split-squat
      3. https://exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/SquatStandards
      4. https://exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/SquatStandardsKg

Tools for Leg Training​

Resistance Bands
  • Use resistance bands to improve the resistance curve and as a convenient and portable way to add load. Many bodyweight exercises are much less challenging at the top, so a band is a useful tool. If possible, use in combination with other methods.
    • Foot Plate for more anchoring options
      • Using a band footplate platform means there is no need to stand directly on the band and provides a lot more options for using band resistance.
      • DIY Options
  • Hip Bands
    • Hip bands, AKA booty bands or mini-bands, as smaller resistance bands designed for training the lower body, especially the glutes. They can be used in most glute exercises (especially isolation ones and hip thrusts) and will make a massive difference in your results. If you have trouble feeling your glutes, hip bands can often help them activate more intensely.
    • Generally, you load the bands at the knees, so you are forced to abduct your hips outward. You can use hip bands in conjunction with standard resistance bands for almost all exercises.
  • Pro Tip: Double-Looping Bands and Doubling Up on Bands
    • You can increase resistance of a standard resistance band by double looping it into an x-shape, or anchoring on the outside of a resistance band so both sides are resisting you, instead of just one. Additionally, you can use two bands at the same time to increase total resistance, so that's a good way to mix and match if you have bands of several strengths.
Weight Vests
  • Weight vests are excellent as they do not have to be held, and the weight is very close to your center of gravity. Try to get a vest that has incremental weights for changing load. I recommend getting a vest with a max weight of at least 16 kg/35 lbs.
  • The main drawback of vests is that they are not very heavy. However, this can be addressed by pairing the weight vest with other methods of adding load, particularly resistance bands. I strongly recommend combining these two to get the benefits of both.
Kettlebells & Dumbells

Useful for incrementally progressing weight, can hold 1 or 2 for more options in loading. I already have an in-depth post about kettlebells.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweight.../a_guide_to_kettlebells_for_the_calisthenics/
Sandbags

One of your heaviest loading options, the sandbag is often preferable to a barbell because the sandbag is not a rigid shape, allowing it to conform to your body more comfortably during calisthenics exercises. I have already made an in-depth post related to sandbags, consult that for information. https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweight...dbag_training_an_alternative_to_free_weights/

Barbells/Gym

Barbell exercises with a significant hip hinge, such as deadlift and good morning variations, train the posterior chain of the body, including the glutes and hamstrings. Additionally, I'd recommend some glute isolation exercises such as barbell hip thrusts and some of the options listed below for the medius/minimus. Besides hip hinging, the hamstrings will also need to be trained with some sort of curling isolation exercise.

Exercises​

Hip Thrust Progressions

The essential glute-building exercise, invented by Brett Contreras. I strongly recommend using a combination of resistance bands, hip bands, and external loads (kettlebell, dumbell, sandbag, etc.) to increase difficulty. Band resistance is extra useful because the peak contraction of the glutes is at full hip extension, when the band tension will be highest. If you do no other glute exercise, at least train the hip thrust.
Single Leg DL Progressions

The single leg deadlift (or single leg RDL), is interesting, with bodyweight it's quite easy beyond the beginner level, but with heavy bands it becomes a dependable unilateral glute training exercise. The tension of the bands is highest at the top, where the leverage is easiest, making the single leg DL much more stimulating overall. Make sure to grip the bands at a point where you are still getting sufficent tension at the bottom, and a strong glute contraction at the top. Bands can also be attached to other forms of weight like barbells, dumbells, sandbags, etc.

NOTE: If you have a weight vest and bands, you can still get some challenge at the bottom of the movement from the weight vest, it feels a bit odd but is effective if you match the weight vest and band strength well. This is a good option for people without other options for adding load, I used it for months during the pandemic lockdown.

I consider hip thrusts to be better at isolating and heavily stimulating the glutes, but single leg DLs are a close runner-up. Additionally, the single leg DL has the advantage of also targetting other muscle groups like the hamstrings, low back, and trunk more than the hip thrust does. So if you're constrained on time or need an exercise that hits multiple muscle groups effectively, single leg DL wins out over hip thrusts.
Glute-Dominant Lower Body Movements

Moderate intensity lower body movements that emphasize the glutes. Useful as accessory work for the main glute movements. These are generally secondary exercises after hip thrusts and/or single leg DLs. Pressing variations generally work the quads as well as the glutes, while pulling variations generally work the hamstrings and low back as well as the glutes. Trunk variations work the core significantly.

Pressing

Glute-Emphasis Split Squat
  • Instead of an upright posture, maintain a forward leaning posture (30-45 degrees) for the entire exercise. Shift load away from the quads and knee onto the hips and glutes. Focus on a strong hip extension at the top. Slow and controlled lowering as you stretch the glute under load. Usually there will not be much knee flexion compared to a normal split squat.
  • https://youtu.be/JLEyaXRMv8o
Glute-Emphasis Deep Step Up
  • 30-45 degree lean, load additional weight to the side or rear of your body if possible. Again, the slow deliberate lowering is crucial. https://youtu.be/X_oNQX4srHc
Glute-Emphasis Reverse Lunge
  • A lunge variation with a deep glute stretch. Keep knee flexion minimal and have a controlled and slow lowering as you load the hip and stretch it under load.
  • https://youtu.be/UeSqJlXDn8M
Glute-Emphasis Shrimp Squat
  • Shrimp squats already have a lot of glute stimulation, but increase this to replicate the split squat form of a strong 30-45 degree lean, plus the slow lowering and stretch under load of a reverse lunge. In my experience, this variation carries over to the standard shrimp squat and barbell squat variations tremendously, since glutes are often a weakpoint for people. Glute weakness is the reason many people who are great pistol squatters still struggle to master the shrimp squat, or the reverse nordic curl for that manner.
Pulling

Glute-Emphasis Hyperextensions
Glute-Emphasis Reverse Hypers
Reverse Nordic Curl (Banded)
  • Not exactly a pulling movement, but it felt strange to classify as a pushing movement.
  • With a band and hip band, plus some extra weight, the reverse nordic ends up being more of a hip/glute exercise than a quad one. This is because of the more intense hip extension, and your legs being curled preventing hamstrings from taking over as much, You do still get a great quad stretch and pump as well, so it's a win-win. I think the first person to manage a one leg reverse nordic will have immense hip strength.
Trunk

Band External Rotation (Obliques + Glutes)
  • Trains your hips to work in rotation in conjunction with your trunk, very applicable to many athletic activities involving rotation.
  • https://youtu.be/19p6nWFHaRI
RKC Plank (Abs + Glutes)
Side Plank Hip Abduction (Obliques + Glutes)
Glute Isolation Exercises

Moderate-intensity exercises for isolating the glutes, useful as accessory work to the main glute movements. These are generally secondary exercises after hip thrusts and/or single leg DLs.

Band Pullthrough
  • Can be trained for high volume or high intensity, depending on strength of bands.
  • https://youtu.be/ZuKowDpVVXM
  • Upright Hip Thrust
    • A variation where you put the band on your hips rather than holding it.
Donkey Kicks & Fire Hydrants
Kickbacks
  • A simple and light unilateral variation to train the glutes for high reps. Much better with bands or ankle weights.
  • https://youtu.be/_gdXpFWGtFI
Glute Medius and Minimus Exercises

Low-intensity exercises primarily targetting the smaller gluteal muscles. Note that it is not feasible to truly "isolate" the medius and minimus from the maximus when training, but you can still emphasize them. These are good to either put in the beginning or end of a workout, as they are not very taxing generally. Usually trained for higher reps as they are less intense.

Abductions
Clamshells (Hip External Rotations)/Hip Internal Rotations
Frog Hip Thrust
  • A hip-thrust variation using the frog stance. Cannot be loaded as heavily as the standard hip thrust due to the more challenging leverage. That actually plays in our favor as a calisthenics trainee, less external load to worry about.
  • https://youtube.com/shorts/uJNGZniNXOA?feature=share
Frog Pump
  • Similar to the frog hip thrust, this is a glute bridge in frog stance, usually done for very high rep pump work (sets of 20-50). The primary difference is that it is done from the floor, not with shoulders on a bench like the frog thrust.
  • https://youtu.be/MQ62r2V7Lw8
Frog Reverse Hyper
Monster Walks

@raykay Yes indeed, this series should be in the wiki for sure! Good work, OP, I'll be digesting and working on this. My posterior chain is in need of a kick in the butt!

Props for the shout out to Contreras. Although he's now known as "the glute guy", folks here might also enjoy his earlier book, Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy as a reference guide.

@raykay Where are we with societal norms & dudes with big asses / or chasing after a big ass?

All sexual innuendo aside, imo it's a mighty muscle to build for aesthetics & having a strong/youthful appearance. I honestly feel that men in their never-ending chase for big arms, seem to neglect so many other muscles that add major points to aesthetics [if they don't care about that, fair game].

I only recently started noticing particular physique progress [it's slow & gradual] and it was a mild surprise to realize that the combined with all the surrounding muscles, the glutes are currently one of my favs in terms of appearance!

@atheautistic If it makes you feel better I have big cheeks but I would say it was unintentional. Apparently wrestling, squats and decent genetics gave me cheeks my my sister and exes envied. When I'm off work I'll share with the class.

@atheautistic If it can encourage anyone here, I'm a big butt owner who loves men with big butts too. Developed butt and thighs are very appealing. And to the dudes out there who don't have big butts, you look great too!

@atheautistic

I feel like it's not talked about enough socially to determine whether or not if it's accepted or rejected...

I'm focusing on glutes right now. It just feels empowering honestly

@raykay One I didn’t see mentioned is broad jumps (standing long jumps). It’s probably the highest intensity hip extension I can think of that’s pure bodyweight since it just increases intensity as you get stronger and jump further, assuming you’re working to generate power from the hinging movement. Not sure of the most effective way to program it, but I’ll throw in a 5x5 of it on leg day sometimes and it always hits hard.

@jhfreeman This made me think of kneeling jumps, ie. jumps where you start on your knees and have to jump to your feet. It pretty much forces you to have to hinge and I think therefore targets the glute even more.

And you can increase intensity in the same way by just trying to land on your feet further from where you started.

IDK how they compare exactly to broad jumps.

@raykay Any suggestions for problems progressing from RDL to 1-leg RDL? I've found my ankle stabilization somehow became garbage and have been doing 3x 2-minute 1-leg stands for 6 weeks. 1-leg RDLs are better but still wobbly af.

@binh04101988 Kickstand RDLs are an intermediate progression, get your back foot behind you further over time until you are eventually doing single leg RDLs.

Also, being lightly supported by the wall with your hand as you learn the motion is fine with RDLs. You're not doing much to decrease the load, just learning to gradually stabilize.

Besides that, strengthen your glutes and hips with other exercises. Much of the stabilization issues may be from weak hips rather than weak ankles.

@raykay I think an overlooked exercise for hammies in this sub is a straight legged hip thrust/bridge, straight leg gets the hamstrings involves in comparison to a bent knee one you often see.

@raykay Hi there! Thanks for the writeup. I believe I would need some clarification.

I've decided that my goal is to do nordic curls (and the reverse), a one-legged squat, Hip thrusts and an isometric glute bridge. That is basically my full lower-body workout.

Reading this, my questions are:

Does this cover the hinge n glutes? Anything missing or anything to add or remove? Is there a lower body part im missing with this?

What kind of one legged squats? Shrimps or pistols? Seems like they are more different than what ive understood.

Cheers

@enchanteddjsnj Those exercises would definitely cover all of your basics. Pistols or shrimps, either is fine. Pistols are usually a bit easier to master. They're both just different exercises that could fill in as a leg press.

@raykay What lower body exercises don't target the glutes? My glutes seem to be very active in literally any lower body movement I do except Sissy squats.

Back