Goals

@lovelylady35 Congrats on being a year out from your cancer treatment! Medical trauma is real, and the fact that you’re working out and trying to stay healthy is commendable. The bottom line is that no one needs to know anyone’s goals, and it may be 6 more months before you’re even ready to tackle some of the exercises.

Just tell the gym staff that your main goal is to continue to feel good enough to show up regularly and you’ll let them know if that changes. They should leave you alone.

@lovelylady35 I feel my way is dissimilar to the typical way most crossfitters do things. I am not at all motivated by other people encouraging me. I find it super annoying, because it distracts me from what I feel is by far the most important part of the exercise, namely my own ability to push myself. Everytime some stranger yells "one more", "all the way up" or "you can do this" I just lose the hard earned internal focus I have carefully mustered for myself. I cope with this interruption by thinking of the external encouragement as challenges put before me to test my ability to focus under stress.

Further, I am not motivated by numbers so much. Of course it is great beating your own PRs, but I find it much more rewarding to ro know that I pushed myself harder than before, no matter the outcome. I feel terrible if I had a weak moment and skimped on the wod that day.

I also take pride in being 100% injury free after 4 years of weekly crossfit. I don't go to the gym unless I know with myself that my body is healthy and restituted fully. It is sometimes hard to stay away, but I know it is the right choice, and coming back feels amazing, and usually gives inspiration ro a really great performance thereafter.

In many ways this kind of exercise is a profoundly personal experience. Yes you are in a social setting, but your internal motivations are your own private secrets. Only you can keep yourself accountable.

Back