Glute Training With Calisthenics: A Guide to Hip Strength

@613jono There's a difference between glutes being involved and them being the primary muscle targetted. More hip-dominant exercises will favor the glutes, with the extreme of that being pure glute exercises likes hip thrusts.

It's funny you feel no glute work in sissy squat, I actually feel mine working a ton in those, but less in other calisthenics movements.

@raykay Quick question if you have a second. I'm doing 531 SSL (so not a body weight fitness routine) and I'm trying to do 2 leg exercises (especially focusing on glutes) on my bench and press days for accessories (so 4 total per week). Would a bridge progression (later thrusts) and band side steps one day, split squats and side lunges on the other be a good combination? I started off doing those exercises for rehab for running (my glutes weren't firing enough which made my knees hurt for some reason), but I've been healthy for quite a while at this point so I think I can start messing around with them. I might try to add RKC planks too.

And thank you for the in depth guide! This very useful. I have always had issues with my glutes so it is always nice to get more information on training them.

@jkatt Yes, all of those would be excellent. That should be sufficient for glute training. For running or other endurance sports, it's good to work up to your glutes tolerating a lot of volume and short rest times so they don't fatigue too early during longer activity. Of course getting stronger is still important, but specificity can help improve the carryover.

@raykay Feels like this post belongs to the wrong subreddit. For something like the fitness subreddit or xxfitness subreddit, definitely. But definitely not for a bodyweight training subreddit.

For a glute training specifically for bodyweight training these are what matters most:
  1. Thoracic bridge progressions is not only an incredibly important mobility exercise, it also scales incredibly well for bodyweight strength exercises. From helping to counter-balance the amount of hollow strength built up for high level bodyweight strength, acting as “test” for opening up hips for high level bodyweight strength, used as a progression for developing headstand push-ups, or to help to develop the hollowback/reverse planche etc. If someone wants to venture out into the world of tumbling, the thoracic bridge only continues to grow in importance.
I could go on and on about the possibilities, progressions, benefits, as well as the effects on of the thoracic bridge progressions on glutes. Especially if you put that into context vs exercise like hip thrusts or a glute bridge. Exercises like hip thrusts may be good for bodybuilding (especially when weighted heavily), but for bodyweight training, these would be equivalent to doing exercises like incline push-ups. Good and useful at a certain time in a person’s progression, but definitely as important as the post puts it.

There are lots of more important beginner exercises for glute in bodyweight training such as arch body variations or table variations that all falls under the umbrella of thoracic bridge instead of over-focusing on hip thrusts and glute bridge. If you can do a reasonable amount of sets/reps of hip thrusts/glute bridge, I would quickly move on to these exercises I talked about for glute development for thoracic bridge
  1. Besides thoracic bridge, another important gluteus maximus development for bodyweight training is focusing on “reverse leg lift.” The post did mentioned reverse-hypers. But I felt like it significantly under-appreciate the importance of this exercise for bodyweight training.
The movement “reverse leg lift” is extremely critical for bodyweight training - this is what you are working on in press handstands. By working on Press handstands, it exposes you to a whole avenue of strength and mobility that you are simply not exposed to in traditional strength training. Again just like in thoracic bridge - this can be scaled in countless ways, from doing reverse leg on benches, to doing them on stall bars, rings etc. From doing them inverted like headstands to forearm headstands. From doing them in tuck, straddle, Pike etc. And once you get to press handstand, it just continues to scale on and on. From a standing press handstand, pressing from L-sits, to doing one arm press handstands.
  1. Besides glute max development (especially covered in thoracic bridge and reverse leg lift movements), glute medius development is also heavily featured in bodyweight strength training.
This is where exercises like straddle, pancake mobility, and middle split mobility comes into focus. Glute medius for mobility is extremely important in bodyweight training. For glute medius for bodyweightmobility, that’s a huge topic in itself.

But so is glute medius for bodyweight strength. Especially when we’re talking about properly performing Straddle-L or even straddle positions like in straddle planche or straddle front lever. When you see someone who has their legs sagging while doing a straddle planche, it is because of glute medius weakness. And not doing bodyweight training-specific gluteus medius exercises.

This one in particular is one of my favorites for beginners:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/gymfit/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Prone-Half-SPL.jpg

Great for straddle developement, and again, this has numerous options to scale for beginners

@joshdk I already addressed bridging and reverse hypers in a separate post for training the core and low back. https://www.reddit.com/user/Prowlan...ndroidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

I do agree they're important patterns to master. They are excellent, but do not serve the same purpose as glute-specific strength training.

I entirely disagree about glute training with hip thrusts/glute bridges not being relevant to a calisthenics athlete at later stages. All lower body compound exercises involve the glutes, they're important for whole body rotation, maximal hip extension, explosive movement, stabilization, etc. Plus, there will still be strength carryover to the high-skill movements you are describing.

If anything, a foundation of basic glute strength becomes more relevant as you advance. Are more specific exercises useful? Of course! But basic strength exercises still serve a purpose in advanced programming. A well-structured lower body program should address both.

I've attached some video examples of typical lower body conditioning for gymnastics, as you can see, there is a blend of basic glute strength exercises in conjunction with the more specialized movements.

https://youtu.be/gIuFr235Gts

@raykay Do you think working on full bridge and nordic progressions is enough to cover the glutes? (however that sounds)

In the sense that they are not neglected if that's all the dedicated posterior chain work that you do, not counting some carryover from squats (trying to work up to a pistol squat, although my mobility sucks).

@fearisnothing Full bridge is more of an isometric stretch/mobility exercise. It's good to train but many people would benefit from supplemental glute work as well.

Pistol squats do not have much glute involvement, so I would not count them as supplemental volume. Nordics do involve the glutes but are primarily hamstring focused.

@raykay
Full bridge is more of an isometric stretch/mobility exercise. It's good to train but many people would benefit from supplemental glute work as well.

But you need pretty strong glutes to even get into the position with proper form, right?

@fearisnothing Shrimp squats are more hip-dominant and have greater hip stabilization requirements than the pistol squat, which is more knee-dominant. As your torso is leaning further forward in a shrimp squat (compared to a pistol), the mechanics shift more of the workload to the hips. This is the key point of distinction between the shrimp and pistol, they're otherwise fairly similar movements.

A good comparison is how a back squat is more hip-dominant than a front squat, the difference being the torso angle. You can actually test this idea out yourself with a bodyweight bulgarian split squat. Do a split squat with the typical upright 90 degree torso position, then do a split squat with a substantial forward lean, like a 45 degree lean. You should be able to feel the difference in how much your glutes are involved in the movement.

There's unfortunately not a ton of research concerning the shrimp squat, but similar movements like the bulgarian split squat have been studied. This is what I could pull up regarding the role of forward lean and hip extension in single leg squat movements.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...0QFnoECBwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw08UFgw5wf1XnXLUXbtyeTV

@raykay Thank you for an in-depth answer, as always.

Theoretically then, reversing this principle by holding a kettlebel in front of you as both load and counterweight so you can stay straight when doing a pistol squat, would give you a good way to hit the quads, right?

Back